Notre Dame cathedral burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    1) Priceless "artifact" or not, isn't his life more important? Why risk his life for an inanimate object?
    I'm not so sure it is quite that binary. Do we know that he "risked his life"? Was there an active fire in the part of the building that he was going into? Or was he just removing them before the fire got there.

But either way, I think it's an oversimplification to just put things side by side and suggest he was "risking his life". Everyone "risks their lives" daily driving to work, to some level. We all accept that risk, and to be fair the risk levels are quite small. But we balance what we get for the risk against what we risk to get it. This situation is not necessarily different.

If the Louvre was burning and someone had taken a risk to save some art, I think we'd be seeing a similar reaction. And I think it's a fair one.

2) One line in the story is "God chose this Chaplain". Oh, really? Was the fire a test for this Chaplain?
    Oh, there's a whole rabbit hole we could go down into with free will and determinism. Probably deserves it's own thread if you truly want to get into it deeply. But as an atheist I'm not sure it's very relevant for you! If there is no God then it doesn't matter how much free will said God provided.

3) Catholic Arena said "God bless him".........why?......can someone explain that to me AT ALL?
    I wouldn't read into that too much, people say God Bless You when I sneeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I'm not so sure it is quite that binary. Do we know that he "risked his life"? .
      Some want to make him a saint....so I just assumed. That's on me.
      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

The French are an emotional people.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Regardless of that question is there no inanimate object you are willing to "risk your life" on to some extent? If you saw a flame in your garage and you had your keys in your hand would you run into the garage and pull your car out of the garage so it's not damaged? Would you do it if there's a .01% chance that you die trying? What about .0001%? .000001%? It's always a balance. I'm sure there's some risk level at which you would accept the risk for the reward.

Clearly the "inanimate objects" were important to this guy and he took a risk to perserve them. How big of a risk? I don't think we'll ever know. But it seems disingenuous to suggest we all wouldn't do the same (at some level of risk, be it small, or tiny), to save something we care about.

Comment

Regardless of that question is there no inanimate object you are willing to "risk your life" on to some extent? If you saw a flame in your garage and you had your keys in your hand would you run into the garage and pull your car out of the garage so it's not damaged? Would you do it if there's a .01% chance that you die trying? What about .0001%? .000001%? It's always a balance. I'm sure there's some risk level at which you would accept the risk for the reward.

Clearly the "inanimate objects" were important to this guy and he took a risk to perserve them. How big of a risk? I don't think we'll ever know. But it seems disingenuous to suggest we all wouldn't do the same (at some level of risk, be it small, or tiny), to save something we care about.
            Fair enough. Again, this is on me.....I just assumed that he ran into the burning building to save the artifact, risking his life. And...yes...the fact that in this case, the fact that he rescued a religious artifact that I didn't even know existed until this event probably coloured my view of the entire situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              The French are an emotional people.
              I love their fries, though.

Comment

Fair enough. Again, this is on me.....I just assumed that he ran into the burning building to save the artifact, risking his life. And...yes...the fact that in this case, the fact that he rescued a religious artifact that I didn't even know existed until this event probably coloured my view of the entire situation.
                If the National Archives were burning, and someone ran in and saved the Declaration of Independence, I bet they would be hailed as a hero here in the United States.

Neither the Crown of Thorns relic nor the Declaration of Independence manuscript have much practical utility, but they have a lot of sentimental/symbolic value to certain groups of people.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I love their fries, though.
                  Now there is a worthy thread topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    If the National Archives were burning, and someone ran in and saved the Declaration of Independence, I bet they would be hailed as a hero here in the United States.

Neither the Crown of Thorns relic nor the Declaration of Independence manuscript have much practical utility, but they have a lot of sentimental/symbolic value to certain groups of people.
                    While true, I thought that people were supposed to be more important than things. I guess my biggest question is how much did he really risk his life for an inanimate object.

Comment

he was the Chaplin of the fire department after all, not like some random priest, he was probably suited up and trained for just this kind of thing.....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

While true, I thought that people were supposed to be more important than things. I guess my biggest question is how much did he really risk his life for an inanimate object.
                        I certainly wouldn't run into a fire to save an artifact.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

geesh

NYPD NEWS
                          ‏Verified account @NYPDnews
                          21m21 minutes ago

Around 7:55pm, a man walked into St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Manhattan with gas cans and lighter fluid, and was subsequently apprehended by @NYPDCT without incident. We thank our partners for their help, and remember - if you see something, say something. – at St. Patrick's Cathedral
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I can't think of anything material that I'd take a significant risk to save, but that's primarily because the items I own are replaceable and have little value and in most cases insured. When we start talking about items from hundreds of years ago, or irreplaceable works of art, I definitely understand someone taking a risk for them.

I'm not sure why that's such a hard concept for some to understand. I suspect at the root of it, it is more about the anti-religion bias than it is about saving something that you care about.

Comment

I can't think of anything material that I'd take a significant risk to save, but that's primarily because the items I own are replaceable and have little value and in most cases insured. When we start talking about items from hundreds of years ago, or irreplaceable works of art, I definitely understand someone taking a risk for them.

I'm not sure why that's such a hard concept for some to understand. I suspect at the root of it, it is more about the anti-religion bias than it is about saving something that you care about.
                              I think it's more about staying alive and not dying, than saving something that you care about. At least that's my stance on the discussion.

Obviously there are people who would risk their lives to save the Mona Lisa, etc... not me baby.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                I think it's more about staying alive and not dying, than saving something that you care about. At least that's my stance on the discussion.

Obviously there are people who would risk their lives to save the Mona Lisa, etc... not me baby.
                                Aren't librarians supposed to be super passionate about books? You wouldn't run in to save some old manuscript or something?

Comment

Working...
                                X