Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traded Wander Franco, feeling a sense of loss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traded Wander Franco, feeling a sense of loss...

I traded away Wander Franco in my 12 team AL Only, and I think I need to talk to someone about it. Please chime in with how dumb you think I am! (but only in this thread, haha)

I mostly dealt Franco as a way of avoiding dealing my MLB-ready farm guys (Chavis, N. Lowe, Y. Alvarez).

C - Jansen $5
    C - Severino $1
    1B - Voit $3
    2B - Villar $31
    SS - Mondesi $20
    3B - Diaz $8
    OF1 - Brantley $19
    OF2 - M. Smith $16
    OF3 - Grichuk $30
    OF4 - T. Hernandez $13
    OF5 - Dustin Fowler $4 ---------> JD Martinez $53
    CI - Vogelbach $4
    MI - Fletcher $7
    DH - Moreland $8

Bench - Healy $11

SP1 - Snell $16
    SP2 - Clevenger $11
    SP3 - Berrios $10
    SP4 - Aaron Sanchez $6
    P5 - LeClerc $3
    P6 - Workman $4
    P7 - Biagini $3
    P8 - Hudson $1
    P9 - Wittgren $1 -----------------> D. Price $17

Bench - 4 more crappy MR's.

As you can see, my pitching is much weaker than my offense. I have a defecit in W & K, and I'm stuck streaming MR's hoping for holds, (SV+HLD format)... but only 2 decent SP's, and a bunch of flotsam.

Trade option #1:

Berrios $10 + W. Franco FOR $53 Stanton + $29 E. Rodriguez + $26 Pham (extendable) + $4 Herrera + $5 Givens

Trade option #2:

W. Franco FOR $53 JD Martinez + $17X D. Price.

Did I make the wrong call? I really wanted Pham, especially for his keeper value, but with my 3 SB studs, Pham's value to me replacing Teoscar Hernandez seems minor. The Berrios loss would have also been a lateral pitching move. I also saved $45 in cap space with the smaller trade. Would you have hung onto Franco no matter what for the time being? Should I have dealt from my 1B glut instead?

Just wanted to share my stressful 2 days for a data point on Franco's trade value at this point in time.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Trading a stud prospect is always tough, but flags fly forever, as they say, and despite not performing up to expectations so far, you got one of the truly elite bats in baseball in JD for him. And you got Price too. It is a fine haul for Franco. I don't think you have anything to regret....well, that is until if/when you fall short of the money. Such a move stings if you fall short. But if you see that coming, you could always flip these two guys for a different stud prospect late in the season, so, again, I don't see anything to regret about this deal.

Comment

I just figured out an incredible coping mechanism. I'm trying to substitute Wander Franco's name with "not Vlad Jr." in my mind and I think it helps. Thinking of him as merely another mortal, non-Vlad... somehow it helps.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Also I think Yordan Alvarez will be a beast. Personally prefer to have kept him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          Also I think Yordan Alvarez will be a beast. Personally prefer to have kept him.
          Yeah, I wasn't getting JD Martinez type of piece without offering Franco, and I agree that if I had to choose which premium piece to deal, I prefer Franco over Alvarez. Can't ignore the value of holding a possible 2nd half stud on your farm. I love having those guys, as they can come up hot and become big trade chips on small sample size, unless you aren't pressed to deal them. I usually deal them, hoping Alvarez bucks the trend for me.

I'm such a stoner, I'll vaguely remember owning Franco by the time the Ray's promote him in 2022 (I hope I'm wrong, but its TB). Oh, and I still own Franco on my RJEL rebuild team, which is a nice bonus. Damn, I forgot about that, that's great!

Sometimes you trade away a Franco, sometimes you forget about your other Franco! I call him Franco-Franco in my head, I hope it catches. Too many Franco's now. Which Franco are we talking about? Dude, FRANCO-Franco. Right?

Comment

For what it's worth, I think you picked the right trade and it's not even because I'm the one that got Franco . You still have a bunch of flexibility to shore up other deficiencies should they arise.

Comment

You obviously took the right trade---with your pitching, doing option one and giving up Berrios is silly (E-Rod + Herrera + Givens is way less than Berrios). I'd say it is a shame you couldn't find more pitching, but in the AL, is there any good pitching? Or anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                You obviously took the right trade---with your pitching, doing option one and giving up Berrios is silly (E-Rod + Herrera + Givens is way less than Berrios). I'd say it is a shame you couldn't find more pitching, but in the AL, is there any good pitching? Or anywhere?
                As the person with the rejected deal, I never asked for Berrios, he was offered to me in the proposed trade. I would have been a fool to say no, but I also was perfectly willing to do a deal for Franco without him. I still think that getting a keepable Pham in the deal made my offer a lot better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I think that before the season is done, Price and E-Rod will have similar numbers...but that's just the jilted party speaking.

So at the end of the day, getting two keepable players that will help win this season, and in future seasons, was a pretty fair deal, but it was not to be...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  As the person with the rejected deal, I never asked for Berrios, he was offered to me in the proposed trade. I would have been a fool to say no, but I also was perfectly willing to do a deal for Franco without him. I still think that getting a keepable Pham in the deal made my offer a lot better, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I think that before the season is done, Price and E-Rod will have similar numbers...but that's just the jilted party speaking.

So at the end of the day, getting two keepable players that will help win this season, and in future seasons, was a pretty fair deal, but it was not to be...
                  I am not saying that your offer was horrible. Pham is great. I was just noting that Pham wasn't really what he needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X