Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keuchel needs a lesson in basic economics

Rotoworld:
    Dallas Keuchel told Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports that he's turned down "numerous deals."
    The specifics of those offers are unclear, but Keuchel said his agent, Scott Boras, recommended that he seriously consider some of them. However, the southpaw said he rejected them on "principle" because he wasn't getting what he considers to be fair market value. He's rightfully frustrated at the system, but holding firm on his asking price.
    Im not sure how long Keuchel attended the University of Arkansas (and if he had time to enroll in an economics course), but I think someone needs to explain to him that "fair market value" would be what a buyer is willing to pay...not what you think you should be paid. Just ask anyone who has ever sold their business. What a clown!

Full story from Yahoo: https://sports.yahoo.com/dallas-keuc...035643666.html

It would be interesting to see what deals he turned down. What is also interesting that Boras recommended that he seriously consider some of those deals. I assume that Keuchel was looking to get a 4-5 year contract worth 80-100 mil and teams are shying away because what happens toward the end of the contract. Ask Chris Ilitch Tiger's owner this question? Miggy for Detroit is getting paid 30 mil per year until 2024-25. Season ending injury last season and 1 HR so far this season. I'm sure Chris Ilitch goes to bed at night saying Dad I love you but did you really have to extend Miggy's contract? Point is when there are free agents and they are over 30 teams might not want to give these players the long term high dollar contracts. If you ask me I say that is smart business by teams not willing to get burned with these type of contracts. What if Keuchel was offered 50 mil for 3 years? Would that be so horrible? Both Keuchel and Kimbrel could have gotten decent contracts, playing ball and still be set for the rest of their lives. Keuchel is 31 so time is not on his side. Maybe he should think about that.

Comment

No sympathy for Keuchel or Kimbrel. The vets have always been happy to sacrifice the younger players' earnings for their own and now the CBA they agreed to is affecting them. Oops!

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        It would be interesting to see what deals he turned down. What is also interesting that Boras recommended that he seriously consider some of those deals. I assume that Keuchel was looking to get a 4-5 year contract worth 80-100 mil and teams are shying away because what happens toward the end of the contract. Ask Chris Ilitch Tiger's owner this question? Miggy for Detroit is getting paid 30 mil per year until 2024-25. Season ending injury last season and 1 HR so far this season. I'm sure Chris Ilitch goes to bed at night saying Dad I love you but did you really have to extend Miggy's contract? Point is when there are free agents and they are over 30 teams might not want to give these players the long term high dollar contracts. If you ask me I say that is smart business by teams not willing to get burned with these type of contracts. What if Keuchel was offered 50 mil for 3 years? Would that be so horrible? Both Keuchel and Kimbrel could have gotten decent contracts, playing ball and still be set for the rest of their lives. Keuchel is 31 so time is not on his side. Maybe he should think about that.
        Not that Boras needs it but he doesnt get paid while Keuchel sits out.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I heard and interesting theory about Keuchel and sinkerballers in general the other day from Steve Phillips on XM. His thought is that with the change in swing paths that many hitters have taken these days, sinkerballs literally dive right into the bat path. Which is leading teams to shy away from tht type of pitcher...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I heard and interesting theory about Keuchel and sinkerballers in general the other day from Steve Phillips on XM. His thought is that with the change in swing paths that many hitters have taken these days, sinkerballs literally dive right into the bat path. Which is leading teams to shy away from tht type of pitcher...
            I would agree - these things obviously shift over time with the ebb and flow of pitchers adjusting to hitters adjusting to pitchers/etc. But right now due to the launch angle focus the high fastball is more effective, at least relative to what we saw ~5-10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Not that Boras needs it but he doesnt get paid while Keuchel sits out.
              True but Boras is generally good at working out contracts for his players and I imagine that if Boras thought this was the best that Keuchel would get then perhaps he should have looked at it.

Comment

If the players union ever suspected that an agent was working for his own interests instead of the player he represents he'd be long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                  True but Boras is generally good at working out contracts for his players and I imagine that if Boras thought this was the best that Keuchel would get then perhaps he should have looked at it.
                  If Boras, who always shoot for the moon, is telling you maybe this is what the market is for you, I think that is probably what it is. Few, if any, people would now better than Boras.

Comment

Working...
                  X