2K19: Yandy Diaz 3B TB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K19: Yandy Diaz 3B TB

We all know the story by now. Diaz never hit HR in the minors, with only 24 HR at AA/AAA in 1909 PA. Despite an advanced plate approach leading to high BA and high OBP, his age 25 and age 26 MLB exposure of 299 PA yielded much the same, a high BA, high BB rate, but 1 HR. Not much love in fantasy for a guy with no HR or SB.

This offseason, we were enticed by pictures of a mammoth bicep gym photo that made us question his lack of power. Then we read articles about launch angle possibly unlocking that HR power. I figured he could improve to a 15+ HR guy, but his pace has been incredible. Through 105 PA, .279/.381/.570 with 7 HR, and pristine 19 K, 16 BB. Roughly 40+ HR pace.

He also has 1B/3B already, an added bonus.

Anybody else thinking he looks legit? He turns 28 in August, so maybe another Pham style breakout with more HR, less SB?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Man, I hope so. I traded for him recently, and I like what I see. I think it is realistic to temper power expectations a bit. Hard to imagine a guy changing his launch angle dramatically enough for him to go from a complete ground pounder to a 40 homer guy, and the few things I've read indicated that while he has raised his launch angle so far, it is still below average for a power hitter. Anyone have up-to-date data on that? to me, that stat is key for Yandy.

But if he ends up a .280 hitter with a good walk rate and close to 30 homers, I'll be a happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Man, I hope so. I traded for him recently, and I like what I see. I think it is realistic to temper power expectations a bit. Hard to imagine a guy changing his launch angle dramatically enough for him to go from a complete ground pounder to a 40 homer guy, and the few things I've read indicated that while he has raised his launch angle so far, it is still below average for a power hitter. Anyone have up-to-date data on that? to me, that stat is key for Yandy.

But if he ends up a .280 hitter with a good walk rate and close to 30 homers, I'll be a happy camper.
      He still has the 11th lowest Launch Angle of all qualified hitters so far this year. In fact, it's even lower than last season. As a Diaz owner, this is concerning because he is enjoying a breakout year and I thought his LA had improved, and that is not the case at all.

Comment

Seems like a good sell high candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          He still has the 11th lowest Launch Angle of all qualified hitters so far this year. In fact, it's even lower than last season. As a Diaz owner, this is concerning because he is enjoying a breakout year and I thought his LA had improved, and that is not the case at all.
          not enough of THIS anymore. this information is what made rotojunkie so useful in the old days.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Revo, where can I find launch angle info for players? I'd love to be able to sort leaders for launch angle on a list that lets you see a player is 8th best or 11th lowest.

ETA: I think I found it: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard

Diaz indeed still sucks at this stat. But I noticed some players having a negative LA. How is that possible? And I was suprised to see Tampa teammate Tommy Pham also has a 2.4 LA. Weird.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-28-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

and yet he has 7 homers this year, despite the lack of flyballs. This is trending like Yelich year, who had a 1.9 degree launch angle this time last year.

This time last year, Yelich on LD & FB:

22 degree launch angle, 97.9 mph avg exit velo

This year, Yandy on LD & FB:

24 degree launch angle, 97.2 mph avg exit velo

Change takes time, and Diaz is crushing certain types of pitches around all the balls he pounds into the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                and yet he has 7 homers this year, despite the lack of flyballs. This is trending like Yelich year, who had a 1.9 degree launch angle this time last year.

This time last year, Yelich on LD & FB:

22 degree launch angle, 97.9 mph avg exit velo

This year, Yandy on LD & FB:

24 degree launch angle, 97.2 mph avg exit velo

Change takes time, and Diaz is crushing certain types of pitches around all the balls he pounds into the ground
                Illuminating. Maybe LA is overrated as an overall average? I was surprised to see Tommy Pham is also at the bottom of the list for LA so far this year. I guess it is more about being able to lift the right pitch at the right time?

Comment

Launch angle by itself is not good to use. Launch angle + exit velo is a step up, but seeing what they do in those areas on balls they elevate is always fun. Yelich was still hitting a lot of groundballs last year, but when he got his pitches, he killed them. Diaz has homered to all parts of the field this year and they're not cheapies. He's taken two homers right down the RF line while waiting on pitches, hit 3 to dead center, and two more pull shots.

Comment

Yandy starts today's game with a double in the 1st, then a 2 run triple in the 2nd. Great shot at a cycle.

I forgot to mention another bonus with Diaz, prime batting order slotting. Leadoff: 7, 2nd: 1, 3rd: 3, 4th: 7, and 5th: 6.

If he continues to hit in the 1-5 range in the Ray's lineup, his production should stay high even if the HR pace tapers off a bit.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                    X