Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Reyes Challenged The Wall

From RW.

Alex Reyes fractured his left pinky after he punched a wall following his start on Thursday for Triple-A Memphis.
    Oh, dear. Reyes struggled on Thursday, allowing three runs and three walks over 2 2/3 innings against Triple-A Omaha. He's reportedly headed to Jupiter, and he'll pitch behind a screen for roughly three weeks. The good news -- if you want to call it that -- is that it's his non-throwing hand. Reyes, 24, has some of the best stuff of any pitcher in the minors, but he's really struggled with command, and he's made some silly decisions off the mound, too. This would qualify as the latter, for sure. At this point, it's very much up in the air if/when he'll rejoin the Cardinals.

Smart of him to use his non throwing hand

Comment

Jesus, I've been carrying this clown on my roster for what seems like forever, and finally last year, he hit exactly 50 innings pitched in the majors, so I had to promote him and make him a keeper. Between him and Carlos Martinez, I don't know who's more frustrating to own...

I do know that as soon as I drop him, he'll discover the fount of pitching knowledge and turn into a perennial 20 game winner.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Smart of him to use his non throwing hand
        Ha, that is a very generous take on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Jesus, I've been carrying this clown on my roster for what seems like forever, and finally last year, he hit exactly 50 innings pitched in the majors, so I had to promote him and make him a keeper. Between him and Carlos Martinez, I don't know who's more frustrating to own...

I do know that as soon as I drop him, he'll discover the fount of pitching knowledge and turn into a perennial 20 game winner.
          Weird, you should not have needed to promote him, he is still rookie eligible. The rule is GREATER than 50 IP to lose mlb rookie eligibility

Comment

Determining rookie status:
            A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Weird, you should not have needed to promote him, he is still rookie eligible. The rule is GREATER than 50 IP to lose mlb rookie eligibility
              It also depends on your leagues rules. In our league just to simplify the rule not including the 45 days on active roster is greater than 130 AB or 50 IP. Reyes pitched 50 IP going into this season but because he pitched another 3 the owner had to either activate him or lose him. Basically the owner still had him on his farm to start the season but now is on his reserves with a yr one on his contract.

Comment

yes, I believe almost all leagues ignore the 45 days.

as for Reyes, he was in our auction in 2017 because he was on the MLB DL to open the season (all such players are part of the auction-available crop). he went for 4 even with knowledge he was out for the season. he was kept last year at 4-S1 and this year at 4-O.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

My story is even more of a sob story. Our league's rules use 10 games for pitchers as forced activation from minors at the beginning of the following season.

So, the year of his TJ he pitched 12 games (only 46 IP) and I had to protect him (or lose him) the next year. The following year he sits out and the next year pitches 4 games and looks like a world beater before going down again. This year I decided to keep him at 5C and not extend and he's been a total waste and now this crap.

So for 3 years I've protected him at $5 and he's been essentially useless. Being a sucker for punishment, I'll likely end up buying him again next year and start another 3 year cycle of frustration.

What's most frustrating about all this is if he had pitched 9 games instead of 12 that first year I could have had him sitting in my minors even now.

Comment

I agree, but the way it was written into the constitution said 50 even...it's not correct, but there you go.

I'll try again to plead my case...wanna be my lawyer? Pays not great, but the publicity is HUGE!
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

that IS an interesting case.
                      depends in part on the intent of your Framers, which almost certainly would be to mirror MLB. so if the Constitution says, "once he reaches 50 IP, as per the MLB rule," then you have a contradiction.

too late now, I suppose, but given the intent I would send it to a league vote - and my owners would go "common sense" there.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

First off, the rule in RJEL has always been once the pitcher reaches 50 IP.

Secondly, Alex Reyes has 53 career IP so no idea what the fuss is all about anyway.

Comment

1. it seems bizarre that either RJEL focked up the limit many years ago and never fixed it, or you guys independently came up with a limit of 150 outs (50 IP) while coincidentally MLB's limit is 151 (more than 50 IP).

2. Reyes entered the season with exactly 50 IP, then added 3 this season.

to quote the post, "I've been carrying this clown on my roster for what seems like forever, and finally last year, he hit exactly 50 innings pitched in the majors, so I had to promote him and make him a keeper."

in the leagues that use the MLB limit (pretty much every league), there was no need to promote him.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            First off, the rule in RJEL has always been once the pitcher reaches 50 IP.

Secondly, Alex Reyes has 53 career IP so no idea what the fuss is all about anyway.
                            He had 50.0 coming into the year, he was very much an edge case as he was 1 out away from losing eligibility but he was still rookie eligible coming into 2019. That's what the fuss was all about.

Comment

What I'm saying is that the rule has been, for at least as long as I've been commish (which has been a few years), 50 innings on the nose. Not 50+ innings. So all was "on point" in the RJEL world with Reyes no longer having ML eligibility.

Additionally, I found an email that Horns initiated last June among the RJEL commish crew that examined this very thing about Reyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X