Newman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newman?

He has been terrific the last month and has seemingly grabbed the SS job for the foreseeable future. SSS or is there something here?

Yes he has. An owner in my league has him for $1. Don't know about his ability to continue to hit HR but the BA he might be able to continue to do well.

ROOKIE RECORD

Newman’s hitting streak ties him with Neil Walker (2010) and Rennie Stennett (1971) for the longest by a Pittsburgh rookie. Bryan Reynolds, another Pirates’ rookie, had a 17-game hitting streak earlier this season.

Comment

Sure but Reynolds is top 20 in hard hit balls. Doesn’t look like a fluke.

Comment

Newman is a former first round pick with average speed, a good hit tool, and average defense. He hasn't shown much power in the minors so he's probably just taking advantage of the limited scouting report on him up to this point. The Pirates still view Cole Tucker as their SS of the future but will welcome the chance to delay Tucker's arbitration another year or two. Newman's future is most likely at 2B with Adam Frazier & Kevin Kramer being his main competition there. I believe Jung Ho Kang will be with another team next season. Their opening day SS Erik Gonzalez, who is injured will eventually assume a backup role where he belongs if he isn't DFA'd.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello, Newman.

Comment

What, me worry?

How did this guy get so far under the radar? Here is Podhorzer's quick take:
            With above average speed, strong minor league strikeout rates, and a clear path to a starting job, Newman makes for a name to remember in deeper mixed and NL-Only leagues. Little fanfare means he should cost a minimal amount, offering some potential to earn a tidy little profit.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

.322 BA with .286 xBA - which is still really good.

87 pct contact rate, which feels like it's from another era - and it's 90 pct in the last month.

Gonzalez had another setback and now out for another month, not that it matters.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
              X