Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakouts that may be real

Big Leaguer

Breakouts that may be real

We're still in the "small sample size" part of the season, but I think it's interesting to look at some of the guys who are performing above expectations who might be setting a new standard rather than just setting themselves up for regression.

A couple who I've focused on:

Willson Contreras - ADP fell from 60 to 120 from the 2018 draft season to 2019. At minimum I think he can split the difference. The .276/.356/.499 line from 2017 with 21 HR in 377 AB indicates a high bar for the talent level. He's started off red hot and while he can't continue this pace I think he was selling too low in draft season..

Yoan Moncada - The .238 career BA probably scares off a lot of potential buyers, but his power/speed combo make up for it. With just 211 career games coming into the season I think he's still on his way up, and the hot start is encouraging.

Who else you got?

Austin Meadows
    Yandy Diaz
    Peter Alonso
    Tyler Glasnow

Trey Mancini

Efflin.

Luis Castillo
    Swanson
    Enrique Hernandez

any Reds pitcher, with their new pitching coach
    just kicked off my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    have stumbled out of the gate
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Roark 8, PLopez 1
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Dominguez 10, Neshek
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B Descalso, 13 Belt 10, 2B Barnes 8, SS BCrawford 9, 2S EGonzalez 2-DL
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, KMarte 10, Dyson 8, NWilliams 2, UT Daza (minors)
    DL: SP Cueto 1, 3B TFrazier 2, OF Dickerson 17

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    We're still in the "small sample size" part of the season, but I think it's interesting to look at some of the guys who are performing above expectations who might be setting a new standard rather than just setting themselves up for regression.

A couple who I've focused on:

Willson Contreras - ADP fell from 60 to 120 from the 2018 draft season to 2019. At minimum I think he can split the difference. The .276/.356/.499 line from 2017 with 21 HR in 377 AB indicates a high bar for the talent level. He's started off red hot and while he can't continue this pace I think he was selling too low in draft season..

Yoan Moncada - The .238 career BA probably scares off a lot of potential buyers, but his power/speed combo make up for it. With just 211 career games coming into the season I think he's still on his way up, and the hot start is encouraging.

Who else you got?
    I agree with both of these. Contreras said he took too much for granted last year and recommitted to come into the season to be the best he can be. That message was both a little discouraging but also very encouraging. He was kept this year or he would have been on my team.

The guys on the SCORE were talking about Moncada being healthier this year than last. The baseball analysts think he is for real and will have a great year...the one Sox fans were hoping for.

Nice to see a bunch of names I own in this thread. Excluding rookies:

Clint Frazier
    Danny Vogelbach
    Domingo Santana
    Trey Mancini
    Tim Anderson
    Chad Pinder

Matt Boyd
    Max Fried
    Zack Eflin
    Shane Bieber

Bouncebacks:
    Alex Gordon
    Jay Bruce
    Tim Beckham

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-12-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Big Leaguer
    Bieber is a good one, as is Boyd. If Yandy truly changed his approach looking for more loft he's perfect for this category.

I'm not buying into Clint Frazier, Zack Eflin or Jay Bruce yet, but I could be wrong.

Semien
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige