Astros shhhhh.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astros shhhhh.....

Aaron Sanchez in his 1st start as an Stro, cedes to the pen, going into the 9th with a no-no

And they got it! Another combined no-no!

Comment

1962 expansion teams, total no-hitters

Astros 12
      Mets 0*

* - they list the one by Johan Santana where he allowed a double to Carlos Beltran, but - three-blind-mice umpire aside - I'm pretty sure you can't allow a double and really pitch a no-hitter.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Last I checked — and I say this as a Mets fan — the Astros were a well-run team and the Mets were not.

Comment

Both teams made the WS in the last five years.

The real point is that the Mets allowed Nolan Ryan to leave. Though he only pitched one for Houston, the first four could have been in New York.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Oh the irony - this was the same day that Derek Fisher - the guy traded for Sanchez et al - had to go to the hospital as he was hit in face by a routine fly ball.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Verlander whiffs the Toronto side in the 8th -13 K and a no-no with 3 outs to go

guy named Toro hits a 2-run HR with 2 outs in the top of the 9th to break a scoreless tie - then cleanly fields the last-out grounder.

Verlander the 6th pitcher with at least 3 no-hitters - his second one in Toronto. no one else has more than one no-no in the same visiting park
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 09-01-2019, 02:39 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Most No-Hitters in MLB History

Nolan Ryan - 7
                Sandy Koufax - 4
                Justin Verlander - 3
                Cy Young - 3
                Bob Feller - 3
                Larry Corcoran - 3
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I got Corcoran - 5-foot-3, 127 pounds - in the end-game of my 1880 draft, and he carried me to the pennant: 43-14, 1.95 ERA, 268 K in 536 IP at age 20.

he went 170-83 in his first five years, pitching 2279 innings. then he got a sore arm, for some reason

then he drank himself to death and died at age 32
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 09-01-2019, 03:13 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Does what he has done this year make Verlander a lock for the Hall of Fame?
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      I think he's a lock. 3 frreaking no hitters to go along with what else he has accomplished? He's a slam dunk IMO.

Comment

he's a lock

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          I think the 36 year old Verlander was already a lock for the HOF. He now needs 37 K's for 3,000 in his career and has a good shot at 3,500 and an outside shot at 4,000. With 221 career wins now, he will probably get 250 easily. If he pitches beyond age 40 he could have a chance at 300 career wins.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

That boat has sailed. The question of first round is rapidly fading.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              I got Corcoran - 5-foot-3, 127 pounds - in the end-game of my 1880 draft, and he carried me to the pennant: 43-14, 1.95 ERA, 268 K in 536 IP at age 20.

he went 170-83 in his first five years, pitching 2279 innings. then he got a sore arm, for some reason

then he drank himself to death and died at age 32
                              He'll always have those no-nos!

First ballot HOFer.

Comment

Working...
                              X