Unplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unplugged

Got away camping the past week, largely unplugged. We had our phones with us but checked in only once a day for emergency calls, that was it. Coming back I see there's a hurricane, there were a few shootings, and biggest shock of all, some people are arguing politics in the Hot Button forum.

My general takeaway being unplugged that long - the internet era has imposed on us the ability - and seemingly the need - to respond to everything immediately. Twenty-five years ago we would read the news in the morning, maybe check out the news on tv in the evening, but that was it. This need to respond, urgently it seems, to everything is adding so much stress on top of all the normal stresses - going forward I'm really going to try to consciously resist that feeling. Taking time to think, consider, mull things over ... these are important things.

I recommend unplugging if you can. Perspective is a good thing.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    Got away camping the past week, largely unplugged. We had our phones with us but checked in only once a day for emergency calls, that was it. Coming back I see there's a hurricane, there were a few shootings, and biggest shock of all, some people are arguing politics in the Hot Button forum.

My general takeaway being unplugged that long - the internet era has imposed on us the ability - and seemingly the need - to respond to everything immediately. Twenty-five years ago we would read the news in the morning, maybe check out the news on tv in the evening, but that was it. This need to respond, urgently it seems, to everything is adding so much stress on top of all the normal stresses - going forward I'm really going to try to consciously resist that feeling. Taking time to think, consider, mull things over ... these are important things.

If I go off grid, who's going to deliver my pizza?
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
      If I go off grid, who's going to deliver my pizza?
      Door dash, he said he took his phone......
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

You sound like my Grandson's Grandpa.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Door dash, he said he took his phone......
          MY pizza, not his.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            You sound like my Grandson's Grandpa.
            I see what you did there.

Comment

if you're at a campground on sunday morning as everyone leaves grab the firewood they leave behind. there will be competition for it like 2 old guys driving trucks and a bunch of 8 year olds pulling plastic wagons or even hooked up to a bicycle. just flip the kids the bird every time you beat them to it, because they'll steal wood from people still camping. and after when you see the old guys in the trucks, rub it in and point out how much you kicked their ass.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                if you're at a campground on sunday morning as everyone leaves grab the firewood they leave behind. there will be competition for it like 2 old guys driving trucks and a bunch of 8 year olds pulling plastic wagons or even hooked up to a bicycle. just flip the kids the bird every time you beat them to it, because they'll steal wood from people still camping. and after when you see the old guys in the trucks, rub it in and point out how much you kicked their ass.
                that's a thing for sure, but it's a spectator sport for me ... I'm happy to sit there sipping my coffee, watching people try to save on a bit of kindling ...
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

that's a thing for sure, but it's a spectator sport for me ... I'm happy to sit there sipping my coffee, watching people try to save on a bit of kindling ...
                  You Canadians are so polite.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                    You Canadians are so polite.
                    or lazy. sometimes they're related.

Comment

We did the same thing over the August long weekend Greg. 5 days @ Bon Echo. Only checked my phone for 5 mins in the a.m. so as to not lose business sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                        We did the same thing over the August long weekend Greg. 5 days @ Bon Echo. Only checked my phone for 5 mins in the a.m. so as to not lose business sales.
                        hey, long time no see. hope all is well.

edit: that was your 666th post ... better get another one in quick ...

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                          hey, long time no see. hope all is well.

edit: that was your 666th post ... better get another one in quick ...

Comment

Agent Smith : I killed you, Mr. Anderson. I watched you die... with a certain satisfaction, I might add. Then something happened. something that I knew was impossible, but it happened anyway. You destroyed me, Mr. Anderson. After that, I understood the rules, I knew what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey. And now, here I stand because of you, Mr. Anderson. Because of you, I'm no longer an Agent of this system. Because of you, I've changed. I'm unplugged. A new man, so to speak. Like you, apparently, free.

Neo : Congratulations.

Agent Smith : Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X