Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    It's a name ripe for teasing. Pronounced 'Acne-Pinis-Kum'

I went to school with some folks who had the same name, except for them it was spelled 'Achnepeniskum'. Not fair for any child to endure, especially Indigenous kids with a lot more going on.
    Wow. I thought my way of pronouncing was bad.

I think I would try to save up the $200 bucks to legally change my name.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Wow. I thought my way of pronouncing was bad.

I think I would try to save up the $200 bucks to legally change my name.
      Ha, me too. My mother misspelled my name on my BC--it was supposed to be Sean, but it is actually, legally, Seon. I have always been too lazy, cheap to change it. It has caused me problems when I travel, though, because my SS card is Sean, and all my credit cards are too. But yeah, lazy or not, if that were my name, I'd change it, unless I was really proud of my background/family name.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        it was supposed to be Sean, but it is actually, legally, Sean.
        Seems like an easy mistake to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Seems like an easy mistake to make.
          Haha, I am so used to writing it that way...I meant Seon. I made the mistake of showing my licence to friends in HS and college, so many of them, of course, called me Seon, rhymes with Leon, to annoy me.

Comment

Haha, I am so used to writing it that way...I meant Seon. I made the mistake of showing my licence to friends in HS and college, so many of them, of course, called me Seon, rhymes with Leon, to annoy me.
            I'd wager that you can count on Steve 2.0 to ride in on his white horse and start calling you Seon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              I'd wager that you can count on Steve 2.0 to ride in on his white horse and start calling you Seon as well.
              I would think Steve 2.0 of all people would be comfortable with me using an alias.

Comment

I would think Steve 2.0 of all people would be comfortable with me using an alias.
                I don't know what you mean. Steve 2.0 is his only identity. There were rumors that he used other names on this site, but those are unfounded and have never been proven.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                  I don't know what you mean. Steve 2.0 is his only identity. There were rumors that he used other names on this site, but those are unfounded and have never been proven.
                  And just as the Stevenix rose from the ashes of steve

He 2.0 will rise from the flames

with more multiple identities than ever before.

Comment

It looks like the liberals held on. Curious what our Canadian posters think about how it shook out.

Comment

It looks like the liberals held on. Curious what our Canadian posters think about how it shook out.
                      Excellent result, Liberal minority depending on the NDP to get anything done. They say most minority governments only last 18-24 months, but they're usually more productive than majorities. This was exactly the scenario I was hoping for.

I'm somewhat disappointed by NDP's lower than expected vote total, but my party of choice now has 2 years to pressure the Libs to enact NDP ideas, while preparing for a short turnaround to another election. Can't complain about that.

Also some hope for much needed electoral reform, after the Green party walk away with 3 seats out of 338 despite around 10% support nationally. If Libs continue to refuse to do this, as they promised the first time, they might get turfed for it.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I guess we can now say with certainty that blackface isn’t really an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                          I guess we can now say with certainty that blackface isn’t really an issue.
                          No. We can say that it's not decisive.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            No. We can say that it's not decisive.
                            Shouldn’t it be decisive?

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                              Shouldn’t it be decisive?
                              If you're choosing between a guy with great policies and a high level of competence who did a stupid blackface thing once, and a guy with terrible policies and low competence who didn't do a blackface thing once, then it shouldn't necessarily be decisive, no. I will concede I don't follow Canadian politics nearly close enough to know whether that was essentially the choice in this election, but ultimately I think voters should be making the choice that they think will optimize future results/impacts, which is driven by a combination of policies, values, competence, and the broader geo-political context.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                If you're choosing between a guy with great policies and a high level of competence who did a stupid blackface thing once, and a guy with terrible policies and low competence who didn't do a blackface thing once, then it shouldn't necessarily be decisive, no. I will concede I don't follow Canadian politics nearly close enough to know whether that was essentially the choice in this election, but ultimately I think voters should be making the choice that they think will optimize future results/impacts, which is driven by a combination of policies, values, competence, and the broader geo-political context.
                                Seems like situational ethics to me but I will ask,’do you think the governor of Virginia should be removed from office over wearing blackface’?

Comment

Working...
                                X