Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pillar to the Giants

for INF Alen Hanson, RHP Derek Law and RHP Juan De Paula

finally done. Anthony Alford can come back now.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

The Giants are... going for it? I realize they didn't pay much and he's a huge upgrade over their truly all-time worst outfield, but ... huh?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      The Giants are... going for it? I realize they didn't pay much and he's a huge upgrade over their truly all-time worst outfield, but ... huh?
      I don't know much about them but it seems Law is a serviceable bullpen piece ... but not to expect anything from the other two (dePaula seems to maybe have a bit of potential?). But we save a little money (Pillar is at $3.2M this year)
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Typo. They acquired the rights to Kevin Millar, not Pillar, from MLB Network, and will play him in the OF.

Comment

What can we (now) expect from Alford for this season? Cautiously optimistic? Significant growing pains? Breakout city? I don't have a lot of intel on this once-hyped prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
            What can we (now) expect from Alford for this season? Cautiously optimistic? Significant growing pains? Breakout city? I don't have a lot of intel on this once-hyped prospect.
            he had a strong spring & several reports that he showed significantly increased confidence - I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp. I'll say .250-10-50-15 (he's never hit double digit HRs in the minors but I think there's some latent power in there), playing decent defense

to temper that a bit tho, Grichuk played a few games in CF in ST ... so I don't think they're going to just give CF to Alford; there will be a lot of mixing & matching going on; but I think he'll earn his playing time

Comment

Working...
            X