Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be bold enough to start Vince Velasquez in Coors this week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone be bold enough to start Vince Velasquez in Coors this week?

NL only, 5x5, 12 teams, 13 hitters, 10 pitchers, 2 super utility slots, and 15 reserves. My pitching staff is

D.Holland
    C.Smith
    V.Velasquez
    M.Fried
    D.Pomeranz
    T.Mahle
    T.Toussaint

D.Robertson
    A.Miller
    D.Leone
    K.Barraclough
    T.Kinley

Reserves are G.Richards, T.Walker, J.Cueto and H.Greene.

Note that I’m focused on building a team that can compete in 2020, as opposed to 2019...but the first three weeks have given me a sense that anything is possible. The team is in 7th overall with one additional hitter due back soon (Gregory Polanco) and one late in the year (Cespedes) to provide some hitting upside (led by cheap youngsters Ronald Acuna, Pete Alonso, and Victor Robles).

The pitching staff is first in ERA (2.71) and third in WHIP (1.16), but last in wins (5) and eighth in strikeouts (132). I’m going with 11 pitchers this week, so starting Velasquez would come at the expense of one of the other pitchers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

The Rockies offense is putrid right now. If I'm reading this right, assuming you're sitting one of Kinley/Leone/Bearclaw, then you're starting VV or another one of those guys? Might as well roll the dice on VV.

Comment

It seems whenever I sit one of my starters they pitch lights out (I don't do it often). I am pretty much of the philosophy that if you are good enough to be on my team you are good enough to start.

This is not advice, if it was my team I would start him.

I hope you make the right choice.

Comment

:raiseshand:

mind you, I will probably change my mind back & forth several times before I have to set my roster ... but I still think I will ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          It seems whenever I sit one of my starters they pitch lights out (I don't do it often). I am pretty much of the philosophy that if you are good enough to be on my team you are good enough to start.

This is not advice, if it was my team I would start him.

I hope you make the right choice.
          Nothing to do with Velasquez, but I agree with this general philosophy. Any time I try to get cute playing matchups I get burned. I prefer to start everybody I own or drop them and move on.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Thanks for the advice!!! I went with Velasquez and sat Barraclough. Fortune favors the bold, and anything I do this year is really a bonus anyway. My initial goal was to build a team that could avoid the auction budget penalty (you lose $1 of the next season’s auction budget for each point you finish below 45). But, with the team starting better than expected and at least one reinforcement on the way, I figure I should field the best possible lineup and see what can happen.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

not starting Velazquez. The downside far exceeds the upside.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Yeah, is bold the right word?

Comment

I don't have him in any leagues but if I did...he'd be on the bench in Coors.

Comment

Not too bad. Better than I expected when I put him in this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Not too bad. Better than I expected when I put him in this week.
                      No one, and I mean NO ONE can predict the outcomes of any player on any given day. It's a crapshoot
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I tend to start my pitchers at Coors. It's too much thinking to do otherwise. If I owned Velasquez I would have started him based on he has been pitching well up to last night start. The bigger picture with him is can he stay healthy and get his stamina up to get to the 7th inning.

Comment

It turned out fine, though I was disappointed he ran into trouble in the sixth and couldn’t wiggle out of it to get the win. Still, the outing was solid and the strikeouts helped my team.

Now, do I go double or nothing with him against a much improved Mets lineup, next week? I think I’m just going to stick with him and all my SPs, unless one of them proves they can no longer be counted upon.
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Just picked him up! Lookout VV owners...
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I would only start an ACE at coors.

Comment

Working...
                              X