X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2019 MLB Draft Thread

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-dr...plete-coverage

1) Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
    Despite all the smokescreens that the Orioles might go in another direction, they took the consensus best prospect available. It would have been very hard to pass on a switch-hitting catcher who can hit for average and power, draws a ton of walks and plays quality defense behind the plate. Plus, his makeup is off the charts. He now becomes the face of the franchise.

2) Royals: Bobby Witt Jr., SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS
    No big surprise here, either. We knew the Royals loved Bobby Witt Jr., and it was an obvious pick once Rutschman was off the board. He's a rare potential five-tool shortstop who can be a 20-20 guy and will definitely stay at short. And his fastball has touched the mid-90s when he has been on the mound, so the arm strength is obvious. Scouts also rave that his instincts and makeup are even better than the tools. He and his father, Bobby Sr., who was the No. 3 overall pick by the Rangers in 1985, are now the highest drafted father-son duo ever.

3) White Sox: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California
    While there was some thought that the White Sox might prefer an up-the-middle player, they didn't overthink it, and they grabbed the best all-around hitter available. If there's a player in this Draft who is most likely to hit .300 with 30 home runs on an annual basis, it's Vaughn. Yes, he's a right-right first baseman who isn't very tall (6-foot-0), but so was Jeff Bagwell.

4) Marlins: JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt
    Bleday entered the year as a likely first-round pick, although more in the middle of the first round. Scouts knew he could hit and play right field, but they wanted to see him show more power. Mission accomplished. Bleday led NCAA Division I with 26 home runs entering the NCAA Tournament without losing his ability to still hit for average (.353). He immediately becomes the best offensive prospect in the Marlins system.

5) Tigers: Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS (Oviedo, Fla.)
    The Tigers' interest in Greene was no secret. Most clubs considered him the best pure high school hitter in this class, and his power is an asset as well. He's going to be a corner guy, maybe a left fielder, but the bat should really play.

6) Padres: CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity Catholic HS (Roswell, Ga.)
    As expected, the consensus top six position players went as the top six picks of the Draft. That's a record for the most hitters selected to start any Draft. Abrams is one of the best athletes and fastest runners in the high school crop, and he also has solid hitting ability with some sneaky pop. There's a little debate as to whether he's a shortstop or a center fielder in the long run, but he can make an impact at either position.

7) Reds: Nick Lodolo, LHP, Texas Christian
    The top seven picks have played out like many prognosticated, and Lodolo could start a run of college pitchers with the next few picks. He improved significantly as a junior this spring, developing an effective slider after struggling to master a breaking ball in the past. He should have three solid-or-better pitches in his fastball, slider and changeup, and the control to match. He has a very high floor and is a good bet to become a No. 3 starter.

8) Rangers: Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech
    I thought Jung was a little underrated coming in to the Draft, but apparently he wasn't if he's going eighth overall. After Rutschman and Vaughn, Jung is the next-best all-around hitter in the college class. He's hit for more average than power so far, but I think there could be 25 homers in there per season once he turns and lifts more pitches. He's a little bit of an underrated defender at third base, and the Red Raiders have also played him at shortstop this season.

9) Braves: Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
    (Compensation pick for unsigned 2018 first-rounder Carter Stewart) The Braves grabbed the best defensive catcher in the entire Draft right here. Langeliers has a chance to become a Gold Glover, with polished receiving skills, a cannon arm and more athleticism than most at his position. He struggled at the plate as a sophomore but bounced back this spring, and he should be able to hit for a decent average with some power. He could be Austin Hedges with more offense.

10) Giants: Hunter Bishop, OF, Arizona State
    Bishop is the first player taken who wasn't a consensus first-round talent coming into the year. He's a tremendous athlete with one of the better power-speed combinations available, and he did a better job of tapping into that power by adopting a more disciplined approach this spring. He also proved he could handle center field and has one of the higher ceilings on the college side in this Draft.

11) Blue Jays: Alek Manoah, RHP, West Virginia
    At 6-6, 260 pounds, Manoah looks the part of a power pitcher. He's physically imposing on the mound and works in the mid-90s with heavy sink and tough plane on his fastball. His hard slider gives him a second weapon that's hard to handle, and he has a solid changeup as well. The key for Manoah will be keeping his large frame in sync, but he's done a nice job of throwing more strikes this spring.

12) Mets: Brett Baty, 3B, Lake Travis HS (Austin, Texas)
    Really glad to see Baty go where his talent merits, rather than people getting hung up on the fact that he's already 19 years old, which is definitely "old" for a high school draftee. Talent is talent, and he's one of the top five all-around hitters in this Draft. I have a hard time deciding if he's a pure hitter with a ton of raw power or if he's more of a slugger who also has hitting ability. I think he's got a better chance to stick at third base than some give him credit for, but the bat will play at first base if he has to move.

13) Twins: Keoni Cavaco, 3B, Eastlake HS (Chula Vista, Calif.)
    Cavaco had more helium than any player in the upper first round heading into the final days before the Draft, and this proves it. He possesses an exciting package of tools, starting with his power-speed combination. He also fits the third-base profile to a T with his pop and strong arm.

14) Phillies: Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV
    Here's our first college shortstop -- and get ready for about a half-dozen more to get selected in the bottom half of the first round. Stott has a chance to have a pretty solid all-around package for his position. He's going to hit for more power than the average shortstop, and he's also a solid runner and defender who should be able to stay at the position.

15) Angels: Will Wilson, SS, North Carolina State
    Well, that didn't take long for our second college shortstop. Wilson is one of the best hitters among middle infielders in college baseball, and he has at least above-average raw power. He is probably going to have to move to second base at the next level, because he's a below-average runner and he is likely better suited for the other side of the bag. The good news is he has more than enough offense to fit the profile at second.

(that's 7 NL guys, and I likely pick 6th on June 15. can pick current minor leaguers, too, but no one in preseason top 75 is unowned. and of the NL guys "overdrafted" per Rotisserie ball standards?)
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

anybody?

Buehler? anybody?

(ironically I chose Buehler a few years back in this very draft)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I like Baty for your pick. I am a Mets fan however.

Would not go with Langeliers given presence of Contreras in ATL’s system. Maybe Cavaco as your alternate.

Comment

Drew Waters, zac gallen, Luis Castro are gone already?

Comment

I have no chance at Beaty in this league; he may go No. 1. don't like Langeliers, either.
          Waters is gone. Castro at High A at age 23. I know it's Rockies system, but....
          Gallen is available, too. I suspect he'll be gone at Pick 6 or 7, but I like your thinking!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

How about Corbin Carroll from Arizona, KLaw is really high on him

Comment

yes, I have Carroll in my top 5 so likely would take if he's there when I pick 6th or 7th next week

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

guh, I just picked 6th and Carroll was there and I did NOT take him

this is a Mets-loving league so I figured Brett Baty would be the top pick. with him still there for me - not sure yet if I choked. a good start in the next year, and he's gold in trade bait. but several Mets fans looked elsewhere before me

1. JJ Bleday, Marlins OF
                2. C.J. Abrams, Padres SS
                3. Nick Lodolo, Reds P
                4. Dylan Carlson, Cardinals OF
                5. Hunter Bishop, Giants OF
                6. Brett Baty, Mets 3B (ME)
                7. Anthony Kay, Mets P
                8. Corbin Carroll, Diamondbacks OF
                9. Marshal Kasowski, Dodgers P
                3 more to go

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Time will tell, I’m definitely going after Carroll next year

So who is the better 3rd baseman between Baty or Vientos

Comment

Working...
                  X