House purchase advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House purchase advice

We have been renters for seven years in our current location, because we didn't plan on staying here long term. It looks like we will be here for the long haul, so now we are looking to buy. We have a two kids, 1 and 4 years old, and a dog.

We are discovering that for what we can afford (property taxes here are just insane, often over 10k per year and sometimes even over 15k for houses in the 250k-325k range, we will have to make compromises, and we can't decide which ones to make, so I'm looking for advice from those who have made such decisions and regret or don't regret them.

If these were your three options, which would you pick and why:

Option 1: We have one place we are really tempted to make an offer that is about 14 miles from work and about a 20 minute drive, and it is fairly new build that is top notch on the inside and is in a fantastic subdivision--this house is nice but would be one of the least nice houses in the whole subdivision. The school district is well rated, but it is so rural and spread out, the elementary school is about 8 miles from the house and the MS and HS are about 12 miles. It has 3 major drawbacks: 1. The front yard and driveway is really steep, which makes mowing and clearing snow a hassle (our current rental is like that and I hate that about it). 2. The back yard is basically non-existent/unusable for what we want to do with it, which is a bummer for our dog and our kids. It has a big paved patio area for sitting/grilling and is fenced, but it is really small on the whole and has no grass. 3. They call it a 2 car garage, but it is more like a 1.5 car garage. It is only 18 feet wide, with is really, really tight with 2 SUVs. A standard garage is 24 feet wide, which is what we have now. Anyone out there are a garage this small that you still try to fit two vehicles into? Are door dings inevitable as you shimmy your way out?

Option 2: A well rounded place that checks all the boxes to a degree, but none to the degree that Option 1 does on the inside or option 3 does inside and out. It has a bit of a back yard--more than option 1 but not great. It has a nice flat front yard. It has a garage that is a foot bigger at 19 feet wide, but still undersized (online I've read that a 2 car garage should be at minimum 20 feet wide and even at that you are only going to comfortably fit two compact cars). It also beats option 1 on schools, as it is two blocks away from the best elementary and middle school combo in the area. But everything in the house, while nice, is just a bit more worn and lower end than Option 1. It doesn't wow us as much and has some things like cracks in the counter tops and nicks here and there, but it is fine. The only real bummer for my wife is a lack of a tub in the master bath. The neighborhood isn't as high end as Option 1 as it has more modest and older homes, but it is a real nice middle class area that seems filled with families and kids. It is the cheapest of the three, but since the FSBO owner refuses to pay our real estate agent, and is probably also the least likely to budge on price, I'm guessing the final price will be pretty close to Option 1 and not a whole lot cheaper than Option 3.

Option 3: If we go a bit farther out into the boonies than Option 1, with a 15 mile/22 minute commute (in the opposite direction), we could get a ridiculously big place that checks all of the boxes--flat front and back yards, big garage, massive closets, the whole 9 yards and then some. Style wise, it isn't exactly what we'd want, and it isn't as pristine as Option 1, but it is still very nice and has all of the room we could ever need. The one real draw back of this place, besides it being a bit more money than the other two, is that it isn't in a neighborhood. It is on a country road with modest and run down homes and farms (some abandoned) on it. Super rural, not a nice subdivision in a kinda rural location like Option 1. We have never considered not being in a neighborhood before, where you can take the kids and dog for a nice walk or go trick or treating on Halloween, etc. But again, this house is massive and checks all the other boxes to one degree or another. We just worry about the fact it costs a bit more and may be tough to resell being out in the boonies.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-04-2019, 11:05 PM.

