trading Harper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading Harper

16-team, 6x6 (AVG, HR, R, RBI, SB-CS, BB-K and W, HD, SV, K, ERA, WHIP)
    $400 in-season cap
    5 SP / 4 P with no season cap
    keep 6 major / 4 minor
    +$3 first 3 years, +$6 after that
    currently in 12th - 80 points

C - Smith $10
    1B - Pujols $10
    2B - Lopez $10
    3B - Pinder $10
    SS - Kingery $9
    CI - Pederson $5
    MI - Merrifield $16 2nd year keeper
    OF - Harper $43 7th year keeper
    OF - Trout $43 7th year keeper
    OF - Benintendi $16 2nd year keeper
    OF - Renfroe $5
    DH - Biggio $5
    SP - Nola $11 3rd year keeper
    SP - Roark $1
    SP - Hudson $5
    SP - Anderson $10
    SP - Paddack $10
    P - Beeks $10
    P - Bradley $8
    P - Anderson Miller $2
    P - Odorizzi $1
    BN - Riley $5
    BN - Beer $10
    BN - Brandon Lowe $9
    BN - Canning $10
    BN - Kikuchi $17
    BN - Toussaint $5
    BN - Sanchez $10
    IL - Rodgers $10
    IL - Hicks $11
    MN - Solak $10
    MN - Lux $10
    MN - Puk $5
    MN - Singer $5

One of the contenders has made another offer for Harper:

Grichuk $5, Darvish $16, Hendricks $10

None of them really interest me that much, but I don't plan on keeping Harper next year so I'd like to get something for him. He has Mondesi $8/1, Conforto $19, and Rutschman $10 that I would be interested in. Thoughts from the RJ crowd?

Go get Mondesi.

Report what his weakest positions are. See what he needs to move up in the categories and try to use your non-keepers combined with Harper to get a deal done. Report back here what his needs are.

Report back what his 5 best contracts are both in active and prospects.

Tell him you are not trading Harper for pitching.

Do not trade Trout.
    Do not trad Lux.

Comment

His weaknesses:
      - 12th in average (11 BA points back)
      - 9th in HR (9 back of picking up 4 points)
      - 9th in RBI (17 back of picking up 4 points)
      - 9th in HD (8 HD back of picking up 3 points)
      - 9th in W (4 W back of picking up 4 points)

His team:
      - C Narvaez $5, 1B Votto $31, 2B Arraez $10, 3B Arenado $37/5, SS Tatis $8
      - OF Conforto $19, Grichuk $5, Margot $3, Winker $8/1
      - CI McMahon $13, MI Hoskins $16/2, DH Tauchman $10
      - SP Buehler $13/1, Darvish $16, Flaherty $8/1, Gioloto $10, Morton $16
      - P Bummer $10, Hand $18, Osuna $19, Workman $10
      - Bench OF Arozarena $10, Polanco $15, MI Schoop $8, MI Mondesi $8/1
      - Bench P Cease $4, Heaney $1, Hendricks $10, Pagan $10
      - IL OF O'Neil $1
      - Minors C Rutschman $10, SS Franco $10, OF Kiriloff $10, P Kopech $1

I've tried offering Harper for Mondesi or Hoskins a month ago, but he valued both of them more than Harper. At that time he said he would only take Harper if I wanted to dump his salary.

Comment

Things change. Mondesi is not helping him and will not until Sept. 1st. Then he has to knock the rust off.

Offer him Harper for Mondesi straight up again.

Comment

He rejected it and offered Darvish. He said Mondesi is a keeper while Harper is a rental.

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post
            He rejected it and offered Darvish. He said Mondesi is a keeper while Harper is a rental.
            Wait, you are in 12th place, and he is rejecting your offers saying he's unwilling to send ... keepers? Um... okay... Does he think you are just trading a player to him for... fun?

Maybe he's not motivated enough. Have you talked to his competition so you can create a market?

Comment

I messaged the top 6 - all the $ spots - 2 weeks ago. They're all separated by 10 points, and keep changing the standings every couple of days. He's the only one who has responded. There is no market because either they think Harper is no longer a top 50 player or that he is a rental.

Comment

I messaged the top 6 - all the $ spots - 2 weeks ago. They're all separated by 10 points, and keep changing the standings every couple of days. He's the only one who has responded. There is no market because either they think Harper is no longer a top 50 player or that he is a rental.
                That's very odd. Why does it matter if he's specifically a top 50 player? I'm in several tight races and adding the 51st best player in each would be huge.

