Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this trade

Hey all,

This trade was just accepted in my 12 NL only league. It's 6x6 categories: AVG, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB and QS+1/2W, ERA, WHIP, K, SV, HD. How bad is this deal on a scale of bad to the worst deal you've ever seen

Gavin Lux LAD $10M
    Dustin May LAD $5M
    Albert Almora ChC $7A
    Jeurys Familia NYM $6A
    Shaun Anderson SF $10F
    Greg Garcia SD $10F
    Jung-ho Kang Pit $10F

for

Yadier Molina StL $13B
    Tucker Barnhart Cin $4C19
    Anthony Rizzo ChC $37A
    Dansby Swanson Atl $10C19
    Bryce Harper Phi $45B
    Max Scherzer Was $44B
    Sergio Romo Mia $6A
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

that is a lot of wood for two MLers. Worst ever? Prolly not, but its bad.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Looks like a dump trade but getting only Lux and May is a pretty light return.

Comment

Not enough in return but early bird catches the worm early

Comment

It is really bad. Not the worst I have ever seen, because the dumper got Lux, and I love Lux. Still, it is highly inept or lazy to do what this person seems to have done--trade damn near every tradable asset he had to another owner in a one-stop shop type of deal. If the Lux owner didn't have more he could give, the other side could have just insisted on holding a couple of pieces back and flipping them for more elsewhere. I highly doubt if that owner had insisted on holding, say Harper and Swanson from this deal, or just one of the bigger names like Rizzo or Scherzer, the other owner would have balked. Then, said owner could have traded those couple of players elsewhere for more. You take out Rizzo or Max or a couple of the lesser guys, and this is still a good/fair deal for the team chasing the money.

Comment

does your league have an in season salary cap? We go from $260 (end of our auction) to $310 cap from start of the season to the ASB. Then from ASB to end of the year we raise the cap to $340. This has really helped with these type of lopsided dump trades. Teams dumping will need to spread their high priced players around to the teams going for it.

Comment

Lux and May are sweet prospects, but the odds that the dumper could have gotten them for far less than this entire package exceeds 100 percent. they are worth multiple stars - but not this many.

not the worst I have ever seen, given the studliness of the prospects. but this owner could have gotten an extra bounty from pieces saved, as noted. is he new to this game?

also, Lux is 10. there is a chance he works his way into being a superstar, which lessens his value on a relatively short Rotisserie contract.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I'll be the contrarian and say do it...Lux is a top tem player and he's absolutely destroying AAA ball. And some have May projected to be the Dodgers #2 starter at some point next year. So while you're giving a ton, what you're getting back may well be worth it before too long.

Depending on your league's spending habits, Swanson may be the only viable keeper of that group anyway.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  It is really bad. Not the worst I have ever seen, because the dumper got Lux, and I love Lux. Still, it is highly inept or lazy to do what this person seems to have done--trade damn near every tradable asset he had to another owner in a one-stop shop type of deal. If the Lux owner didn't have more he could give, the other side could have just insisted on holding a couple of pieces back and flipping them for more elsewhere. I highly doubt if that owner had insisted on holding, say Harper and Swanson from this deal, or just one of the bigger names like Rizzo or Scherzer, the other owner would have balked. Then, said owner could have traded those couple of players elsewhere for more. You take out Rizzo or Max or a couple of the lesser guys, and this is still a good/fair deal for the team chasing the money.
                  The Lux owner has more, he had Luis Urias, Grant Lavigne and Luis Garcia. He's someone I pretty much refuse to trade with because he only makes deals like this where he overwhelmingly wins the trade. I'm really not sure why owners keep going back to him.

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                  does your league have an in season salary cap? We go from $260 (end of our auction) to $310 cap from start of the season to the ASB. Then from ASB to end of the year we raise the cap to $340. This has really helped with these type of lopsided dump trades. Teams dumping will need to spread their high priced players around to the teams going for it.
                  We don't have a salary cap, we tried it a while back but we didn't like it.

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I'll be the contrarian and say do it...Lux is a top tem player and he's absolutely destroying AAA ball. And some have May projected to be the Dodgers #2 starter at some point next year. So while you're giving a ton, what you're getting back may well be worth it before too long.

Depending on your league's spending habits, Swanson may be the only viable keeper of that group anyway.
                  The trade is done, I was not involved in the trade. Swanson is unkeepable; his contract is done after this year.

I was told by another owner that he offered a better package (in his opinion of course) for Scherzer alone. This owner has been in a league a while and won a few years ago but he now has a kid and I guess isn't as involved as he once was and probably just wanted to trade all at once. It makes my decision to dump easier as I was on the fence but now this seals it for me.

Thanks for your opinions.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

FWIW the trade I did a week ago in my 10-team NL was Blackmon 42A, Freeman 38/2020, Merrill Kelly 12A (who's been good recently) for Lux 10/rookie, Anthony Kay 8/rookie, Hiura 5A.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X