Notre Dame cathedral burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I've heard that you can find intruders in your house in the middle of night. Better retreat to a closet and hole up there until you receive further word.
    I watched a documentary on securing your house the other day - it was called "Home Alone". So I think I 'm ready
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I'm considering never leaving my house at all. It's a dangerous world out there.
      This.
      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        I don't know.

I honestly don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on the fire chaplain taking a measured risk to save it. It's unclear how much risk he put himself in. Had he actually died, that would obviously have been tragic.

One could ask the same question, I suppose, about the firefighters trying to save Notre Dame itself. Once all the people were safe, maybe just safer to let it burn to the ground?
        True. Actually all buildings. Confirm no people in danger then just let them burn. Why risk a life?

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I watched a documentary on securing your house the other day - it was called "Home Alone". So I think I 'm ready
          This is brilliant and I sincerely thank you for posting it.

Awesomely played.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            1) Priceless "artifact" or not, isn't his life more important? Why risk his life for an inanimate object?
            In a vacuum yes his life his more important than the artifact.

In the much broader Christian sense the answer could be different. First if we are to believe Jesus, he did not risk his "life" for the artifact. He risked his time on earth. If he was killed he would be with Jesus in Heaven.

He may have needed to prove to himself that he trusts the Lord with everything.

He may have been prompted by the Lord to save the artifact for some larger cause (people all over the world are talking about it). Something that even he is not aware of.

As I write this I guess that this could also be a possible answer for your question #2.

Question #3 is a bit harder for me to associate with. The Catholic Religion is big on artifacts. They are important to them. A man risking his life for something deemed important or significant certainly could prompt people to say God bless him.

If someone does something nice for me I might say thank you and God bless.

Jesus believed that He died to save everyone. Is everyone worth saving? If there is not God aren't we just the same as artifacts? Just cosmic mistakes with no more value than some old paper or some old thorns. He did not believe that and I believe Him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Just cosmic mistakes with no more value than some old paper or some old thorns.
              Dammit, Gregg....I was trying to quit this shtick, but Cosmic Mistake would be a great name for a band.

Comment

In a vacuum yes his life his more important than the artifact.

In the much broader Christian sense the answer could be different. First if we are to believe Jesus, he did not risk his "life" for the artifact. He risked his time on earth. If he was killed he would be with Jesus in Heaven.
                But, if Jesus wanted him in Heaven, couldn't Jesus have just given him a heart attack?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                  But, if Jesus wanted him in Heaven, couldn't Jesus have just given him a heart attack?
                  umm...he didn't die.

Comment

Wanted in Heaven would make a mediocre name for a band.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

umm...he didn't die.
                      I get that. You said "If he was killed he would be with Jesus in Heaven".....my point was simply IF Jesus wanted him, he could take him WITHOUT resorting to testing him or burning the hell out of him. (see what I did there?)

Comment

For the first time since a fire that nearly destroyed it, the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris played host to a Christmas Eve choral concert, an annual tradition in France. The singers and musicians wore construction hard hats and boiler suits, and there was no audience.

disclaimer:The concert was recorded at the cathedral earlier this month, and was broadcast on French television just before midnight on Thursday.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X