No announcement yet.

is reality carrying over into fantasy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is reality carrying over into fantasy?

...Strange. Of all the years I've been visiting this board I never noticed this much hate. One of the things I liked about this place was how well everyone was treated. Perhaps the Vitriol was there and I just missed it...

- roy hobbs

And interestingly enough, I was coming here today to ask why is there so much anger on rotojunkie lately?

Clearly, I am not the only one noticing.

I don't venture into the trump thread anymore because if it wasn't so sad, it would be great entertainment. trump is awful. omar is awful. blah blah blah. I am Canadian (not liberal or PC, not dem or repub) but very much believe both countries are facing the same exact issues. as is europe, who is much further along in this story.

there are lots of voices here, some much louder than others, who do not see it the way I do, and I don't bother debating or discussing but I can sum it up like this: Canada is changing and I don't particularly enjoy or embrace the direction it is being forced to go by the current government. I understand many may disagree and they are allowed, it is what my grandfather and his siblings fought and died for, the right to disagree.

as I fear we are losing 'peace' on this continent, I hope safety finds you well.

People in general seem to be angry. The constant bombardment of "news" stirs people up. I pop in once in a while but I dont post or comment on Sports Bar threads (but this one caught my attention) and have little desire to post on social media as well.

Live and be happy. Passion is great but not when it hurts others. Dont be afraid to have conversations with someone opposed to your point of views. Listen and try to understand their point of view. We dont need to agree. Seems easy but these days it isnt.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Between the uncovering of the widespread Catholic sex abuse, the MeToo movement, and Trump's election and elevation of white supremacy and racism that came along with it, a lot of ugly things that may have been around and powerful for a long time but had stayed at least mostly hidden have now come full force into the public consciousness and public discussion. It is not a surprise that it brings a lot of anger with it. I don't think the right answer is to try to stuff all that ugliness back under the rug where we pretend it isn't there if it doesn't personally affect us. It is destroying a lot of what we held dear. But I think it's better to talk honestly about it, even if that conversation is sometimes raw and angry, than to put civility as a higher value than justice. And to hope for and work for something better coming out of it in the end.

I do think that healing and reconciliation is important. I hope and pray for people who can lead us to that. But to jump to that prematurely without addressing the wrongs that have been done and are being done just stokes the pressure cooker of our society more for the future. I think it's better to be ugly and honest and try to work through that. I don't know whether online message boards are a place where that can happen effectively.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Trump's election and elevation of white supremacy and racism that came along with it
        and there in lays a lot of the division. I simple do not see the "white supremacy" you write of. in fact, I see more division and racism in those four women than anything trump has said.

trump is rough, no argument from me on that. but I have seen many video's of obama, hilliary, bill and government prior to Trump saying and doing exactly what Trump is doing and saying today and there wasn't a peep out of the left msm.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          and there in lays a lot of the division. I simple do not see the "white supremacy" you write of. in fact, I see more division and racism in those four women than anything trump has said.

trump is rough, no argument from me on that. but I have seen many video's of obama, hilliary, bill and government prior to Trump saying and doing exactly what Trump is doing and saying today and there wasn't a peep out of the left msm.
          This may come as a surprise to everyone, ha ha, but could you point me in the direction of the division and racism they are promoting. I'm aware of Ilhan's comments and we had like 12 pages of good discussion about that. Perhaps we could have a similarly productive discussion about some other examples/concerns
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'll take the blame on the baseball forum side. I get fed up with trolls, but I should not handle it that way. That's on me. Time for a break. See you guys in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              This may come as a surprise to everyone, ha ha, but could you point me in the direction of the division and racism they are promoting. I'm aware of Ilhan's comments and we had like 12 pages of good discussion about that. Perhaps we could have a similarly productive discussion about some other examples/concerns

I watch press conferences and hearings rather than read their words and their words cause me to feel offended and sad.

I write that as a white man who lived with an egyptian muzzlam immigrant for 5 years. who's best friend is a pakistan muzzlam immigrant, knowing him for 40 years. my current wife is a korean immigrant. my friends are a mix of every culture and religion and virtually all of them say the same thing as I, and that is "today's "immigrant" is nothing like yesterday's".

Comment

I watch press conferences and hearings rather than read their words and their words cause me to feel offended and sad.

I write that as a white man who lived with an egyptian muzzlam immigrant for 5 years. who's best friend is a pakistan muzzlam immigrant, knowing him for 40 years. my current wife is a korean immigrant. my friends are a mix of every culture and religion and virtually all of them say the same thing as I, and that is "today's "immigrant" is nothing like yesterday's".
                I don't follow them as much as everyone else apparently does. It's kind of surprising to me that there are now two people who indicate their press conferences are either offensive, racist, etc. Maybe someone will be able to point me to something more specific or I'll do some research. Thanks.
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah, could you please post or link articles or videos of Obama or either Clinton advocating violence towards or belittling critics?

Please take your time.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Yeah, could you please post or link articles or videos of Obama or either Clinton advocating violence towards or belittling critics?

Please take your time.
                    Doesn't the list of dead Clinton associates count? I thought that was well known. :ikeed:
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Please take your time.

I won't get into that game because for each video you want to show me, I can provide you a video of something which is most likely just as disgusting but perpetrated by the left.

what does it solve? Nothing.

what does it achieve? more division.

My loyalty lays with my country. We, the U.S. and Canada, are moving into a seriously dangerous time.

Comment

and there in lays a lot of the division. I simple do not see the "white supremacy" you write of. in fact, I see more division and racism in those four women than anything trump has said. ...
                        seriously Art? you don't see how making claims like the above and then refusing to stand behind them with any evidence is a huge contributor to the division you're complaining about?

If you don't want to engage in the discussion don't throw the divisive claims out there.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

and this thread has jumped the shark already.

Back to baseball once in awhile. Have fun men.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            seriously Art? you don't see how making claims like the above and then refusing to stand behind them with any evidence is a huge contributor to the division you're complaining about?

If you don't want to engage in the discussion don't throw the divisive claims out there.
                            I am curious, why can't I write a post which says I find more division with the four women than I do with Trump's words?

and it isn't like I wrote Trump hasn't said anything inappropriate.

sorry if my thoughts bother you but there they are.
                            Last edited by Art Vandelay; 07-22-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I am curious, why can't I write a post which says I find more division with the four women than I do with Trump's words?

and it isn't like I wrote Trump hasn't said anything inappropriate.

sorry if my thoughts bother you but there they are.
                              your thoughts don't bother me in the slightest and you can post whatever you like - what bothers me is your complaining about divisiveness and not realizing how your post contributes to it.

personally I don't have a problem with the divisiveness. let's have the difficult conversations.

edit: I'll say it before someone else does ... you know the world is coming to an end when two Canadians are going at it in the Sports Bar ... and teenwolf isn't even one of them!!!
                              Last edited by TranaGreg; 07-22-2019, 03:40 PM.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X