Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major League F*** UP during AL-only CBS Auction - WWYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major League F*** UP during AL-only CBS Auction - WWYD?

12 team AL 5x5

One player had JDM 41 and Benintendi 31 as keepers. He had them as reserves in his lineup which carried into the auction. As a result, they didn't count toward his team total, or budget, apparently!?!?

Well into the draft, other owners mentioned that he had 2 OF in his reserves. One of the co-commishes said he tried but couldn't move them. A couple rounds later I went in and moved them and that's when we realized he was over budget.

We removed the last 3 players he bought (Smoak, Mancini and Berrios) and let him pick replacements. Now we need to figure out what to do with these 3.

Players who are traded from the NL cannot be FAABed until the ASB. I suggested we apply that rule to these 3. We could also remove them from the player pool for the year. We have not done our reserve draft but I don't think it's fair to just throw them back.

What should we do?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

we had something like this a decade ago.

one owner kept a player for 23 units, but he wasn't listed on all public accountings.

late in the auction, we realize there's a major blunder - the owner is way over his units.

he had spent a similar amount on Matt Garza (!) as his latest buy, so we took him away.

we only allow FAAB on arrivals from AL, but also the occasional ex-All-Star who signs late (Clemens was the first, with the Astros. Kuechel and Kimbrel would take that path this year).

I think we waited til midseason and then let Garza be "one of those guys."

the main takeaways we found:
    - every owner just chilled and realized hey, crap happens.
    - the league is not ruined even if those guys never get owned. once we realized that, things kind of solved themselves.
    - if they will be owned, there has to be some sort of fair, open bidding.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
      12 team AL 5x5

One player had JDM 41 and Benintendi 31 as keepers. He had them as reserves in his lineup which carried into the auction. As a result, they didn't count toward his team total, or budget, apparently!?!?

Well into the draft, other owners mentioned that he had 2 OF in his reserves. One of the co-commishes said he tried but couldn't move them. A couple rounds later I went in and moved them and that's when we realized he was over budget.

We removed the last 3 players he bought (Smoak, Mancini and Berrios) and let him pick replacements. Now we need to figure out what to do with these 3.

Players who are traded from the NL cannot be FAABed until the ASB. I suggested we apply that rule to these 3. We could also remove them from the player pool for the year. We have not done our reserve draft but I don't think it's fair to just throw them back.

What should we do?
      It's a strange scenario, and I think that the only fair thing to do is to remove them from the pool this season...it sucks, but then everyone is on the same playing field.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Wow, terrible job by the commishes, who should've checked over everyone's roster pre-auction, as well as the guy who did it, who should've realized he was way over-budget.

Why was the co-commish unable to change the lineup, which you can easily do in the draft room, but you were able to?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Wow, terrible job by the commishes, who should've checked over everyone's roster pre-auction, as well as the guy who did it, who should've realized he was way over-budget.

Why was the co-commish unable to change the lineup, which you can easily do in the draft room, but you were able to?
          A bit of history: This league has been around since the late 80s. Half the league is original owners who knew each other in high school. During that time we had 2 co-commishes. A few years ago one of them was caught editing his roster retroactively. He is also a perennial champion. We had limited proof so we let him stay as an owner but the penalty was that he had no keepers the following year and obviously lost commish access. At that time, 3 other long-time members (I am one) were given commish access. One left this year. So, there are 3 of us with commish access but 2 of us made most of the decisions.

I did check all rosters to create a list of keepers. I was unaware that keeper players who are not in your lineup don't count against your cap. In-season this is not the case. I'm not sure why the other commish could not move those players to active. I suspect he was just changing their position and not their status as I did the same thing at first.

Did you have a suggestion on how we should proceed?
          Last edited by virgonomic; 07-14-2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

This is CBS's fault. We had this happen one year where a guy kept a couple expensive players on his DL...and bought like five of the first players. We figured it out pretty quickly but there is no reason CBS shouldn't have addressed this years ago. They suck.

As I was on the phone with them another opener started filming and caught me bitching at them, "this is a complete DISASTER", so it's been a fun league meme ever since.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

We had that in our league this year. We just had the owner nominate and acquire some nobodies for the same price, then fixed it after the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                This is CBS's fault. We had this happen one year where a guy kept a couple expensive players on his DL...and bought like five of the first players. We figured it out pretty quickly but there is no reason CBS shouldn't have addressed this years ago. They suck.

As I was on the phone with them another opener started filming and caught me bitching at them, "this is a complete DISASTER", so it's been a fun league meme ever since.
                Agreed. I've been anti-CBS for years but the league has been resistant to moving.

I was planning on leaving the league after this season but I actually enjoyed the draft more than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post

I may dislike CBS for a lot of things, but I disagree that this is their fault. This setting has to be manually checked off by a commish:

Which player would you like teams to bid on?
                  All Players (Active and Reserve)
                  Active Players Only

If 'Active Player Only' is checked off, which is the norm in many auction leagues, then any team that has players in their reserves won't have those salaries count towards their auction totals. That's why in a league with those rules, the commish has to review all the teams before the auction.

Why not just throw those players into the waiver pool and have a general FAAB bid for them? It's still early enough that most teams haven't blown through a large part of their budget yet.

Comment

I may dislike CBS for a lot of things, but I disagree that this is their fault. This setting has to be manually checked off by a commish:

Active Players Only

If 'Active Player Only' is checked off, which is the norm in many auction leagues, then any team that has players in their reserves won't have those salaries count towards their auction totals. That's why in a league with those rules, the commish has to review all the teams before the auction.

Why not just throw those players into the waiver pool and have a general FAAB bid for them? It's still early enough that most teams haven't blown through a large part of their budget yet.
                    Good to know. The three of us with commish access are still learning.

We put it to a vote. But those players shouldn't be in the FA pool and could be the difference maker in the final standings. I'm much more comfortable with doing that after the ASB when NL players traded to the AL prior to the ASB can be FAABed.

Comment

Active Players Only

If 'Active Player Only' is checked off, which is the norm in many auction leagues, then any team that has players in their reserves won't have those salaries count towards their auction totals.
                      This is not something that I would have ever thought to even check, so yes it is CBS's fault IMO for not having the default be that all players on a team before an auction starts count against that team's auction budget, as common sense would dictate and probably 99.9% of teams have as their rule.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Berrios, Mancini and Smoak are up for FAAB tonight. I'm 5th with $87 left. The 4 teams ahead of me haven't been very active recently. There is a slim chance I will land one. My team is currently in 6th, 10 points out of the money.

Berrios will help me a lot. All of their salaries are $5 this year so I can always flip one to a contender looking to create some room under the $310 salary cap.

Comment

Berrios 96
                          Mancini 82 (got him!)
                          Smoak 41

Comment

Working...
                          X