Fed Reinstates Death Penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Reinstates Death Penalty

Barr reinstates the death penalty with five executions slated for December and January.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nalty-n1034451

Just another nail in coffin...

Truly a sad day.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Fuck'em..Kill them soon. I am so fucking tired of people destroying the lives of others. You mess other peoples lives up, you fucking die.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The Death Penalty Information Center is a non-profit organization serving the media and the public with analysis and information about capital punishment.…

"156 individuals have been exonerated from death row--that is, found to be innocent and released - since 1973. "

"Authors of the study say that their “conservative estimate of the proportion of erroneous convictions” is 4.1 percent, or approximately twice the number actually exonerated and set free from death row. This could mean that approximately 120 of the roughly 3,000 inmates on death row in America might not be guilty, while additional scores of wrongfully convicted inmates are serving life in prison after their death sentences were reduced over technical legal errors."

Slight problem with the kill them soon method is we do get it wrong sometimes and other times we may have got it wrong and actually killed people.

Comment

I still hope the arc of history will bend toward compassion and justice, and that we're just in a brief loop-de-loop.

Comment

I'm conflicted on the issue. On the one hand, I don't have the moral issues with the death penalty in theory that some do. Some of the people on the federal wait list, for instance, caused so much needless death, pain, and harm, I think it is okay that they be put down, and I understand those that feel that way.

On the other hand, in practice, there are the realities frae pointed out about the imperfections of our system. We have put innocent people to death. And the whole system is skewed to have a racial bias as well. So, when you weigh the desire for vengeance and old testament justice against those who have committed horrific crimes against the realities that some innocent people get caught up in that, to me, it is no contest--we should not have the death penalty. There is nothing more appalling to me than the state killing innocent people.

If we could develop a system that does not have biases against the poor and over-policed, and can ensure no innocent people are wrongly put to death, I would be for it. And I understand where people are coming from when they want to see truly horrific murders put down. But we don't have that perfect system, and likely never will.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I still hope the arc of history will bend toward compassion and justice, and that we're just in a brief loop-de-loop.
            eventually ... tho I think that this loop will last longer than we might think/want
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Fuck'em..Kill them soon. I am so fucking tired of people destroying the lives of others. You mess other peoples lives up and if you are poor or a minority, you fucking die.
              fixed
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I've come around to the "put 99 murderers in prison for life is better than killing 1 innocent person" math, and I fucking love the death penalty. I believe that there are crimes and criminals that deserve the death penalty but the risk outways my personal desire for vengence.
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  I've come around to the "put 99 murderers in prison for life is better than killing 1 innocent person" math, and I fucking love the death penalty. I believe that there are crimes and criminals that deserve the death penalty but the risk outways my personal desire for vengence.
                  Yeah, that is where I am at. I totally get why polling suggests most people are for the death penalty, because I am too, when I think of the most horrific, child raping/murdering, terrorist church shooting scumbags. But I also think most folks haven't looked at how many people are wrongly convicted and how much racial bias there is. But even then, there are cases where basically there are 100 witnesses, video evidence, and a confession--everyone knows the person is guilty and a waste of air and space. In those cases, I'd be cool with making an exception. But I know it doesn't work that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X