Ozzie Albies contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzie Albies contract

Ozzie Albies, one of the premiere exciting young star infield hitters has set himself up for life. Huzzah.

On a contract that is so team friendly, so under-market, there is grounds for firing agent, de-certifying deal, and calling it an error all around. At least per Fangraphs, this could be most team friendly contract in history eclipsing the famous Evan Longoria one that has been the standard.. It does seem odd that Scott Kingery for instance signed a bigger aav.

I thought the comparison to Brandon Lowe's contract was the most jarring.

Lowe signed a 6 year deal for $24mm, with club options for the the following two seasons totaling $25mm.

Albies signed to a 7 year deal through for $35mm, with club options for the following two seasons totaling $14mm.

Unless Albies falls on his face he just gave away those last two seasons at a ridiculously low price.

Comment

And Albies had a lot more service time than Lowe did. Which means he should have gotten more.

Nate Silver said it best on Twitter:

Albies's deal is so bad that if he insisted on taking it, I'd fire him as a client if I were his agent, because I don't think the commission would be worth the damage to my reputation.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it at all. It is the agent's fault, even if Albies wanted it, for not assuring him he could get him a better deal.

Comment

If it turns out agent pushed to accept this, agent should be toast. If owner wanted to sell their team for 1/8th the value, deal would be vetoed for good of league, right? Shouldnt there be a mechanism where the players union thumbs down this as being too ugly a deal for good not just of that 1 player but league?

Comment

I have to agree that his agent should have gotten him a better deal. A better deal for him might have been a 5 yr deal so when 27 the contract is finished and then he is still in line for that huge pay-out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I thought the comparison to Brandon Lowe's contract was the most jarring.

Lowe signed a 6 year deal for $24mm, with club options for the the following two seasons totaling $25mm.

Albies signed to a 7 year deal through for $35mm, with club options for the following two seasons totaling $14mm.

Unless Albies falls on his face he just gave away those last two seasons at a ridiculously low price.
              Actually, it's worse for Albies than this. It is actually 7 years, $31 million, with two option years of $7 million each--the $35 comes from the $4 million buy out for the first option year. He gave away the last four years. It is such a ridiculously team-friendly deal that I went and bought some Braves stock, lol. The agent is having the off-season/season from hell. He also represents Kimbrel.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                Actually, it's worse for Albies than this. It is actually 7 years, $31 million, with two option years of $7 million each--the $35 comes from the $4 million buy out for the first option year. He gave away the last four years. It is such a ridiculously team-friendly deal that I went and bought some Braves stock, lol. The agent is having the off-season/season from hell. He also represents Kimbrel.
                Worst.agent.ever. Maybe he owns Braves stock too. Maybe he will get Kimbrel to sign with them for some Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Worst.agent.ever. Maybe he owns Braves stock too. Maybe he will get Kimbrel to sign with them for some Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons.
                  I've heard people speculating that this friendly deal could be part of a two-part method of getting a good contract for Kimbrel with the Braves. Of course, that would be silly because Albies would then be able to sue his pants off.

Comment

This whole thing, including Acuna's deal and the Kimbrel connection, smells bad. You would think the Braves would be extra cautious after their shenanigans from a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                      This whole thing, including Acuna's deal and the Kimbrel connection, smells bad. You would think the Braves would be extra cautious after their shenanigans from a couple of years ago.
                      There might not be anything at all regarding Kimbrel. And really, it is the agent who looks bad in this one. Certainly no rule of MLB to not offer wildly team-friendly contracts. Acuna's deal was much more in line with others---to the extent that it could be with his lack of comps.

Comment

Albies would have been better off taking the david bote contract and tying up fewer years. Good look for team that they are seen squeezing one of best young gun players in league.

Comment

There's a lot of speculation online that Albies accepted the deal so that he could provide for his family. So while you and I might think that it's a travesty, to Albies and family, it's a lifetime safety net that they could never have imagined.

I still blame the Braves for taking advantage of the situation, and the agent for not limiting the deal so that Ozzie has another shot at the golden ring...it's business, but it still sucks.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            There's a lot of speculation online that Albies accepted the deal so that he could provide for his family. So while you and I might think that it's a travesty, to Albies and family, it's a lifetime safety net that they could never have imagined.

I still blame the Braves for taking advantage of the situation, and the agent for not limiting the deal so that Ozzie has another shot at the golden ring...it's business, but it still sucks.
                            Couldn't he provide better for his family if he was paid more money ? Was there some urgency for him to sign ? I'm really puzzled by the terms
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              Couldn't he provide better for his family if he was paid more money ? Was there some urgency for him to sign ? I'm really puzzled by the terms
                              Everything that I've read about the situation pretty much said that it was what Albies wanted to secure his future, so he took it to be assured there was no catastrophic injury. Most people in Latin countries live in such poverty, that a contract like this is something that can set a family up for generations, not just years. In the end, a pretty selfless act for Ozzie...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X