Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best presidents since WW II

Pick your top three.

(The poll will allow you to pick as many as you like, but I would encourage you to choose three.)
    Harry Truman
    0%
    Dwight Eisenhower
    0%
    John F Kennedy
    0%
    Lyndon Johnson
    0%
    Richard Nixon
    0%
    Gerald Ford
    0%
    Jimmy Carter
    0%
    Ronald Reagan
    0%
    George HW Bush
    0%
    Bill Clinton
    0%
    George W Bush
    0%
    Barack Obama
    0%
    Donald Trump
    0%
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

By the way, I learned something today that I feel like I should have known for a long time. If the Vice President died or ascended to the Presidency, the office of Vice President remained vacant, until that process was changed by the 25th Amendment in 1967. I was aware of the 25th Amendment, but I guess that part of it had escaped my notice until now.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I voted for four--Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Obama. If I would have followed your rules and just voted for 3, I'd have cut out Obama.

Comment

I only voted for Obama. For each of the others, I have too many reservations.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          I only voted for Obama. For each of the others, I have too many reservations.
          yeah, it's a bit like dollar days in a roto auction ... eventually you gotta take Adam Frazier or Hernan Perez ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            yeah, it's a bit like dollar days in a roto auction ... eventually you gotta take Adam Frazier or Hernan Perez ...
            I wanted to vote for LBJ for the Great Society and his contribution to civil rights legislation, but man, that Vietnam War thing kind of makes him Juan Pierre in the power department.

Comment

I'd vote for Carter, as he has been great since getting out of office.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                I wanted to vote for LBJ for the Great Society and his contribution to civil rights legislation, but man, that Vietnam War thing kind of makes him Juan Pierre in the power department.
                Yep. And Eisenhower gets nicked for utter inaction/indifference in enforcing Brown v. Board of Education or otherwise confronting segregation and Jim Crow. Truman also said some excruciatingly racist things that are inexcusable even after accounting for his era. Kennedy's light shines brighter because of his assassination, but he was otherwise incredibly misguided and largely incompetent in foreign policy. Bay of Pigs was maybe our worst foreign engagement ever, and though he ultimately was able to avoid nuclear Armageddon during the Cuban Missile Crisis, his foreign policies and actions sparked the crisis in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                  I'd vote for Carter, as he has been great since getting out of office.
                  I actually think Carter is in the top half. His biggest fault is that he was an extreme micro-manager. In retrospect, I'm not sure he had much to do with the stagflation or the energy crisis that afflicted the economy. The peace accords between Egypt and Israel probably contributed to there not being another all-out war between the Arabs and the Israelis after that (excepting whatever you would call the various Israeli incursions into Lebanon).

He made progress on a lot of smaller things like environmental protection and diversifying the federal bench.

I wouldn't consider him one of the top presidents, but his record is a lot stronger in retrospect than it was viewed at the time he left office.

He seems similar to George HW Bush to me--competent but uninspiring. But in terms of his lasting impact to the world and federal government, I think he did more good than Bush Sr.

Comment

Anyone hear the tape of reagan and nixon being racist? I am shocked, shocked I say!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...UX0?li=BBnb7Kz
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-31-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Eisenhower loses points for the 1953 coup in Iran and which might be blamed as a result of it becoming a theocracy today. but he gets points for the handling of the Suez Canal crises. on the other hand he was president during operation 'wetback' heh

Comment

actually i am not sure how adding 9 trillion to the national debt is all that good for Obama. i might change my vote to Reagan although percentage-wise i think he added 2 trillion. but it did seem to help. i just didn't agree sort of with some of the other things.

Comment

My vote of "every president not named Trump" is looking better every... single... day.

Comment

Obama took office right at the breaking point of the financial markets, and of uber financial institutions so large that their collapse was going to like dominoes falling, sending the world financial systems into freefall. We had the two biggest bank failures in U.S. history with Wachovia and Washington Mutual and that was just the tip of the spear, from unraveling leveraged financial instruments like credit default swaps blowing up with the housing market collapse. Buffet literally said that we were mere hours from a chain reaction that would take out the major banks.

The 700 bn bailout, TARP, + the 80 bn auto bailout saved the banks, the auto industry, the housing market from full collapse, and btw auto bailout was paid back. check Vice Special Report’s “Panic: The Untold Story of the 2008 Financial Crisis,” a documentary that details the financial armageddon that was inevitable, and imminent, as in hours away. Obama wont receive the credit he is due unless you go deep in the weeds, as it was a complicated issue. But to flippantly say he added debt, recall it was not for giving billionaires a tax break or fluffing military, it was for saving world economy.

Comment

I'm almost sad that 1J has abstained from voting. I'd love to hear him make his case for Trump. He's gone MIA on the political threads, perhaps he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized that Trump is a complete POS?
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X