Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tyler Skaggs Died?

from espn.com today

A public relations employee for the Los Angeles Angels told federal investigators that he provided oxycodone to Tyler Skaggs and abused it with him for years, and that two team officials were told about Skaggs' drug use long before his death, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

Eric Kay, the Angels' director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the sources said.
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10, Eflin 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 1O Belt 10, 1O Beaty 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, Dyson 8

Double-A
    Maybe this is the start of MLB players being tested for drugs of abuse? I think players in the minors are tested, so why not MLB?

Very sad that two team officials also knew about this, but end result is Skaggs was terribly reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by cleo View Post
    Maybe this is the start of MLB players being tested for drugs of abuse? I think players in the minors are tested, so why not MLB?

Very sad that two team officials also knew about this, but end result is Skaggs was terribly reckless.
    How many other professions are tested for drugs? I agree it was reckless of Skaggs and a tragic loss of one so young, but IDK, universal testing of drugs, unless they are PEDs, seems more invasive than most other professions. If this is a good thing for pro athletes, why not for every job, and if folks things that is too invasive, costly, time-consuming, etc for you are me, why is it okay for adult baseball players?

ETA: I guess one could make the case that painkillers are PEDs, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    How many other professions are tested for drugs? I agree it was reckless of Skaggs and a tragic loss of one so young, but IDK, universal testing of drugs, unless they are PEDs, seems more invasive than most other professions. If this is a good thing for pro athletes, why not for every job, and if folks things that is too invasive, costly, time-consuming, etc for you are me, why is it okay for adult baseball players?

ETA: I guess one could make the case that painkillers are PEDs, though.
    They already test for drugs of abuse, but only on the basis of "reasonable cause."