Tyler Skaggs Died?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cleo View Post
    The report I read said he was found at a Southlake Hilton hotel around 2pm in a room. Google maps shows that hotel is about 20 miles from the Rangers ballpark. I am not familiar with the Dallas ares, but why would the team be staying at a hotel so far from the ballpark? I assume that Skaggs was not at the team hotel.

I hope I am not right, but this does not look good and I am thinking it could be drug related. Sad, sad day.
    Autopsy released today showed Skaggs had a “significant amount” of Fentanyl, ovycodone and alcohol in his system and died by choking on his own vomit. The level of Fentanyl in his system, according to the toxicologist, could alone cause death.

Terrible.

Comment

Some people know nothing.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

statement from Skaggs family includes: "We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels."

whoa
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Autopsy released today showed Skaggs had a “significant amount” of Fentanyl, ovycodone and alcohol in his system and died by choking on his own vomit. The level of Fentanyl in his system, according to the toxicologist, could alone cause death.

Terrible.
          Fentanyl was what did Prince in as well...terrible stuff when not used properly.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Fentanyl was what did Prince in as well...terrible stuff when not used properly.
            And Tom Petty.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

from espn.com today

A public relations employee for the Los Angeles Angels told federal investigators that he provided oxycodone to Tyler Skaggs and abused it with him for years, and that two team officials were told about Skaggs' drug use long before his death, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

Eric Kay, the Angels' director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the sources said.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Maybe this is the start of MLB players being tested for drugs of abuse? I think players in the minors are tested, so why not MLB?

Very sad that two team officials also knew about this, but end result is Skaggs was terribly reckless.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                  Maybe this is the start of MLB players being tested for drugs of abuse? I think players in the minors are tested, so why not MLB?

Very sad that two team officials also knew about this, but end result is Skaggs was terribly reckless.
                  How many other professions are tested for drugs? I agree it was reckless of Skaggs and a tragic loss of one so young, but IDK, universal testing of drugs, unless they are PEDs, seems more invasive than most other professions. If this is a good thing for pro athletes, why not for every job, and if folks things that is too invasive, costly, time-consuming, etc for you are me, why is it okay for adult baseball players?

ETA: I guess one could make the case that painkillers are PEDs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    How many other professions are tested for drugs? I agree it was reckless of Skaggs and a tragic loss of one so young, but IDK, universal testing of drugs, unless they are PEDs, seems more invasive than most other professions. If this is a good thing for pro athletes, why not for every job, and if folks things that is too invasive, costly, time-consuming, etc for you are me, why is it okay for adult baseball players?

ETA: I guess one could make the case that painkillers are PEDs, though.
                    They already test for drugs of abuse, but only on the basis of "reasonable cause."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      from espn.com today

A public relations employee for the Los Angeles Angels told federal investigators that he provided oxycodone to Tyler Skaggs and abused it with him for years, and that two team officials were told about Skaggs' drug use long before his death, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

Eric Kay, the Angels' director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the sources said.
                      Ex-L.A. Angels employee Eric Kay has been charged with distributing fentanyl in connection with pitcher Tyler Skaggs' death ... and prosecutors say they have text messages to prove it.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/07/los-a...-tyler-skaggs/

Investigators say they learned during the course of the investigation that "several individuals" who were associated with Kay and Skaggs "knew" that Kay was providing pills to the pitcher.

Investigators also say Kay would distribute pills to others "in their place of employment and while they were working."

Investigators do not say if these "others" worked for the Angels organization ... but it seems to be what they're pointing to.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted former Angels communications director Eric Kay on drug distribution charges in the 2019 fentanyl overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs. Kay was indicted on one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one count of distribution of a controlled substance resulting in death and serious bodily injury.

The first charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, and the second count 20 years to life, according to the US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Texas.

Skaggs, 27, died on July 1, 2019, in a hotel in Southlake, Texas, before the team was set to play the Texas Rangers.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/us/ty...ted/index.html
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted former Angels communications director Eric Kay on drug distribution charges in the 2019 fentanyl overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs. Kay was indicted on one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one count of distribution of a controlled substance resulting in death and serious bodily injury.

The first charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, and the second count 20 years to life, according to the US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Texas.

Skaggs, 27, died on July 1, 2019, in a hotel in Southlake, Texas, before the team was set to play the Texas Rangers.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/us/ty...ted/index.html
                          So, will the active ML players testify in this case about their drug use face MLB disciplinary action?
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            So, will the active ML players testify in this case about their drug use face MLB disciplinary action?
                            apparently only if they were involved in distribution like Harvey was.

Comment

The Dark Knight was more Joker than Batman, it appears…
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Eric Kay found guilty of supplying the Fentanyl that Skaggs overdosed on. Sentencing is set for June 28 (why so long?). Kay faces a minimum 20-year sentence and a $1 million fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X