Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever veto in the MTARBL!

I know, I know. Hear me out.

12 team AL only 5x5. We have 3 new owners this year. 2 were recruited the week of the auction.

Keepers are for 2020 only. They need 1 AB and must end the year on an AL roster.

A team that's been in the league a few years trades Gregorius 13 Castro 1 and Borucki 1 for Kluber 39 and JSanchez 1 to one of the new guys.

The league is up in arms that a team is dumping April 11 (5 days after the auction) and only got a mid-level keeper for a full season of Kluber.

A co-commish talked to the new guy who wanted his team to be competitive in 2020. He didn't know all the keeper requirements and doesn't have a grasp on player values.

We don't want to set a precedent of taking advantage of new teams. 2 months of Kluber for free could win a team a title and even when healthy Kluber is worth more than Didi.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

I could swear I would never support a veto but......

with two new owners who maybe don't 'get it,' maybe have them notify the entire league that they want to sell a player to the highest bidder.

we haven't had a new owner in 16 years, luckily. if this happened, we would allow the trade - but the veteran owner would not exactly be getting a warm welcome in any future deals, including oh, too bad you're in a tight race for the pennant and you made a very similar offer to the other rival.

well, I could do just as well with either deal. so what is an owner to do?

#karmabitch
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Not following this. Where's the collusion?

Comment

I don't have a problem with competitive balance vetoes with someone that new to the league. I know this is going to turn into yet another veto discussion thread, but I liked something I saw on FG a while back but can't remember exactly where - when a trade is announced, there are three days for other teams to make counteroffers. I'm sure he'd get a better offer than Didi if that happened.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Not following this. Where's the collusion?
          There is no collusion. There is an experienced owner taking advantage of a new owner. We don't want our league to run like that.

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          I don't have a problem with competitive balance vetoes with someone that new to the league. I know this is going to turn into yet another veto discussion thread, but I liked something I saw on FG a while back but can't remember exactly where - when a trade is announced, there are three days for other teams to make counteroffers. I'm sure he'd get a better offer than Didi if that happened.
          One owner was going to propose that players traded prior to July 1 are not eligible to be kept. I don't hate it but I also don't think we should mandate when keeper trades can happen. By mid-May sometimes you know if your team is terrible or not.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            12 team AL only 5x5. We have 3 new owners this year. 2 were recruited the week of the auction.

Keepers are for 2020 only. They need 1 AB and must end the year on an AL roster.

A team that's been in the league a few years trades Gregorius 13 Castro 1 and Borucki 1 for Kluber 39 and JSanchez 1 to one of the new guys.

The league is up in arms that a team is dumping April 11 (5 days after the auction) and only got a mid-level keeper for a full season of Kluber.

A co-commish talked to the new guy who wanted his team to be competitive in 2020. He didn't know all the keeper requirements and doesn't have a grasp on player values.

We don't want to set a precedent of taking advantage of new teams. 2 months of Kluber for free could win a team a title and even when healthy Kluber is worth more than Didi.
            I've dumped very early in the season after taking over a terrible team so I get that but the bigger problem I think is that somebody that doesn't have a grasp on player values is playing in a 12 team AL only. I understand about not wanting to take advantage of a new team but I think it is more an owner problem over a trade issue.

Comment

Here's the issue -- obviously the unscrupulous veteran owner had no problem whatsoever with taking advantage of the new meat. I'm sure many of the other vets would be just as "unscrupulous" if the new guy accepted their under-market offer. So it sounds like sour grapes more than anything else, at least from the non-commissioners.

The commissioners, if they want to keep the peace, should probably approach both owners and have them come to a better agreement for the sake of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                Our 30 plus AL only _ has a few rules on Trading. The Main 2 are
                Early DUMPS - We Prohibit Early Dumps - all trades in April and June have to be for this year starting in July you can dump.

24 hour trade rules - All Trades are on the board for 24 hours - to be counter.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                  Our 30 plus AL only _ has a few rules on Trading. The Main 2 are
                  Early DUMPS - We Prohibit Early Dumps - all trades in April and June have to be for this year starting in July you can dump.

24 hour trade rules - All Trades are on the board for 24 hours - to be counter.
                  I really hate the idea of completing a trade and then having to hold it for 24 hours for someone to make a better offer. Have you had this rule for a long time ? How often do trades get cancelled due to a better offer ?
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    I really hate the idea of completing a trade and then having to hold it for 24 hours for someone to make a better offer. Have you had this rule for a long time ? How often do trades get cancelled due to a better offer ?
                    For over 10 Years. We like it - our league has gone from a ALL local league to a league where half live out of town. Most have been in it 15 years or more.
                    It all came from some Bad drunk trades made from some local friends.

I say out of ten trades - 2 get overturned - 3 to 4 will have the same Traders but a slightly different deal . It has done what should be done . You Announce who you want to trade so most are in from the beginning. It has stop the trade where an owner tells you I never trading Ricky Henderson and he goes on a week long fishing trip with his friend and come back with a bad trade from the lakes.

3 stipulations have to happen to make an overturned trade:

1. 1 Player in the Original trade still has to be in the trade.

2. 1 Original owner has to be in Final trade AND ANNOUNCE THE NEW TRADE

3 A trade has to happen.

Comment

For over 10 Years. We like it - our league has gone from a ALL local league to a league where half live out of town. Most have been in it 15 years or more.
                      It all came from some Bad drunk trades made from some local friends.

I say out of ten trades - 2 get overturned - 3 to 4 will have the same Traders but a slightly different deal . It has done what should be done . You Announce who you want to trade so most are in from the beginning. It has stop the trade where an owner tells you I never trading Ricky Henderson and he goes on a week long fishing trip with his friend and come back with a bad trade from the lakes.

3 stipulations have to happen to make an overturned trade:

1. 1 Player in the Original trade still has to be in the trade.

2. 1 Original owner has to be in Final trade AND ANNOUNCE THE NEW TRADE

3 A trade has to happen.
                      if you can't make bad drunken trades, then I'm out, lol. The important thing is it works for your league. I would probably be frustrated by the rule if it was my league.
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

if you can't make bad drunken trades, then I'm out, lol. The important thing is it works for your league. I would probably be frustrated by the rule if it was my league.
                        Why you Plan on screwing someone over LOL.

Really it isn't bad. It forces you to do what ever owner should do - let everyone have a shot. It just stops the bad trades has very little effect on the Dump trades ( Most dump trades are about the young good contract player) and ends most arguments about trades. instead of veto's we can just say - If you think it is such a bad trade then top it. In the 10 years I think I have had 4 of my trades overturn and never have Topped anyone's.

Comment

Why you Plan on screwing someone over LOL.

no, certainly not. Not me, no.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

no, certainly not. Not me, no.
                            I disagree.

Comment

I disagree.
                              you are a disagreeable sort
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X