Is this veto-able?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    What you left out was the league rule that designed to prevent exactly that sort of dump deal. I see you are still taking the dump over enforcing the rules. IIRC at least three people left the league over the issue.

J
    No, dealing for a player who had the potential to be the best in the league in a year or two was NOT the intent of the rule...it was a case where both parties would have been winners. But you and Randy voted veto because the deal didn't benefit you personally, not because it was a bad deal.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      No, dealing for a player who had the potential to be the best in the league in a year or two was NOT the intent of the rule...it was a case where both parties would have been winners. But you and Randy voted veto because the deal didn't benefit you personally, not because it was a bad deal.
      I never said it was the intent of the rule. I said the rule was to prevent dumps.

You could trade for anyone so long as you gave and received equivalent current year value. There was nothing like equivalent value for the remainder of that year, hence a rule violation. You were unethical and close to cheating and it broke up the league.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I never said it was the intent of the rule. I said the rule was to prevent dumps.

You could trade for anyone so long as you gave and received equivalent current year value. There was nothing like equivalent value for the remainder of that year, hence a rule violation. You were unethical and close to cheating and it broke up the league.

J
        Wasn't me that made the deal...and you and Randy killed the league with your veto. And that wasn't in the rules at all...equivalent value was in the eye of the traders.

The point is simple...there should never be a veto provision in a league IMO, unless there is CLEAR evidence of collusion.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

In all the years I have played I think there was only 1 trade vetoed. It occurred in 12TO 1st season. Since I was the Commish I mostly remember mostly trying to calm the stormy seas. It was not much fun. You have to be careful on vetoing trades and just can't do it because it doesn't benefit your team. It has to be collusion which is very hard to prove or you have a owner with no clue in the ocean with a shark circling him.

This trade doesn't show either and has been proven to be fairly close. It obviously is not Onejayhawk's opinion on this but he asked if the trade should be vetoed and was given several answers apparently not to his liking. Perhaps it just time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk
            Fine. The rule was clear and the violation was obvious. Your defense of breaking the rule was, and is, unethical.

J
            LOL...there was no violation and it most certainly was NOT unethical. Both sides in the deal would have received what they desired, and needed.

Vetos are a garbage way to run a league, and as was the case in the basketball league, a perfect way to drive it out of business.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I will grant I did not consider it at all close but also not abusive. That at least has been clarified. Regardless, the vote went against it.

I have been in leagues where trades were vetoed and both players were thought to be getting the shaft.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I'll bite: the vote went against what?
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  I'll bite: the vote went against what?
                  See OP.

Nick Senzel Cin - 3B NA + Carlos Correa Hou - SS

For

Yasiel Puig Cin - OF + Sean Newcomb Atl - SP

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

so the deal was approved, or was it vetoed?
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

After reading this thread I'm just glad I'm not in any league with 1J

Comment

Disapproved.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        After reading this thread I'm just glad I'm not in any league with 1J
                        I have seen worse. One league was so bad that there was a joke about a player not voting to overrule his own trade.

That was a long time ago. Does anyone remember Sandbox?

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

That's not a rebuttal. You asked me why I use that setting. That's why.

You keep saying, "that close together" when they are not very close together. It is exactly, "statistically significant" in the rigorous meaning of that phrase. In your terms, they are on different tiers.

J
                          I'm hoping to learns some maths this weekend. Can you provide some more details on your calculations for "statistically significant" ? Thanks
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yes .
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              Yes .
                              I disagree
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Trump.jpg

The Prez has spoken!
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X