Any others available? Sounds like all 3 aren’t real good options for you.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Ha, you and I think alike. I want to wait. Our rental house is cheaper rent than any of the mortgages, we have zero in saving right now and would have to borrow from retirement to buy anything, but I will make an extra 15k this summer, hustling with every extra class and side hustle I can do. And one kid will be out of day care come September. So I want to wait till next Spring when we will be much better off financially. But my wife, when she flips the switch, she is relentless. It doesn't matter that we are broke and that our real estate agent says he has never seen less inventory in the Spring before. She only rented this long because she thought we'd be able to move back close to family, but neither of us can get jobs that pay as well as our current jobs here. Now that she realizes that, she cannot wait to own a home again. She doesn't like our rental house and wants to own. Now. I generally lose these battles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Ha, you and I think alike. I want to wait. Our rental house is cheaper rent than any of the mortgages, we have zero in saving right now and would have to borrow from retirement to buy anything, but I will make an extra 15k this summer, hustling with every extra class and side hustle I can do. And one kid will be out of day care come September. So I want to wait till next Spring when we will be much better off financially. But my wife, when she flips the switch, she is relentless. It doesn't matter that we are broke and that our real estate agent says he has never seen less inventory in the Spring before. She only rented this long because she thought we'd be able to move back close to family, but neither of us can get jobs that pay as well as our current jobs here. Now that she realizes that, she cannot wait to own a home again. She doesn't like our rental house and wants to own. Now. I generally lose these battles.
        So option 2 doesn't sound like it has any deal breakers maybe ? Being close 2 schools good be really nice. Being in a neighborhood will be nice for your kids. Is there room in the master bath for you to put in a tub ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          So option 2 doesn't sound like it has any deal breakers maybe ? Being close 2 schools good be really nice. Being in a neighborhood will be nice for your kids. Is there room in the master bath for you to put in a tub ?
          My wife thinks so. I don't. It has a weird set up with a sink inside the bathroom area, and one outside with carpet underneath. She thinks if we take out the inside sink and just leave the outside sink, we will have enough room to put in a small claw tub. But I think we'd also have to move the toilet and redo the shower. And she'd want to do all this right away, while I'd want to wait to save up so we wouldn't have to put it on credit cards are use retirement loans. But yeah, that is pretty much the only clear dealbreaker for the place. Well, except that the garage is tight. Not as tight as Option 1, though, but still door dings waiting to happen, I think.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Keep looking. For what will probably be the biggest purchase of your life, you and your wife should get a house that neither one of you will have any regrets about. Don't settle for a house that you like a little bit. Hold out for the one that you love.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              My thoughts exactly. Keep looking. For what will probably be the biggest purchase of your life, you and your wife should get a house that neither one of you will have any regrets about. Don't settle for a house that you like a little bit. Hold out for the one that you love.
              We fear we will never find it. We ended up building are first home in Kentucky because we wanted the perfect place. Loved that house. We have thought about building again, but right now we can't afford what we'd want to build. It would take a couple of years of saving. I would wait. My wife would not. Plus it is way harder here. In Kentucky, we found a builder, bought a lot from them, one stop shopping for everything. Here, we'd have to find our own land. Buy it separate and first, and pay the builder in stages, not all at once when it is done. Would be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Ha, you and I think alike. I want to wait. Our rental house is cheaper rent than any of the mortgages, we have zero in saving right now and would have to borrow from retirement to buy anything but I will make an extra 15k this summer, hustling with every extra class and side hustle I can do. And one kid will be out of day care come September. So I want to wait till next Spring when we will be much better off financially. But my wife, when she flips the switch, she is relentless. It doesn't matter that we are broke and that our real estate agent says he has never seen less inventory in the Spring before. She only rented this long because she thought we'd be able to move back close to family, but neither of us can get jobs that pay as well as our current jobs here. Now that she realizes that, she cannot wait to own a home again. She doesn't like our rental house and wants to own. Now. I generally lose these battles.
                Aagh! While I get it, doing this is a travesty!

Since the property taxes would be so high, what’s the potential monthly mortgage (30-year, I assume) vs renting?

Comment

Since the property taxes would be so high, what’s the potential monthly mortgage (30-year, I assume) vs renting?
                  We pay 2k now per month. Mortgages would run from 2200-2500 for the options we are looking at (best option for us is probably a rare 15/15 mortgage with a one time adjustment at 15 years, which we probably won't be here for anyway, as that option covers closing costs), with the fear they could go up as people are hit with tax hikes and reassessments here. Some of the houses we see are assessed at less than half what we'd pay for them. That is a worry of mine.

I have made the retirement borrowing argument, but TIAA does make it sound not so bad. If you pay it back within the amount of time required, no penalties, right?

Comment

on this, Revo and I completely agree. him from being an expert in personal finance and me from being born to 40+ year-old parents who grew up in the Great Depression.

might you be able to suggest visiting a certified financial professional for advice? not a crazy idea for most people, and don't tell anyone - but your sentiment is likely to loom large with a CFP. but in a nice way. and once it's not your suggestion, it has more weight.

#justsayin

"Some of the houses we see are assessed at less than half what we'd pay for them. That is a worry of mine."

another revo angle. communities overdue for another assessment - and NJ at times is 20 years behind - are possible ticking time bombs.

best of luck, however it plays out.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I like to piss my dad (a CPA) off by suggesting I am going to borrow from my retirement all the time. That is basically his #1 on the taboo list.

Oh, and SM, sounds like keep looking. My wife and I ended up looking for 2 years before we found something that checked most of our boxes.

Comment

just a couple of random thoughts ...

you don't really address what your priorities are; you mention that you've always lived in a neighbourhood and haven't lived in a rural setting or on the edge of one ... yet it seems that's where you're looking. I've lived in a big city & small town, but in each the type of area (eg. walk vs drive to get a quart/litre of milk) was very top of mind for me when looking. Plus, if you're looking at getting a place that will require any significant reno work you need to work those into your budgets (once you both agree what you're going to reno ... which leads me to my next point ... )

you also really need to make sure you & your wife are on the same page on the big choices before getting into a negotiation ... once she's seen the place she wants (or you for that matter) it becomes emotional and then feelings are what matter, not numbers, and then if you take a stand you're just an asshole ... well, that never happened to me but I've heard it can happen ...
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Honestly, I think you need to battle harder with your wife on this one. None of the options sound great and on top of that your finances are going be stronger if you wait. I realize that's a hell of a lot easier to say from afar, but JJ's suggestion if seeking outside opinions from professionals might help.

If you absolutely have to choose one of these three (which sounds ridiculous to me, are you on HDTV?), I'd need to see pics
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Oh, and I wanted to respond to the garage part of the discussion - do you guys really use your garages to park your cars in it??? Radical concept.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              Oh, and I wanted to respond to the garage part of the discussion - do you guys really use your garages to park your cars in it??? Radical concept.
                              My garage seems to be for all the things that I can't quite convince my wife to get rid of, but at least have transitioned to outside the house. Also, our spare fridge that we got for free for beer and such. I don't think I've had a car in there for two years.

Comment

Working...
                              X