Sales jobs / advice -- Louisville and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales jobs / advice -- Louisville and beyond

So my son (28 y/o) finally quit his sales job in Louisville. The gig was a direct-to-consumer, commission-only sales-and-management job working for a company that seemed to enjoy moving the goalposts when things were going good and providing little or no support when they were not.

I have no doubt he'll land on his feet. He can sell anything to anyone.

Now that he's put the prior gig behind him, his horizons are wide open. He likes Louisville and would stay there, all else being equal. (He moved there from Maryland three years ago).

But he'd move for the right opportunity.

I've suggested he check out bourbon makers in Louisville (they have got to be looking for people who can sell) but he's not sure he wants to mix his professional life with what he enjoys recreationally.

I also think if he could get a job working for a sports franchise somewhere, he'd move tomorrow. But those jobs may be few and competition fierce.

Anybody got any leads? Experience-based advice?

I don't know much about sales jobs in the area, but I did live in Louisville for just over 5 years. You are spot on about looking at opportunities in the Bourbon industry. That is big business in that area. The biggest business is in shipping and cargo, though. For instance, UPS is a MAJOR employer in the area and they have sales positions. I had many students who worked at UPS and stayed with the company afterward. They treated students right and the advancement opportunities are compelling. Another option is the horse industry. I imagine there has to be sales involved with that business, and there is some stupid money in it in that area. Finally, as far as sports, the Reds AAA affiliate, the Bats, are there. Maybe that could be an in to the bigs for him.

Comment

Boone,
      if you get no other responses, it's mainly because that's kind of a "drop the mic" post - tough to beat!
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thanks Sour Masher!
        I think he's gonna consider NY metro area as well ...

Comment

Working...
        X