A question for our Right leaning RJers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    Weird how this thread has turned into "is California thriving or dying?".
    I know huh LOL.

But I guess Calif and is it doing well or not might be a small illustration of the differences between the Right and Left.

Some in here think it's not, but not one of em are Libs

Sure High taxes, Regulations, lots of social programs, $15+ livable wages, sanctuary cities immigrant friendly, pro education and anti Trump/current Admin mentality make it unattractive to some--but not folks like me.

To the links, The Forbs article basically said Cali's rate of debt is unsustainable not that the economy was bad now. It didn't take into account what can and might be done to correct future fiscal issues. The homeless article (posted twice) only mentions numbers and the title is somewhat misleading--While there are 250K homeless in Ca, that's spread out among 40 million people in the state so Cali, though leading in the actual number does not in per capita. What you don't see is the answers to WHY homeless gather in CA rather than other states. Take some time, find out for yourselves and you'll see the answe4rs are pretty common ensue and not at all some indication that California is doing badly.

I love living here, it fits my moral standard and I'll gladly pay higher taxes to reap the benefits of being a Californian. Homelessness? That's a topic for another thread as it's very complex. But Ca's just fine for the avg citizen.

But thanks for the links.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have lived in both California and Texas and love them both, but my wife and I seem to be the only people in the world who feel this way.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        I have lived in both California and Texas and love them both, but my wife and I seem to be the only people in the world who feel this way.
        Playing Cowboys and Hippies is quiet fun. I had to do both filtered through Wisconsin.

Do you have a preference for one or the other? What about Mrs. Kevin?

Comment

Same here, grew up in San Diego (live back here now) but went to College in Texas and was stationed there when I was in the Military all in all, living, Military and school, I was there about 10 years. Loved it. I can see the allure of both states regardless of their politics.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Playing Cowboys and Hippies is quiet fun. I had to do both filtered through Wisconsin.

Do you have a preference for one or the other? What about Mrs. Kevin?
            Her family is in Texas, my family is in Kansas/Oklahoma, so that plays a part in where we are located now. If that were out of the equation, wow that would be a tough choice. Cost of living probably factors in, too. But if you take that out--I don't know, it's hard to make that choice in the abstract. I love both places, would be happy in either.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Her family is in Texas, my family is in Kansas/Oklahoma, so that plays a part in where we are located now. If that were out of the equation, wow that would be a tough choice. Cost of living probably factors in, too. But if you take that out--I don't know, it's hard to make that choice in the abstract. I love both places, would be happy in either.
              That's what Austin is for, no?
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                That's what Austin is for, no?
                In terms of political mix, I love Austin. You have hippies and good ol' boys living next to each other, and for me, that's perfect.

I love the geography of California, though. Having both the beach and the mountains within a couple hours drive is hard to beat. And the weather is generally pretty spectacular, too.

I have also heard people say, and I think it's true, that the farther west you move in the United States, in general the more open people are to new experiences and taking on challenges and risks, because those places were settled by people who kept pushing out farther on the frontier. And there's a lot in that that appeals to me. One of my grandfathers was a pioneer who homesteaded in the Oklahoma Panhandle after being uprooted from south Texas by the great Galveston Hurricane of 1900. My other grandfather was the son of a Ukrainian immigrant who farmed the prairies of Manitoba until his first wife died, and then he moved to Kansas to find a new wife and mother for his four young children and started a farm and had three more children there on the Kansas prairie. I felt at home with that spirit in California, where people are always pushing and thinking about the world and the future. There is definitely some of that in Texas, too, but not as much as in California. In California it is just assumed that you are a citizen of the world and need to be engaged with important issues of the day and always growing your thinking because the world is changing, chaotic, growing place. (At least that was my experience in Fremont and San Jose. You can tell me if your Philly to Sacramento experience is different.)

Comment

Working...
                X