2019: Chris Paddack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    How different is Paddack than Rich Hill? He's never done it at the major league level, sure. But the odds seem good that he'll give you 100-130 strong innings. With realistically no chance of getting more than that.
    I am going to find out. I paid $8 for Rich Hill vs the $18 for Paddack in our NL only this weekend.

This allowed me to take a flier on Dallas Keuchel for $8. I lose him if he signs in the AL but will have hit gold if goes NL.

Comment

To put some context on Paddack's dominance of the minors (I know, caveats apply based on competition), find the last starting pitcher at A ball or above with a >35% K rate and a <3% walk rate. Paddack struck out 120 last year and walked 8. That's just silly.

Here's some minor league years of current aces as comparison points:

Bumgarner struck out 30% and walked 4%
      Kershaw struck out 31% but walked 13%
      Scherzer struck out 28% and walked 12%
      Verlander struck out 30% and walked 6%

Can anyone find something similar to Paddack's 35/3?

Comment

isn't that telling us that he was punching way below his weight class (which seems to be majors)?

also, Paddack has pitched 177 TOTAL IP in his four-year minor league career - including 90 last year.

Padres have a Golden Goose here, it seems. let's hope this fable ends differently!
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I love Paddack and his upside, but his shine isn't so bright as to blind me to the odds of him being worth this year what it cost to get him. If I could have grabbed him cheap and hung onto him, I'd have been pleased, but as it stood, he was far more useful in a draft situation as bait to pull money off the table that will likely be misspent. Frankly, Strahm and Lauer were probably the better value picks out of the SD rotation. Those guys might actually earn more than it cost to get them.

If I've learned anything in fantasy baseball, I've learned this: whatever player is getting all the attention, I go the other way. I throw him out and make sure whoever lands him pays the full-hyped price. If he turns out to be great, at least he went for full cost, which I figured is a wash for me. He wasn't going to be on my team unless he was cheap and he wasn't going cheap, so if he's going to be on someone else's team and be a stud, at least he has a stud's price. If he's less than advertised, it increases my chance to win, because some other owner burned valuable dollars on hype. This isn't necessarily true for prospects in a dynasty league, but for players that are going to cost money in my draft, I'm trying to see where everyone is looking and find value in the ignored places.

Comment

Absolutely giddy. The Executioner!

Comment

I watched him go for $7 in my 12-team mixed but thankfully snagged him in the 6th round of my 16-team keep-forever sim league.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

He walked 4 in 3 2/3 innings today. He walked 8 in 90 innings all last season.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  He walked 4 in 3 2/3 innings today. He walked 8 in 90 innings all last season.
                  Big league hitters are a litttttle bit different than the guys in the minors. Maybe in the minors he was able to get guys to swing at pitches that were 2 inches off the plate, up here, not so much. The book on a guy gets around pretty quickly, and it becomes a game of adjustments. Or maybe he just had a bad day...either way, he's a rookie, and he's going to do rookie things. Even the best have stinkers now and again...
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Only 37.2 IP in AA and 0 IP in AAA. So, most of his minor league success has been against guys who will never play in the big leagues. He's a great prospect for sure. But, he may have been rushed up too soon. If he stays up, he may not show any consistency until next season.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

17 R (13 ER) in his last 20 IP with 7 HR allowed - but still has paid out $19 for the season in an NL-only per HQ

dynasty league? keep forever

redraft? 2019 innings clock already is ticking

tremendous talent here but

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        17 R (13 ER) in his last 20 IP with 7 HR allowed - but still has paid out $19 for the season in an NL-only per HQ

dynasty league? keep forever

redraft? 2019 innings clock already is ticking

tremendous talent here but
                        So if I’m looking to buy for future, better to wait for his value to drop or pounce now?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          So if I’m looking to buy for future, better to wait for his value to drop or pounce now?
                          Really depends on whats in the head of the guy who owns him now. I'm not selling "low" personally, but maybe someone is.

Comment

he should be really good next year, too, but he isn't cheap in most precincts. I'm not even convinced he gets a full green light in 2020.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                              During this 20IP stretch he has a 20/2 K/BB and one can excuse away 7 dongs against the Dodgers, Yanks, and Phils. But the velo is trending down a bit, about .5mph over his last 4. And just 2 years removed from TJ, the clock is ticking loudly. I would wait. He makes for an nice dump trade piece.

Comment

Sent down to high-A. Supposedly to limit his innings.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X