No announcement yet.

National Burger Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A man is suing Burger King because the meatless Impossible Whopper is cooked on the same grill as meat products, the lawsuit alleges.
    The class action lawsuit, filed Monday in the Southern District of Florida, claims that although the burger chain advertises its vegan option as meat-free, it is contaminated by meat by-product because it's cooked on the same grill as meat products.
    The suit accuses Burger King of false advertising and benefiting monetarily from offering a vegan option that is not in fact vegan.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/19/busin...rnd/index.html
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

He has a point.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Fast food offering vegan burgers, I would never eat it. I've heard the vast majority of vegan burgers sold at chains are sold to omnivores looking for a healthy alternative. I love that it's becoming more accessible to others.

I have a vegan burger joint 1 block from home, so I'm lucky.

As far as the lawsuit, make Burger King choose: either dedicate some grill space as meat-free, and train employees about food contamination, or don't offer "vegan burgers". It is, or it isn't. I hope lawsuits don't incentivize chains to avoid offering vegan options though.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          As far as the lawsuit, make Burger King choose: either dedicate some grill space as meat-free, and train employees about food contamination, or don't offer "vegan burgers".
          Did Burger King themselves try to market this as a vegan option? I've never seen that, it's possible I just missed it. The advertisements I saw labelled it as a "plant-based protein-filled patty", but made no claim of being vegan.

Comment

From an article in August:

"For vegetarians who want to stay to a strict meat-free regiment, a spokesperson for Burger King confirmed to TODAY that guests ordering the Impossible burger in stores may ask for the patty to be cooked in the oven instead of grilled alongside other meats."

So yeah, it doesn't appear this was an issue with Burger King, instead it's just someone else who wants to sue. No news here, people will sue for basically anything these days.

Comment

Drench my burger liberally with mustard, ketchup, maybe even barbecue sauce. The more sauces, the better, as long as they aren't mayo.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

The Impossible part is that some of the customers think this burger isn't shit nutritionally.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  The Impossible part is that some of the customers think this burger isn't shit nutritionally.
                  Don't meat burgers leave something to be desired nutritionally, too?
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

well, you get a ton of extra sodium in the fake burgers - in case anyone is too low on their daily sodium intake (said no one ever).

plus the fake ones have less protein, in case you get too much of that (unlikely).

there are reasons to prefer the fake ones - such as environmental. but nutritionally?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      well, you get a ton of extra sodium in the fake burgers - in case anyone is too low on their daily sodium intake (said no one ever).

plus the fake ones have less protein, in case you get too much of that (unlikely).

there are reasons to prefer the fake ones - such as environmental. but nutritionally?
                      Yeah, I prefer my meals loaded with cholesterol... for my health.

I understand the meat industry pushback has been telling people the vegan burgers are unhealthy, but I need to correct the record.

As for the protein bit, vegans get a ton of protein from plants, beans, oats, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc. Much more full vitamin profile than meat. Its a total meat industry myth. All of the protein you get from meat is passed on from the protein that animal consumed in plants. Vegans go to the source. As for the sodium bit, the last time my blood pressure was taken, I was told it was "perfect", after several years before being slightly elevated. Sodium is highest in processed foods, of which most people rely too heavily, myself included. Although a vegan burger is processed and high in sodium, if it's part of a healthy vegan diet, it should have negligible effects. Much less than processed meats like sausage and bacon, considered to be the worst products for health, highly carcinogenic.

My dad just got over a 2 week cold. I haven't had a cold or flu last longer than 2 days since going vegan. But I'm sure my 57 year old, overweight and heavily diabetic and heart diseased dad just got his illnesses from his genes. Must skip a generation.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I think one of the biggest problems with producing meat is the overuse of antibiotics, and as a result the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Drench my burger liberally with mustard, ketchup, maybe even barbecue sauce. The more sauces, the better, as long as they aren't mayo.
                          Would never have guessed you were a condimentist. Damn, dude.
                          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            I think one of the biggest problems with producing meat is the overuse of antibiotics, and as a result the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria.
                            Awesome point. Sickness and antibiotic overuse has dramatically increased as factory farms have further consolidated and crammed more animals into smaller spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                              Deadly meat bacteria lurking in our food supply are no laughing matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                Yeah, I prefer my meals loaded with cholesterol... for my health.

I understand the meat industry pushback has been telling people the vegan burgers are unhealthy, but I need to correct the record.

As for the protein bit, vegans get a ton of protein from plants, beans, oats, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc. Much more full vitamin profile than meat. Its a total meat industry myth. All of the protein you get from meat is passed on from the protein that animal consumed in plants. Vegans go to the source. As for the sodium bit, the last time my blood pressure was taken, I was told it was "perfect", after several years before being slightly elevated. Sodium is highest in processed foods, of which most people rely too heavily, myself included. Although a vegan burger is processed and high in sodium, if it's part of a healthy vegan diet, it should have negligible effects. Much less than processed meats like sausage and bacon, considered to be the worst products for health, highly carcinogenic.

My dad just got over a 2 week cold. I haven't had a cold or flu last longer than 2 days since going vegan. But I'm sure my 57 year old, overweight and heavily diabetic and heart diseased dad just got his illnesses from his genes. Must skip a generation.
                                "Although a vegan burger is processed and high in sodium, if it's part of a healthy vegan diet, it should have negligible effects."

If anything at all is part of a healthy vegan diet, it should have negligble effects. It's ridiculous to equate an Impossible burger alone with a vegan diet overall, and I don't know why you did.

"My dad just got over a 2 week cold. I haven't had a cold or flu last longer than 2 days since going vegan. But I'm sure my 57 year old, overweight and heavily diabetic and heart diseased dad just got his illnesses from his genes. Must skip a generation."

I haven't had a cold or flu last longer than 2 days since I was born, literally. I actually have never had the flu in my life, and my last cold was almost 20 years ago. I'm 58. No diabetes nor heart disease, and not much overweight, either. I don't think my dad, who lived to be 92, ever had such a cold or flu. Must NOT skip a generation, it turns out.
                                Last edited by Judge Jude; 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X