Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k19: Jon Gray

Here we go again:

The 27-year-old righty has been having an outstanding spring, allowing five runs on 11 hits with 22 strikeouts and only one walk over 17 2/3 innings of work.
    Last year, Gray had a 5.12 ERA, a 1.35 WHIP, and 183 Ks in 172 innings. His HR/9 spiked to 1.4 and his BABIP was .322. Those kinds of things happen in Coors.

His FIP last year was 4.08. Pitchers not matching their FIP is also a thing that happens in Coors.

ATC has the most optimistic projection, 170 innings, a 3.93 ERA, 178 Ks, 12 wins and a 1.29 WHIP. Most of the others are similar but slightly worse.

According to Jason's 'new pitch' tracker.... Gray is "fixing" his slider. That could be huge. I'm starting to get excited. The cost is still very low. Might be time to buy in. Spring doesn't always matter, but a 22:1 K:BB will always catch my eye.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Pitchers not matching their FIP is also a thing that happens in Coors.
    Gray has actually been a better pitcher at Coors than on the road in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Gray has actually been a better pitcher at Coors than on the road in his career.
      Yep and that is weird. Makes me think it in his head. Have you read anything that might explain this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Yep and that is weird. Makes me think it in his head. Have you read anything that might explain this?
        It's specifically related to the adjustments back and forth between different environments. You have to pitch differently at Coors than elsewhere and it's hard to turn that on and off.

Gray can explain it.

DENVER -- After his last home start -- a 6-2 win over the Padres on Aug. 22 -- Rockies right-hander Jon Gray said there is some frustration adapting to pitching in Coors Field when he comes off a road trip. He pitched well, so he wasn't making excuses, just giving an honest

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          It's specifically related to the adjustments back and forth between different environments. You have to pitch differently at Coors than elsewhere and it's hard to turn that on and off.

Gray can explain it.

https://www.mlb.com/news/gray-explai...ors-c293482002
          Thanks. That was a good read.

Some of it is in his head but then there is this:

"I like to take a more aggressive approach with my curveball here than I do on the road," Gray said. "I can kind of flip it on the road a little bit and throw strikes with it. I can't really do that here. I throw more a power curve, where it starts down and stays down. If it pops up, it's probably not going to come back down here.
          Last edited by Gregg; 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X