1108 walks/1194 k's
    155 OPS+
    58.7 career WAR (per bbref)

2010 MVP
    3 Top 3 MVP finishes
    6 Top 10 MVP finishes
    6 All-star appearances
    1 Gold glove
    Led league in OBP 7 times and MLB 3 times.
    Yes, first ballot.
    0%
    Yes, after a few tries.
    0%
    Yes, but only if he has a few more good seasons.
    0%
    No, close but no cigar.
    0%
    No, not even close.
    0%

The poll is expired.

Before the recent crop of HOFers, I'd have said close, but no cigar. Now I say he is a lock if he has a few more good seasons, which I think he will. His skill set should age well. Not the power, but his OBP. He has already had a better career than Harold Baines, with nearly twice is WAR.

Comment

Baines is a tough comp for anyone as that was such an odd choice, but I think it's tough to imagine Votto not getting in when Edgar Martinez is in there. Fairly similar skill-sets and of course Edgar played in an extreme offensive era and didn't contribute on defense for the majority of his career.

Comment

I was looking over the current 1B in the HOF and perhaps Votto is similiar to Jim Bottomley. Where I see Votto lacking is the RBI, Runs and Hits. Being 35 now I think he would need to play until 40. Still needs another 3 yrs of good production from RBI, Runs and Hits. Hits wise provided he stays healthy and no huge decline he could get to 2200 give or take. His runs and rbis are lower than most of the 1B already in. If he gets to 1100 runs scored and 1200 RBI then it should be a slam dunk for the HOF. Another hitter is Hank Greenberg who played less games but Votto could match his stats. Close but not there yet.

Jim Bottomly
        At Bats 8354
        Runs 1177
        Hits 2313
        Home Runs 219
        RBI 1422
        Stolen Bases 58
        Walks 664
        Batting Average .310
        OPS .869
        On Base % .369
        Slugging % .500

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          I was looking over the current 1B in the HOF and perhaps Votto is similiar to Jim Bottomley. Where I see Votto lacking is the RBI, Runs and Hits. Being 35 now I think he would need to play until 40. Still needs another 3 yrs of good production from RBI, Runs and Hits. Hits wise provided he stays healthy and no huge decline he could get to 2200 give or take. His runs and rbis are lower than most of the 1B already in. If he gets to 1100 runs scored and 1200 RBI then it should be a slam dunk for the HOF. Another hitter is Hank Greenberg who played less games but Votto could match his stats. Close but not there yet.

Jim Bottomly
          At Bats 8354
          Runs 1177
          Hits 2313
          Home Runs 219
          RBI 1422
          Stolen Bases 58
          Walks 664
          Batting Average .310
          OPS .869
          On Base % .369
          Slugging % .500
          Bottomley played in a great era for hitters. His OPS+ is a solid but unspectacular 125, compared to 155 for Votto. Also, a .369 OBP compared to .427 for Votto. Votto is under contract for 5 more seasons, so unless he misses a great deal of time due to injury or his performance slips to the point where he's a part-time player, he should get to 1,200 runs and 1,200 RBI fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
            Bottomley played in a great era for hitters. His OPS+ is a solid but unspectacular 125, compared to 155 for Votto. Also, a .369 OBP compared to .427 for Votto. Votto is under contract for 5 more seasons, so unless he misses a great deal of time due to injury or his performance slips to the point where he's a part-time player, he should get to 1,200 runs and 1,200 RBI fairly easily.
            I think Joey is in the Vintage Draft hall of Fame now anyway
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              To be honest I don't know what the criteria is used to vote players in. When I look at the 1B in the HOF I'm just comparing stats regardless of the era players played in. I agree that he should get to 1200 runs and rbi if he stays healthy. Again I think he is close and another good 3 seasons should wrap it up for him.

Comment

for another comparison

best top 10s in OPS+
                Bottomley 2 3 4 6 10 (in an 8-team league)
                JoeyVotto 1 1 2 2 3 4 5

some other career 125 OPS+ers include HOFers Yogi Berra, Kiki Cuyler, Ron Santo, and George Sisler - but also J.D. Drew, Bernie Williams, Leon Durham, Edwin Encarnacion....

the only other career 155 OPS+sers are Hank Aaron, Mel Ott, and Joe DiMaggio

- Votto obviously is NOT as good as any of those three (longevity, position and war credit) and never will be

- his decline phase, for instance, could sink him all the way to 147 with 6 others (all of them in the HOF: Edgar, Stargell, McCovey, Schmidt, Thome, Sam Thompson)
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Votto is a 1st ballot SIM league/OBP HOF
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Maybe not first ballot, but if he has another solid 5 years, he will be. Perhaps the best OBP guy of our generation.

Comment

Someone please remind me... how many World Series rings does Joey own?

Its called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of "Pretty Good" players.

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post

Yeah, kick Cobb, Wliams, Banks,.Griffey and all the other bums with out a ring out of the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post

Well i hope they dont vote people into the hof based on the performance of the teams they were part of....go yankees !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Yeah, kick Cobb, Wliams, Banks,.Griffey and all the other bums with out a ring out of the HOF.
                            I have as many rings as Ernie Banks....
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              I have as many rings as Ernie Banks....
                              I have as many as all those guys combined!

Comment

Working...
                              X