RIP Jim Bouton...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Jim Bouton...

Can't believe that this hasn't been posted yet...

Jim Bouton, a once-promising pitcher with the New York Yankees who found greater fame as the author of “Ball Four,” an irreverent, best-selling book that angered baseball’s hierarchy and changed the way journalists and fans viewed the sports world, died July 10 at his home in Great Barrington, Mass. He was 80.

He had a stroke in 2012 and five years later disclosed he had been diagnosed with cerebral amyloid angiopathy, a condition that causes vessels in the brain to burst under pressure. The death was confirmed by his wife, Paula Kurman.
    This book forever changed the way that fans looked at baseball, and how the press covered it...I think that I read it 4-5 times, and laughed out loud each time.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Sorry to hear this. That was a very funny book.

Comment

Great book.

RIP

Comment

Four Balls and you're out.

Landmark book. When it came out I wasn't old enough to understand a lot of it. Ten years later beaver had a different meaning. Still, my favorite part involved hot peppers.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

"Ball Four" may have been the only book other than comic books or the occasional MAD Magazine that my late father ever bought for me. RIP Jim Bouton.

Strictly by coincidence, and because I have the eponymous Shin-Soo on my team, one of my teams this year is called Big League Choo.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Working...
          X