Tyler Skaggs Died?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Eric Kay found guilty of supplying the Fentanyl that Skaggs overdosed on. Sentencing is set for June 28 (why so long?). Kay faces a minimum 20-year sentence and a $1 million fine.
    That sounds extreme. Is it because the state (I assume CAL) or what?

Comment

Eric Kay found guilty of supplying the Fentanyl that Skaggs overdosed on. Sentencing is set for June 28 (why so long?). Kay faces a minimum 20-year sentence and a $1 million fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Eric Kay, the Angels' director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the sources said.
        Three of the five other players that Kay supplied opioids to are Matt Harvey, Cam Bedrosian, and C.J. Cron.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
          You can say that again

Comment

as Craig Calcaterra said in his newsletter this morning:

Our drug laws, especially our federal ones, are not even remotely calculated to reasonably or thoughtfully combat drug use, let alone address the suffering of those who have fallen victim to addiction. They are the product of politics. Our society is not set up to deal with addiction and everything that spins out of it, be it personally, socially, legally, and everything else you can name.

Comment

No. With the DEA and the US Attorney’s Office involved, those charges are federal. Federal charges often carry longer sentences in accordance with sentencing guidelines.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                No. With the DEA and the US Attorney’s Office involved, those charges are federal. Federal charges often carry longer sentences in accordance with sentencing guidelines.
                All of the DA's in California are so liberal and are focused on the rights of the criminals, they would have probably would have requested a max 6 month sentence followed with 2 year probation. But I do feel that a min 20 year sentence is way too much. Maybe 3-5 years?

Skaggs has paid the highest price in this, but he was also the one who made numerous reckless and bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                  All of the DA's in California are so liberal and are focused on the rights of the criminals, they would have probably would have requested a max 6 month sentence followed with 2 year probation. But I do feel that a min 20 year sentence is way too much. Maybe 3-5 years?

Skaggs has paid the highest price in this, but he was also the one who made numerous reckless and bad decisions.
                  lol, it's a federal case, but by all means go ahead and use this as an opportunity to bash liberals.
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

All of the DA's in California are so liberal and are focused on the rights of the criminals, they would have probably would have requested a max 6 month sentence followed with 2 year probation.
                    Very intelligent theory! Here's another:

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                      I assume that since there were elements of the crimes alleged that took place across state lines it became a federal case. There are a whole variety of ways that drug crimes can get charged federally --- distributing on government property, sending drugs by US mail, transporting across state lines, etc. And yes, federal sentencing guidelines are ridiculously punitive.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        lol, it's a federal case, but by all means go ahead and use this as an opportunity to bash liberals.
                        I take it that neither you or Bene F live in CA?

Even with this state having a high % of Dems, we are fed up with the DA's in LA and SF and they will be recalled. I could post a number of links to recent cases where convicted murders and child molesters were let off with very light sentence's. The LA County prosecutors have even filed a lawsuit against LA DA Gascon to put an end to his soft on crime policies saying it has lead to a large increase in crime.

Comment

I take it that neither you or Bene F live in CA?

Even with this state having a high % of Dems, we are fed up with the DA's in LA and SF and they will be recalled. I could post a number of links to recent cases where convicted murders and child molesters were let off with very light sentence's. The LA County prosecutors have even filed a lawsuit against LA DA Gascon to put an end to his soft on crime policies saying it has lead to a large increase in crime.
                          You are correct, I don't live in California. Whatever frustration you have with the DA's, Murderers, child molesters, etc doesn't really have anything to do with this case as far as I can tell. So it might be appropriate for you to start a thread in the hot topics forum to discuss.

EDIT: I think the idea is that we don't bring politics into the baseball forums...I've been guilty of doing that myself, but something we should all try to avoid.
                          Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-18-2022, 05:51 PM.
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            I think the idea is that we don't bring politics into the baseball forums...I've been guilty of doing that myself, but something we should all try to avoid.
                            Agree with you on this. I was just trying to point the difference's in how cases are prosecuted and light sentence's are here in CA compared to Fed and possibly Texas. Sorry if I turned it political.

Comment

Appreciate how you guys handled this. Want the board to stay vibrant and healthy. This sort of exchange helps.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted former Angels communications director Eric Kay on drug distribution charges in the 2019 fentanyl overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs. Kay was indicted on one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one count of distribution of a controlled substance resulting in death and serious bodily injury.

The first charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, and the second count 20 years to life, according to the US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Texas.

Skaggs, 27, died on July 1, 2019, in a hotel in Southlake, Texas, before the team was set to play the Texas Rangers.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/us/ty...ted/index.html
                                Sentenced to 22 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X