Notre Dame cathedral burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame cathedral burning

The massive fire that ripped through Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral, collapsing the roof and spire, was likely caused accidentally, prosecutors say.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

That really sucks. Hope that anyone inside escaped unharmed.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

This is so sad....I'm so glad that I took my wife there last Sept.

She would have been crushed if she never got to see that.

Comment

I have to assume they'll restore/re-create the cathedral to the best of their ability, but still an incredible cultural loss.

Comment

It's fortunate that we live in a time when so much is captured in so many formats (photos & other digital representations), but it's still tragic when incredible works of art, that lasted through centuries, are destroyed in one day ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I have to assume they'll restore/re-create the cathedral to the best of their ability, but still an incredible cultural loss.
            As the old-timers like to say, "They don't build them like they used to." I would think that they have to use steel framing to rebuild a structure of that size today. According to the article below, they originally used oak trees between 300-400 years old to build the cathedral with each individual beam being made from a single tree.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/no...rnd/index.html

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              It's fortunate that we live in a time when so much is captured in so many formats (photos & other digital representations), but it's still tragic when incredible works of art, that lasted through centuries, are destroyed in one day ...

I don't know much about stained glass windows. But, can't those windows be re-created?

― Albert Einstein

Comment

there are conflicting reports on what was and wasn't lost.

it's a terrible day, but keep the faith
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  I don't know much about stained glass windows. But, can't those windows be re-created?
                  technically pretty much anything can be recreated; but there's something intrinsically special about original pieces like these - esp. given that they were made with 13th century tools.

edit: however - apparently these were not damaged! with all that falling debris (and in this case debris means 12x12 beams on fire), that's pretty amazing
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

like I said.....
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

A lot of damage but much of the structure is still there. The roof and spire were destroyed but beyond that it wasnt as bad as it first appeared it would be.
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4118956.html

This raises SO many questions for me.

But, being a good little atheist, I won't ask them just yet.
                        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                          https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a4118956.html

This raises SO many questions for me.

But, being a good little atheist, I won't ask them just yet.
                          Maybe, I won't ask them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                            Maybe, I won't ask them at all.
                            seems like a steve 1.0 move.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              seems like a steve 1.0 move.
                              1) Priceless "artifact" or not, isn't his life more important? Why risk his life for an inanimate object?
                              2) One line in the story is "God chose this Chaplain". Oh, really? Was the fire a test for this Chaplain?
                              3) Catholic Arena said "God bless him".........why?......can someone explain that to me AT ALL?

I guess I'll start with these 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X