X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any boaters here?

Anyone boat?

Canoe, fishing, pontoon, ski?

A couple of years ago we bought an old pontoon boat that was in great shape. It was docked with a for sale sign on it right outside our favorite weekend breakfast place. I never thought of myself as a pontoon boat kind of guy. The beautiful setting, ease of access and the asking price was too good to pass up.

One of the things I liked about buying an older cheaper boat was that we did not feel the need to spend every weekend there (short season). It was the easiest, no pressure relaxing get a way I could imagine. My family enjoyed the boat so much that we said we wanted do this for the rest of our lives.

Last October we went to make arrangements to take the boat out of the water only to find that a storm had ripped it off the dock and threw it sideways on to the beach. A couple of weeks ago we found out that the Marina was going to recommend that the boat be totaled. Being boatless and not knowing the future we had to give up the slip in front of our breakfast place.

We were stunned and saddened.

The healing salve would be to find another older pontoon in great shape. We are working on that now. The lake experience will change. We have decided to go on The Chain of Lakes. It has many miles of shorelines and coves to explore. Fishing is very good.

We hope to have the insurance money, new old boat, and slip business done this weekend or next. We are getting excited about the new adventure.

Any of you spend time on the water?

we have a "never buy a boat" rule in our family
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Does whitewater rafting count? If so, then yes! I try to go every year we have high water in Colorado. We had an extraordinary amount of precipitation this winter, so the rivers will definitely be fast this summer. I'm thinking of heading down to Salida/ Buena Vista for their annual whitewater festival Father's Day weekend - my favorite band Cracker is the musical headliner this year. W00t!
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        we have a "never buy a boat" rule in our family
        I used to own a jet ski but I did not use it enough. Had a lot of fun with it but not enough to justify it once we had kids (although it will probably come back around in teenage years).

I wonder how many times you have to use a boat for the math to work out on owning vs renting. I think renting a boat is the way to go.

Comment

Anyone boat?

Canoe, fishing, pontoon, ski?

A couple of years ago we bought an old pontoon boat that was in great shape. It was docked with a for sale sign on it right outside our favorite weekend breakfast place. I never thought of myself as a pontoon boat kind of guy. The beautiful setting, ease of access and the asking price was too good to pass up.

One of the things I liked about buying an older cheaper boat was that we did not feel the need to spend every weekend there (short season). It was the easiest, no pressure relaxing get a way I could imagine. My family enjoyed the boat so much that we said we wanted do this for the rest of our lives.

Last October we went to make arrangements to take the boat out of the water only to find that a storm had ripped it off the dock and threw it sideways on to the beach. A couple of weeks ago we found out that the Marina was going to recommend that the boat be totaled. Being boatless and not knowing the future we had to give up the slip in front of our breakfast place.

We were stunned and saddened.

The healing salve would be to find another older pontoon in great shape. We are working on that now. The lake experience will change. We have decided to go on The Chain of Lakes. It has many miles of shorelines and coves to explore. Fishing is very good.

We hope to have the insurance money, new old boat, and slip business done this weekend or next. We are getting excited about the new adventure.

Boat and a Gun - I see where this is heading...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I used to own a jet ski but I did not use it enough. Had a lot of fun with it but not enough to justify it once we had kids (although it will probably come back around in teenage years).

I wonder how many times you have to use a boat for the math to work out on owning vs renting. I think renting a boat is the way to go.
            The maintenance a boat requires has to be counted as well, that alone has to cost more than a couple of rental days a year.....

I'm a big fan of "FWB", friends with boats, and will help with boat maintenance to get invited on boat trips
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I looked for a long time when I was back east. Wanted something I could take out in the ocean and go scuba diving off of. Something big enough to spend the night on out in the ocean. If I had gotten the teaching jobs I was looking into back then, I would have pulled the trigger as I would have my summers off, but I think the dream is gone now. Now's it's just, when I win the lottery I'll get a big sail boat and sail around and around the world.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  Does whitewater rafting count? If so, then yes! I try to go every year we have high water in Colorado. We had an extraordinary amount of precipitation this winter, so the rivers will definitely be fast this summer. I'm thinking of heading down to Salida/ Buena Vista for their annual whitewater festival Father's Day weekend - my favorite band Cracker is the musical headliner this year. W00t!
                  Nice.

The idea of whitewater rafting scares me. I am sure it is thrilling. It just seems like too much could go wrong for me to play.

I hope you have a safe and great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Slip, winter storage, winterizing, summerizing, and insurance will cost us an average of $200 per month. Still have add in gas but that is needed on rentals as well. My boat should easily last 10 years. If I take the cost of the boat divided by 10 years then divide that by 5 months (season), it will run about $170 per month. This assumes at the end of the run the boat is worth $0.

If I take all of the rest of the costs $2400 per year and divide that by 5 months that would be $480 per month. So my total all in cost less gas will be approx. $650 per month for the 5 month season. If I allow that the boat will be worth a conservative $3000 for resale at the end of 10 years I can subtract $60 for an all in cost of $590 per month per season.

The advertised cheapest boat rentals on the Chain of Lakes is $255 for a half day or $455 for a full day.

We have to use the boat a day and a half per month to be even.

One of the advantages of owning is we can go out for an hour or so anytime we want. Just grabbing a sandwich and going for a short ride and picnic after work, watching the sun go down is of great value to us.

There is also no pressure of a time limit/deadline to mess with our serenity. No clock watching.

Comment

after i bought my RV, which i've been living in for a month now, i realized i could've bought a boat and lived in a marina fairly close to school in Pawtucket. i still keep it open as an option. but i like the RV. it's a classic in great condition and a 440. i get like 6-7 miles per gallon. but i do like the idea of boating. i'd have to learn how to sail. and unlike an RV, i can just drop anchor and not worry about trespassing. and you can fish! if i go to Alaska i'd have to take the long way around, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                        I have no intention of becoming a Pirate.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                          after i bought my RV, which i've been living in for a month now, i realized i could've bought a boat and lived in a marina fairly close to school in Pawtucket. i still keep it open as an option. but i like the RV. it's a classic in great condition and a 440. i get like 6-7 miles per gallon. but i do like the idea of boating. i'd have to learn how to sail. and unlike an RV, i can just drop anchor and not worry about trespassing. and you can fish! if i go to Alaska i'd have to take the long way around, hehe.
                          What would you do in winter?

Comment

I've heard winter is coming.....

Comment

Global warming!
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                              X