Ozzie Albies contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Everything that I've read about the situation pretty much said that it was what Albies wanted to secure his future, so he took it to be assured there was no catastrophic injury. Most people in Latin countries live in such poverty, that a contract like this is something that can set a family up for generations, not just years. In the end, a pretty selfless act for Ozzie...
    Sure, which is why a contract LIKE this is a good idea. But not this contract. Any competent agent could have gotten him at least a few million more or one less year of team control without any additional delay. It would would have been a great, team friendly deal. I get not maximizing the return on the deal, because Albies just wanted to get it done, but there is no way the Braves would have balked at this same deal with another 5 million for Albies, or the same money and six years of control. Either option still would have been a good deal for the Braves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Sure, which is why a contract LIKE this is a good idea. But not this contract. Any competent agent could have gotten him at least a few million more or one less year of team control without any additional delay. It would would have been a great, team friendly deal. I get not maximizing the return on the deal, because Albies just wanted to get it done, but there is no way the Braves would have balked at this same deal with another 5 million for Albies, or the same money and six years of control. Either option still would have been a good deal for the Braves.
      exactly, I can understand wanting to lock in a long term contract with tens of millions of dollars, but it sure seems to be well below the value that he should have received. Add on 5 or 10 or 15 million and it still seems like a great deal for the Braves. That said, another 5 or 20 million dollars probably wouldn't make much difference in his or his families lives.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

couldn't he have gotten a multi-million dollar insurance policy instead of signing this deal.

as noted, guaranteeing yourself millions makes perfect sense. but I can't believe this was the only/best way to do it.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

apparently Albies' agent also has .... wait for it..... Craig Kimbrel as a client, and reportedly this agent was still asking for 5 years, $100M as of late March.

I would say that the odds that the agent needed a commission from Albies' contract to keep out of bankruptcy is north of zero.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            apparently Albies' agent also has .... wait for it..... Craig Kimbrel as a client, and reportedly this agent was still asking for 5 years, $100M as of late March.

I would say that the odds that the agent needed a commission from Albies' contract to keep out of bankruptcy is north of zero.
            North of 50% you mean?

Comment

Working...
            X