NL Only blockbuster trade (help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Only blockbuster trade (help!)

My NL Only team is pretty stacked after recent trades, but I have 1 final offer to ponder. 12 teams, standard 5x5 categories. Standings: 93.5-92-91.5-89... I'm in 4th with 89.

Biggest factor is managing the $340 salary cap, made slightly easier with daily lineup changes.

C - W. Ramos $9B
    C - T. Wolters $1A
    1B - D. Murphy $32B
    2B - K. Marte $8X
    SS - T. Story $39A
    3B - J. Turner $12X
    OF1 - B. Harper $48A
    OF2 - Y. Puig $31X
    OF3 - K. Schwarber $15 ('20)
    OF4 - M. Margot $5B
    OF5 - A. Eaton $16A
    CI - JD Davis $4A
    MI - C. Moran $1A
    UT - M. Moustakas $32A

TOTAL $253

BENCH

1 - R. Quinn $4A
    2 - B. Dozier $22A
    3 - Melky Cabrera $1A
    4 - G. Hampson $5F

DL - A. Verdugo $5F

PITCHING

1 - N. Anderson $3X
    2 - P. Baez $1A
    3 - D. Pomeranz $1A
    4 - J. Jeffress $6A
    5 - J. Hader $13B
    6 - M. Melancon $1A
    7 - R. Iglesias $22A
    8 - J. Samardzija $2A
    9 - V. Velazquez $5A

TOTAL $54

BENCH

1 - Z. Greinke $31X
    2 - C. Paddack $21A

DL #1 - M. Scherzer $55A
    DL #2 - C. Kimbrel $60A
    DL #3 - D. Steckenrider $1X

With daily transactions, I'm able to rotate Scherzer/Greinke/Paddack into the final slot. Kimbrel $60 is going to be brutal to fit under $340. I could have him in the lineup on cheap pitching days, only if I bench Harper $48 in favor of Quinn $4 or if I bench Moustakas $32 in favour of Melky $1. SB + SV are both areas for me to gain, so I'll probably keep Quinn starting in favour of a pricy bat, especially to get Kimbrel in there too.

I thought I had finished with trading up. My problem is I've been floated a trade idea, and I know it would help me this year, but further complicates my salary cap issue. I give up Gavin Lux $5 when activated with 3 years until extension.

Lux (Farm) + Verdugo $5F + T. Wolters $1A + B. Dozier $22A

for W. Buehler $5A + Y. Grandal $11B + K. Wong $11B

Buehler $5 would replace Jeffress $6, Grandal upgrade is significant (maybe 5-7 HR, 20 RBI, 20 R), flipping Dozier for Wong provides $11 extra cap space when plugging Wong for Ketel, and Ketel for expensive OF to fit more pitching... so I like that. Plus the BA boost, and few SB.

I need to keep 4 of my 6 bench spots for pitchers to manage the salary cap. 2 bench bats should be OF & INF to cover injury, both cheap and regulars (Quinn $4 & Wong $11) Is it worth giving up both Lux (MILB numbers are insane) and Verdugo with only 6 weeks of the season left?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    but further complicates my salary cap issue.
    How does it complicate your cap? It seems like you are dropping salary with the Dozier swap but maybe I'm missing it.

flipping Dozier for Wong provides $11 extra cap space when plugging Wong for Ketel, and Ketel for expensive OF to fit more pitching... so I like that.
    I agree seems like this gives you space

I need to keep 4 of my 6 bench spots for pitchers to manage the salary cap.
    Wait, currently you have 4 hitters and 2 pitchers on your bench

Is it worth giving up both Lux (MILB numbers are insane) and Verdugo with only 6 weeks of the season left?
    In the abstract maybe not, but aren't you getting Buehler $5A who is actually the best keeper mentioned in the trade??

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      How does it complicate your cap? It seems like you are dropping salary with the Dozier swap but maybe I'm missing it.

