Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic

Hope Big Papi is ok.

Enrique Rojas of ESPN reports that legendary Red Sox' slugger David Ortiz was shot in the leg during an attempted robbery attempt on Sunday in the Dominican Republic.

Ortiz is currently being transported to the hospital. His condition is unknown at the moment. The suspected shooter is in custody. We're hoping for the best for Big Papi and our thoughts and prayers go out to Ortiz and his family at this difficult time. We'll pass along any updates as more information becomes available.
    (Source: Enrique Rojas on Twitter)
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Crazy. There’s video on Twitter of his assaillant being kicked and assaulted in retaliation. He was shot in the leg, so hope all is well

Comment

crap

Marly Rivera
      ‏Verified account @MarlyRiveraESPN
      24m24 minutes ago

I just spoke to @dSoldevila who is at the clinic where David Ortiz is currently being treated. Dionisio said me that the attending doctor told him that David was shot in the lower back and the bullet went through and through; he’s currently in surgery.

Marly Rivera
      41s42 seconds ago

Marly Rivera Retweeted CDN 37

.@CDN37 - A local network in the DR - Tweeted this picture who they identified as one of the doctors that took care of David Ortiz; they say he just informed them that he is out of danger.
      Last edited by Judge Jude; 06-09-2019, 10:27 PM.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Per the report, Ortiz was shot in a burglary at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo, and transported to a local hospital. A suspect has been arrested, according to Dominican journalist Jose Monegro.

Ortiz was shot in the lower back, and the bullet exited through his stomach, according to ESPN. The 43-year-old underwent surgery, and reportedly told the emergency room doctor: “Please don’t let me die, I’m a good man.”

According to Dominican journalist Dionisio Soldevilla, Ortiz is currently in stable condition.
        https://sports.yahoo.com/boston-red-...020705191.html
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Reports are saying that there are several suspects in the robbery with some still at large.

Felix Durán Mejia, a spokesman for the Dominican National Police.
          Durán Mejia confirmed to CNN that Ortiz was shot in the back in "an incident that took place at Dial Discotheque in Santo Domingo." Durán Mejia said Ortiz was shot by a motorcyclist who approached Ortiz directly.
          edit: Other reports say it was not a robbery.
          Last edited by madducks; 06-09-2019, 11:33 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Ortiz's father told reporters late Sunday night that the bullet didn't hit any organs, but Dominican journalist Leo Lopez informed ESPN on Monday morning that doctors "had to remove parts of the intestines and the colon and remove the gallbladder," and that the Red Sox legend also suffered some liver damage. Ortiz continues to be treated by doctors at a hospital in Santo Domingo. He was shot in the back by a motorcyclist outside the Dial Discotheque on Sunday. Dominican television host Jhoel Lopez was also struck. Thoughts and prayers go out to both.
            (Source: Marly Rivera on Twitter)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The DR seems to be a very bad place, with several deaths to Americans the last few weeks and now this. Perhaps a man of his means could find a safer place to live.

Comment

I did hear on the radio today that he was in good condition although being shot is never good. We sure live in a crazy world. Hope Big Papi and talk show host are both ok.

Comment

Marly Rivera
                  53m53 minutes ago

According to Leo López, who works as David Ortiz’s assistant and press representative, his last surgery ended at 3:30am and he’ll remain in intensive care for the next 24 hours. López said doctors had to remove Ortiz’s gallbladder and control bleeding from his liver and bowel.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Marly Rivera
                    53m53 minutes ago

According to Leo López, who works as David Ortiz’s assistant and press representative, his last surgery ended at 3:30am and he’ll remain in intensive care for the next 24 hours. López said doctors had to remove Ortiz’s gallbladder and control bleeding from his liver and bowel.
                    Those organs getting shot also have a high risk of infection. This is much worse than the original reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Those organs getting shot also have a high risk of infection. This is much worse than the original reports.
                      I hope he doesn't have long term problems with his liver.

Comment

Ortiz will be transferred by air ambulance to a Boston hospital on Monday evening.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

So sad that these things happen. We become more aware of them when they happen to someone famous or someone we know, but this happens all too often. Ortiz has always been a great ambassador fort he game and by accounts I've read, for the communities she has played in and the one he comes from. I imagine the DR is filled with outrage that this happened to him. I understand those critical of his decision to go back, but I also understand his desire to do so. It is where he came from. It is where his family and friends are. It is hard to cut ties with that, and no one should have to. But I understand that sentiment/advice in the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Ortiz will be transferred by air ambulance to a Boston hospital on Monday evening.
                            That is great news. It means he is well enough to fly this fast. I just read reports that he is expected to fully recover. That is great.

Comment

A man detained following the shooting of Red Sox all-star David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic appeared in court late Tuesday on a charge of being an accomplice to the attempted murder of the former baseball player.
                              Féliz García and a second man arrived at the nightclub on a motorcycle before one of them opened fire, police said. The two tried to drive away after the shooting, but the motorcycle fell to the pavement, police said.
                              A crowd attacked Féliz García and handed him over to police, but the second man got away on foot, police said.
                              https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/us/da...ges/index.html

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X