Breakouts that may be real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakouts that may be real

We're still in the "small sample size" part of the season, but I think it's interesting to look at some of the guys who are performing above expectations who might be setting a new standard rather than just setting themselves up for regression.

A couple who I've focused on:

Willson Contreras - ADP fell from 60 to 120 from the 2018 draft season to 2019. At minimum I think he can split the difference. The .276/.356/.499 line from 2017 with 21 HR in 377 AB indicates a high bar for the talent level. He's started off red hot and while he can't continue this pace I think he was selling too low in draft season..

Yoan Moncada - The .238 career BA probably scares off a lot of potential buyers, but his power/speed combo make up for it. With just 211 career games coming into the season I think he's still on his way up, and the hot start is encouraging.

Who else you got?

Austin Meadows
    Yandy Diaz
    Peter Alonso
    Tyler Glasnow

Comment

Trey Mancini

Comment

Efflin.

Comment

Luis Castillo
          Swanson
          Enrique Hernandez

Comment

any Reds pitcher, with their new pitching coach
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              We're still in the "small sample size" part of the season, but I think it's interesting to look at some of the guys who are performing above expectations who might be setting a new standard rather than just setting themselves up for regression.

A couple who I've focused on:

Willson Contreras - ADP fell from 60 to 120 from the 2018 draft season to 2019. At minimum I think he can split the difference. The .276/.356/.499 line from 2017 with 21 HR in 377 AB indicates a high bar for the talent level. He's started off red hot and while he can't continue this pace I think he was selling too low in draft season..

Yoan Moncada - The .238 career BA probably scares off a lot of potential buyers, but his power/speed combo make up for it. With just 211 career games coming into the season I think he's still on his way up, and the hot start is encouraging.

Who else you got?
              I agree with both of these. Contreras said he took too much for granted last year and recommitted to come into the season to be the best he can be. That message was both a little discouraging but also very encouraging. He was kept this year or he would have been on my team.

The guys on the SCORE were talking about Moncada being healthier this year than last. The baseball analysts think he is for real and will have a great year...the one Sox fans were hoping for.

Comment

Nice to see a bunch of names I own in this thread. Excluding rookies:

Clint Frazier
                Danny Vogelbach
                Domingo Santana
                Trey Mancini
                Tim Anderson
                Chad Pinder

Matt Boyd
                Max Fried
                Zack Eflin
                Shane Bieber

Bouncebacks:
                Alex Gordon
                Jay Bruce
                Tim Beckham

J
                Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-12-2019, 06:57 PM.
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Bieber is a good one, as is Boyd. If Yandy truly changed his approach looking for more loft he's perfect for this category.

I'm not buying into Clint Frazier, Zack Eflin or Jay Bruce yet, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Semien
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Semien
                      He had 27 hr & 75 rbi in 2016. So, i'm not surprised by the pop. But, i really doubt that the .300+ ba is sustainable for this .250 career hitter.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I grabbed Yandy Diaz because he had assured playing time at a position I needed covered. So far it has been great, though he's faded a bit lately.

In any event, FG did an article.
                        Yandy Diaz may be implementing a new approach in the early going, and the results are good.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Tim Anderson?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Tim Anderson?
                            He's been mentioned but his BABIP is .545. Also, 3 IFH already.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Tim Anderson?
                              You mean AL MVP Tim Anderson?

The one walk in 49 ABs scares me a bit, but why take pitches when you have a .545 BABIP?

Comment

Working...
                              X