I agree seems like this gives you space

Wait, currently you have 4 hitters and 2 pitchers on your bench

In the abstract maybe not, but aren't you getting Buehler $5A who is actually the best keeper mentioned in the trade??
      Adds $10 to the daily salary cap, as Grandal would stay put.

Although Wong saves $11 in cap space, he's usually a bench guy filler, but I need my bench to be cheaper than $22 to give flexibility for the pricey pitchers start days.

Although I have 4 hitters, 2 pitchers, Kimbrel and Scherzer are off the DL in a few days. I will need to drop 2 hitters so that I have flexibility (right now they would be Hampson and Melky). If I dumped Jeffress $6 or Pomeranz $1 it would kill my salary cap flexibility, as it forces a $21 or $31 pitcher into active lineup.

Is a 1st year Buehler a more valuable keeper than Lux with an extra year?
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Adds $10 to the daily salary cap, as Grandal would stay put.

Although Wong saves $11 in cap space, he's usually a bench guy filler, but I need my bench to be cheaper than $22 to give flexibility for the pricey pitchers start days.

Although I have 4 hitters, 2 pitchers, Kimbrel and Scherzer are off the DL in a few days. I will need to drop 2 hitters so that I have flexibility (right now they would be Hampson and Melky). If I dumped Jeffress $6 or Pomeranz $1 it would kill my salary cap flexibility, as it forces a $21 or $31 pitcher into active lineup.
        Makes sense, thank you for the clarification.

Is a 1st year Buehler a more valuable keeper than Lux with an extra year?
        I certainly think he is. I think Lux is at peak value right now personally. He looks good, but I think there is a good chance that he doesn't reach the hype (most prospects do not).

I like this deal for you, and I'd be looking for ways to trade Moustakas or Murphy or Eaton, getting a return that is *close* but with some cap savings. Is everyone facing cap trouble? If not it seems like there's an opportunity out there for a trade.

Comment

Buehler $5A....make this happen.

Comment

That is a lot to pay, but if you have a chance to win, you got to give it a shot.

Comment

flags fly forever!

"Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance
              Everybody thinks it's true"

that's Lux - and Paul Simon
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I would do the trade too, getting walker now and next year...with lux, he won’t be a full time player prob till 2021, the way the dodgers rotate and plug guys for their versatility

Comment

The offer of Wolters $1 + Verdugo $5-0 + Lux for Grandal $11B Buehler $5A was rejected. I believe he wants a sweetener. I have three 2nd Rd farm picks to offer, but I was hoping to use them to swap for a cap friendly 1B, Hosmer $18A might be available, or might be considered a keeper... Thames $6A would be available... not sure who else. Garret Cooper $5A?

I had another thought... is it an overpay to deal just Verdugo with 2 more years until extension for 6 weeks of Grandal $11B? Grandal could be kept for a final year at $11x ig he stays in the NL, but we're moving to 1 catcher slot, so I'm not sure if that's a keeper price. But I'm feeling antsy about Buehler ROS after his poor start against the Marlins yesterday.

Would you prefer the bigger deal if I had to add 2 or 3 of those 2nd rd picks or would you try to hang onto Lux and swap Verdugo for Grandal?

Comment

I'm feeling antsy about Buehler ROS after his poor start against the Marlins yesterday.
                    I wouldn't put that much into 1 start where the guy struck out 6 in 4 IP. He'll be fine (really more than fine, he's one of the top options available in the NL).

Personally I think it's a mistake *not* to make the trade for Buehler, he's too damn good to pass up, but that's just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      I wouldn't put that much into 1 start where the guy struck out 6 in 4 IP. He'll be fine (really more than fine, he's one of the top options available in the NL).

Personally I think it's a mistake *not* to make the trade for Buehler, he's too damn good to pass up, but that's just my opinion!
                      It's also my opinion....strike now, maybe he's worried about Buehler's start also.

Comment

Working...
                      X