Trade value of closers and opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade value of closers and opinion

It seems like closers have become more valuable when discussing trades with fellow owners.

I inquired about Doolittle and the owner said it would take someone like Domingo Santana.

Would you deal Domingo for Doolittle?

I first thought no way as Domingo has been really good, but am starting to lean towards making the offer as I need a closer.

Thanks.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I wouldn't do it...the turnover rate among closers is probably something close to 40 percent during the course of a season. Studs are bit different, but before the season started, may people thought that LeClerc was in that elite category. So play he next in line game and eventually, you'll be rewarded, IMO. If you can get a Chapman, Jamsen, or the like, I'd maybe do so, but as much as I like Doolittle, he can be pretty fragile.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

owners that have closers they can move tend to overvalue them and owners that need closers tend to undervalue. I suspect it has to do with turnover as well as its the easiest category to make an impact move, roto points-wise.

I would move Santana for Doolittle if you have pop to spare. you got the bulk of Santanas sweet stats. Doolittle is the type of closer you want. Rock solid in security.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

The problem with saves is that they’re a finite commodity. On average, only 40 will be had per MLB team, and if you don’t have one or two of those guys getting the majority of those, then you’re not moving up the saves board.

For those who have closers, if they trade one they may not get those saves back, and for those without, they tend to believe that they could be found on waivers or be had for cheap.

Everyone wants a Kenley or chapman, but once you have them, why deal those guys? So of course it’s the Doolittles of the world becoming available and not the Kenleys.

At the end of the day, you just need a guy getting saves. What are the odds Doolittle doesn’t? He has some injury risk, but that seems to have receded in recent years. Replacement risk? Unless they sign Kinbrel, I doubt there’s any risk there.

Domingo is playing over his head and now’s a good time to sell high. If you need saves, and there’s no one else available, I’d do it.

Comment

yes, this totally goes by each league's SV category.

some leagues may have 3 double-closer owners, with an easy path to 4th. others may have SV be much more evenly dispersed.

Doolittle is fragile, but what do 15 more SV do for you? might be useless to one owner, but worth 6-8 points to another.

(Signed, a schlub who only has 2 SV in 2019)
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I generally find saves fairly easy during the season. Like JJ, i rarely pay a lot for them up front, and it generally works out for me. That said, I'd trade Santana for Doolittle, if you needs the saves, mostly because I think Doolittle keeps his job as long as he is healthy (big if), and I think Santana is worse than the player he has shown so far.

Comment

Sure, try to find a better closer but I think that's a fair deal. Btw, Domingo already has NINE errors!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                yes, this totally goes by each league's SV category.

some leagues may have 3 double-closer owners, with an easy path to 4th. others may have SV be much more evenly dispersed.

Doolittle is fragile, but what do 15 more SV do for you? might be useless to one owner, but worth 6-8 points to another.

(Signed, a schlub who only has 2 SV in 2019)
                Alas, "most" leagues are mixed, and probably far more shallow than the ones that most of us play here. In only-leagues, one closer is a bigger deal than in a mixed league---as your comment shows--in a mixed league, even a deep one, most teams have two closers. Given that the trade offer shows that it is a mixed league, I would think the value of Doolittle is a little less than in an only-league. That being said, I think it is a fair deal and depends on the rosters of the teams involved. Santana could be great, but he won't stay this great. Not a particularly safe investment. Almost no closers are safe investments, either, outside of a rare few. Seems fair to me.

Comment

Yes its 14 team mixed. Sorry I forgot to include that.

Thanks for the input guys
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think it’s nearly impossible (in our league) to get value for a closer. I would be reluctant to trade Domingo Santana for a perennially injured Doolittle.

Comment

i wish i had read this earlier after i offered Hand and Yates for Merrifield in a very active public yahoo league and the owner accepted. and he needed closers. i consider those 2 closers safe, which is why i drafted them. its also not hard to find closers. but good ones that not only hold their jobs, stay healthy and rarely hurt your ratios are rare. still i needed a 1B and steals, and i drafted extra closers to make a trade trades like this.

Yates will be traded before the yahoo playoffs start. but still. it's generous, but it's a fair trade.

ps. Doolittle is an injury machine. the guy will be on the DL more often than not.

Comment

Don’t feel bad. Merrifield is a tremendous get.

Comment

Working...
                        X