Cataract Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cataract Surgery

Anyone here ever go through this? I'm scheduled for both eyes, one in three months the other a month after. I've heard some good things about this and one horror story. If you've taken that step, care to share your experience?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

So you're saying your old...

Both of may parents have had both eyes done. No issues, and helped them both.

I hope it goes well for you!
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Anyone here ever go through this? I'm scheduled for both eyes, one in three months the other a month after. I've heard some good things about this and one horror story. If you've taken that step, care to share your experience?
      a friend of mine had this surgery one month ago. he said to me that he didn't realize how blind he was. no issues either post surgery. good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        I will have this done eventually. I assume you will get the lens implants. I plan to get the "bi-focal" implants. They allow you to see both near and far distances. With the "unifocal" ones you'll need glasses in order to read. I dont know whether the bi-focal ones would be covered by your insurance or MediCare.

Good luck w whatever you do. What was the horror story?

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
          I will have this done eventually. I assume you will get the lens implants. I plan to get the "bi-focal" implants. They allow you to see both near and far distances. With the "unifocal" ones you'll need glasses in order to read. I dont know whether the bi-focal ones would be covered by your insurance or MediCare.

Good luck w whatever you do. What was the horror story?
          I have to get toric lenses as I also have astigmatism in both eyes

So yeah, I'm getting old lol
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

My mom had cataracts removed from both eyes a few years ago. I believe her surgeries were also done a month apart. No problems at all with the surgery. Although she hates having to use reading glasses lol.

Don't let a horror story scare you away from getting the surgery. Years ago, my now deceased grandfather was too stubborn/scared to get the cataract surgeries that he needed. Years later he ended up with no vision at all in one eye and only 20% vision in the other eye, making him legally blind. Cataract surgery could have saved his vision.
            Last edited by madducks; 08-30-2019, 11:36 PM.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I had both eyes done last year; I told my optometrist that I don't understand why a person has to develop cataracts to have this surgery. It would be better than wearing glasses or contacts for years. I think each procedure lasted all of 5 minutes, if that. Since I had monovision contacts (right eye was distance; left eye was reading), I insisted that my lens be the same way. You do have lifting restrictions afterwards, but that's no big deal. You will be astounded at the improvement in the clarity of your vision. Everything will be brighter and more distinct. I wasn't aware of the lack of quality in my eyesight until the eyes were done. You'll be like a little kid with a new toy.
              I did have one minor situation with my right eye. Occasionally the new lens will develop something like protein deposits on it. After 6 months they can laser those deposits which will never come back. That was my only 'negative', if it can be called that.
              Good luck and let us know.

Comment

My grandfather always called the day he had his done, many years ago, the best day of his life. It was a whole new world.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I am quietly looking forward to the surgery because of stories and experiences much like the ones shared here. Only a couple I've spoken with have had bad experiences. I'll let you know how it goes it will the end of the year before both are finished.
                  Again thanks for the feedback.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Byron had eye surgery recently, you might ask him about it.

Hope it goes well, as others have noted this one tends to be a life changer from the anecdotes I've heard. I hope it as positive for you as well.

Comment

I don't know if you wear glasses, but I spent a month reaching for my non-existent glasses every morning, out of habit.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                        I don't know if you wear glasses, but I spent a month reaching for my non-existent glasses every morning, out of habit.
                        Should have pranked yourself with lensless glasses.

Comment

Working...
                        X