And why does it matter that he's a rental? While you may get less than if he were a keeper, for a competing team the fact that he's a rental doesn't matter for 2019.

Here's what I'd do in your shoes. I'd go to three of the other top teams and say - "I'm looking to shed Harper. I know he's not what he used to be but he can still help you win this thing, he's starting to heat up and when he does there's very few players that have his upside. Before I sell him to your competition, you want a shot? All I want back is something interesting, a *potential* piece for 2020. I don't need your best keeper just something I can get interested in."

Then, once anyone replies and confirms they will give you *something*, you go back to the Mondesi owner and reply to his offer saying "Listen, I know you see Mondesi as a keeper, but that's really the point. I can't use assets for this year, I need 2020 players. And I'm getting some interesting offers from another team for Harper - if I don't give him to you he's going to your competition. Mondesi isn't going to help you win this year, even if he gets back early September he's not going to be providing much value, the Royals are out of it and they aren't going to risk it, he'll be playing cautiously. Do you want to win this year??? Because if so having Harper on your team is a heck of a lot better than having him against you. He's hitting .333/.478/1.000 in the last week with 4 HR, and you can pick up 4 points in that category pretty quickly (not to mention RBI at the same time). Lets do this, it helps us both, I'd rather trade with you than against you (by giving him to your competition)."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  That's very odd. Why does it matter if he's specifically a top 50 player? I'm in several tight races and adding the 51st best player in each would be huge.

And why does it matter that he's a rental? While you may get less than if he were a keeper, for a competing team the fact that he's a rental doesn't matter for 2019.

Here's what I'd do in your shoes. I'd go to three of the other top teams and say - "I'm looking to shed Harper. I know he's not what he used to be but he can still help you win this thing, he's starting to heat up and when he does there's very few players that have his upside. Before I sell him to your competition, you want a shot? All I want back is something interesting, a *potential* piece for 2020. I don't need your best keeper just something I can get interested in."

Then, once anyone replies and confirms they will give you *something*, you go back to the Mondesi owner and reply to his offer saying "Listen, I know you see Mondesi as a keeper, but that's really the point. I can't use assets for this year, I need 2020 players. And I'm getting some interesting offers from another team for Harper - if I don't give him to you he's going to your competition. Mondesi isn't going to help you win this year, even if he gets back early September he's not going to be providing much value, the Royals are out of it and they aren't going to risk it, he'll be playing cautiously. Do you want to win this year??? Because if so having Harper on your team is a heck of a lot better than having him against you. He's hitting .333/.478/1.000 in the last week with 4 HR, and you can pick up 4 points in that category pretty quickly (not to mention RBI at the same time). Lets do this, it helps us both, I'd rather trade with you than against you (by giving him to your competition)."
                  Yep. Do this.

Comment

Only going up in value
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

5 hrs, 13 rbi and a .318 ave in the last 7 days. He is a heck of a rental.

I traded my $46b Harper for Lux in my NL only 12 teamer a couple of days ago to the current first place team.

Comment

I got 2 replies. One owner might offer Witt or Abrams while the other might offer Hays. Thoughts?

Comment

Harper 2 for 4, 1-3-2-0 tonight so far in 6 IP

#enfuego
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I've gotten an offer. His weaknesses - 12th BB-K, 8th WHIP, 14th SV.

SS Witt $10 and 1B Carpenter $31 for Harper

He has to include Carpenter to stay below our $400 cap. His biggest salaries are DeGrom $44 (who he just acquired), Machado $41, Pham $16, and Castillo $15. Everyone else on his roster is $10 or less. His minor leaguers are Bart $2, Abrams $10, and Robinson $10 along with Witt.

Is Witt enough to move Harper? I don't plan on keeping Carpenter at $34 next year.

Comment

I've gotten an offer. His weaknesses - 12th BB-K, 8th WHIP, 14th SV.

SS Witt $10 and 1B Carpenter $31 for Harper

He has to include Carpenter to stay below our $400 cap. His biggest salaries are DeGrom $44 (who he just acquired), Machado $41, Pham $16, and Castillo $15. Everyone else on his roster is $10 or less. His minor leaguers are Bart $2, Abrams $10, and Robinson $10 along with Witt.

Is Witt enough to move Harper? I don't plan on keeping Carpenter at $34 next year.
                              So now you can go the Mondesi owner and tell him I have an interesting offer (DO NOT tell him the offer) but I would rather trade with you. Enguego Harper for Mondesi. Mondesi is the target how do we make that happen...I might add a little sweetener, but not one of my keepers. Want to work with me or should I move on?

Comment

Working...
                              X