Trade Blockbuster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post

That doesn't feel like a blockbuster to me. A lot of names, but not much impact?
    I disagree.

oh wait, that was a different thread
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I don't think that there's any need to defend Nate, he's in 1st by 10 points last I looked. He made a deal that he obviously thinks can win him the league, and I applaud going all in for it. It's a tough league to win, you've done it, but it generally requires a team that's peaking all year long, and some really good luck health wise. Ken's synopsis is pretty well spot on IMO...there are consistently good teams, consistent re builders, and consistent 1st division teams. But to win for a year or two, I think that you need great luck, and great health, and that observation isn't breaking new ground.

You made a GREAT deal, no ifs, ands, or buts. You've got two core keepers for years to come, I dare say two top 15 players for years to come, and you didn't have to overpay to do it. I do believe that Nate overpaid to get Trout and Greinke, but I understand why he did so, and maybe if I was in his position, I'd do the same...but I don't think that I'd have the cojones to do both studs.

I still think that Rick and Andy are in it...Rick need to get healthy, and Andy just need some time. I think that it'll be a really good race until the end, mainly because all three teams are constantly grinding. No one ever gives up...

All in all, a fun deal for the league, and it sets you up for 2 seasons for now.

Also, NOW I might think about dealing Trea Turner for...say Vladdy and Robles? Could it be?
      That's more or less what I am thinking....bold move, I like it
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The clarification about the in season salary cap and the surprising cheap price on Trout is an important one. I can now understand why he didn't extract even more to ensure his title. It makes sense for both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          The clarification about the in season salary cap and the surprising cheap price on Trout is an important one. I can now understand why he didn't extract even more to ensure his title. It makes sense for both teams.
          Yeah, a thing that happens right around now is that the top teams have mostly made their first dump acquisitions and now they're all at cap or close to it; some of them are over but you can take a half-salary discount for guys on the IL. The first place team is at 360, second is at 353 with $20 in discounts, third is at 360, fourth is at 348 with $20 in discounts, fifth is at 320, and sixth (the last team over 100 points, at 117) is at 355 with $19 in discounts. So if you're one of the bottom teams and trying to sell a $46 Starling Marte or $30 Aroldis Chapman or $34 Jansen, you basically have one team you can deal with unless one of the others has a poor-performing expensive guy or wants to give up on an injured player and throws them into the deal.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            second is at 353 with $20 in discounts
            Curious, what is a discount and how does it apply?

Comment

... but you can take a half-salary discount for guys on the IL. ...
              so when they come off the IL your team salary increases by that amt ... we have to manage our rosters so that doesn't put us over the cap
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Curious, what is a discount and how does it apply?
                Salaries get cut in half when a player is placed on your DL.

Comment

man, maybe I shouldn't have put Bieber in the trade.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

man, maybe I shouldn't have put Bieber in the trade.
                    Womp womp womp.....seriously, I agree. He might be the best keeper in the deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X