Justin Trudeau in blackface scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nots View Post
    Seems like situational ethics to me but I will ask,’do you think the governor of Virginia should be removed from office over wearing blackface’?
    Probably not a basis to remove someone from office, no. I think it's the sort of thing that should guarantee him a serious primary challenge, though, which is what steamed me about Bob Menendez.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      If you're choosing between a guy with great policies and a high level of competence who did a stupid blackface thing once, and a guy with terrible policies and low competence who didn't do a blackface thing once, then it shouldn't necessarily be decisive, no. I will concede I don't follow Canadian politics nearly close enough to know whether that was essentially the choice in this election, but ultimately I think voters should be making the choice that they think will optimize future results/impacts, which is driven by a combination of policies, values, competence, and the broader geo-political context.
      are you talking about trudo? if you are, this video sums up the "high level of competence" as trudo is completely lost without a script to read from.

“We have recently switched to drinking water bottles out of… water out of… when we have water bottles out of plastic. Sorry! Away from plastic towards paper like drink-box water bottles sort of things,” replied the Prime Minister.

and it wasn't just "once" trudo was video'ed/photographed mocking with blackface.
      at least three times - teen age years through teaching position at age 29 -
      in fact, when originally outed, he said he is embarrassed for his action. then a second video, "oh, sorry". then a third - trudo refuses to specifically say "there are no more instances".
      but this is trudo's M.O. when under pressure.
      in the snc scandal, in his first pressor "the allegations are 100% false". 15 versions later, he was convicted of ethics violations (in a nutshell, trying to use the power of his position as Prime Minister to overrule the law of Canada)

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Excellent result, Liberal minority depending on the NDP to get anything done. They say most minority governments only last 18-24 months, but they're usually more productive than majorities. This was exactly the scenario I was hoping for.

I'm somewhat disappointed by NDP's lower than expected vote total, but my party of choice now has 2 years to pressure the Libs to enact NDP ideas, while preparing for a short turnaround to another election. Can't complain about that.

Also some hope for much needed electoral reform, after the Green party walk away with 3 seats out of 338 despite around 10% support nationally. If Libs continue to refuse to do this, as they promised the first time, they might get turfed for it.
      Progressive Conservatives received the most votes overall.

Teen - I don't know much about the differences, can you tell me why electoral reform is better than current Canadian system.

Some numbers:

- at 33%, trudo won with the lowest percentage of votes in the history of federal elections in Canada's history
      - only one other Prime Minister was ever elected with lower than 35%
      - two entire provinces (Alberta, Sask) has zero liberal representation
      - west of Ontario, liberals won just 15 out of 94 seats. I couldn't call this an entire country backing trudo for PM
      - the most votes went to Mr.Scheer

it seems that in Canada as in the U.S., lib/dems dominate big city voting
      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 10-23-2019, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        are you talking about trudo? if you are, this video sums up the "high level of competence" as trudo is completely lost without a script to read from.

“We have recently switched to drinking water bottles out of… water out of… when we have water bottles out of plastic. Sorry! Away from plastic towards paper like drink-box water bottles sort of things,” replied the Prime Minister.

and it wasn't "once". at least three times over the course of teen age years through teaching position at age 29 and trudo refuses to specifically say "there are no more instances". in fact, when originally outed, he said he is embarrassed for his action. then a second video, "oh, sorry". then a third. but this is trudo's M.O. in the snc scandal, his first pressor "the allegations are 100% false". 15 versions later, he was convicted of ethics violations (in a nutshell, trying to use the power of his position as Prime Minister to overrule the law of Canada)

Progressive Conservatives received the most votes overall.

Teen - I don't know much about the differences, can you tell me why electoral reform is better than current Canadian system.

Some numbers:

- at 33%, trudo won with the lowest percentage of votes in the history of federal elections in Canada's history
        - only one other Prime Minister was ever elected with lower than 35%
        - the most votes went to Mr.Scheer, with PC winning ridings from coast to coast
        - west of Ontario, liberals won just 15 out of 94 seats. I couldn't call this an entire country backing trudo for PM

it seems that in Canada as in the U.S., lib/dems dominate big city voting
        I'm no fan of Trudeau. I think he's an elite looking out for elites' interests, while relying on embarrassing woke signaling and broken promises on the environment, indigenous reconciliation, and more. He's been a real failure.

The reason we need electoral reform, much like the US, is to find a ways to better represent the vote totals in government, and to make sure everybody who votes gets representation. Ranked choice voting is being talked about widely these days. I found this article on the topic pretty helpful. Andrew Yang made a good point, saying that it leads to less negative campaigning, as candidates try to appeal as a 2nd or 3rd choice rather than attacking. Interesting concept.

the-pros-and-cons-of-ranked-choice-voting

I'm not sure of other ideas being talked about, as I regrettably devote much more time to American politics.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          are you talking about trudo?
          No, I was addressing nots' question about whether appearing in black/brownface should always be decisively disqualifying in the abstract. I conceded that I don't follow Canadian politics.

Comment

Excellent result, Liberal minority depending on the NDP to get anything done. They say most minority governments only last 18-24 months, but they're usually more productive than majorities. This was exactly the scenario I was hoping for.

I'm somewhat disappointed by NDP's lower than expected vote total, but my party of choice now has 2 years to pressure the Libs to enact NDP ideas, while preparing for a short turnaround to another election. Can't complain about that.
            Since some were asking for the Canadian perspective, tw's opinion above pretty much captures my sentiments as well. I don't think there will be a quick election tho - none of the parties are in any kind of a position to run a successful campaign, all the purses are pretty much empty. Compromise will rule the day ... which isn't a bad place to be, IMO.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'm no fan of Trudeau. I think he's an elite looking out for elites' interests, while relying on embarrassing woke signaling and broken promises on the environment, indigenous reconciliation, and more. He's been a real failure.

The reason we need electoral reform, much like the US, is to find a ways to better represent the vote totals in government, and to make sure everybody who votes gets representation. Ranked choice voting is being talked about widely these days. I found this article on the topic pretty helpful. Andrew Yang made a good point, saying that it leads to less negative campaigning, as candidates try to appeal as a 2nd or 3rd choice rather than attacking. Interesting concept.

the-pros-and-cons-of-ranked-choice-voting

I'm not sure of other ideas being talked about, as I regrettably devote much more time to American politics.
              I agree regarding trudo.

and thanks for the link, I shall take a look.

Comment

Working...
              X