Nl closer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nl closer questions

Ari - Bradley should be the closer. Holland velocity is down but what about Hirano getting saves?

Atl Minter looks like going on the DL. Vizcaino will be the closer. What are Minters chances when he comes back? Provided of course that the shoulder is not serious.

Chi - Does Morrow come back and last the whole season? I have Strop in two leagues so I'm hoping no.

Cin - Is Iglesias a candidate to struggle and lose his job this season?

Mia - Steckenrider? Conley? Romo? Does anybody really care?

Phi - Robertson vs Seranthony? Kapler MO is to spread the saves around.

SF - Does Melancon challange Smith? He is have a bad spring so far.

STL - Hicks or Miller? Hicks has in 4 IP 10 K and 6 BB.

Dark horses I have shares of:
    1. Jared Hughes in Cincy...with word that Reds may use Iglesias like Hader, Hughes might get his fair share of saves.

2. Reyes Moronta in SF - They seem to be grooming him to be the closer long-term. He was the closer in AAA. Melancon is terrible. Smith was good last year, but may be traded, and they seem to want to use him in other ways.

Comment

ATL - Snitker said he was going to mix and match, so I think Minter gets a few whenever he gets back but doesn't take over the job.

ARI - If Holland was not looking terrible I think he would be getting more looks, I think they like Bradley in the fireman role. So while I do think Bradley starts with the job, I wouldn't totally rule out Hirano sneaking in.

CIN - I think Iglesias is fine. They're occasionally going to use him in some 7th and 8th inning situations but I still think he gets the bulk of the chances. Not sure who would pitch the 9th if he worked earlier in the game. Lorenzen? Hughes?

Comment

MIL - If they sign Kimbrel, I assume he would immediately supplant Knebel as the closer based on his career as a preeminent closer, no?

If Kimbrel signs in Washington or Chicago, I think it would be even more obvious that he'd immediately become the closer. For those drafting before Kimbrel signs, how much does it/should it impact one's bids on Knebel, Hader, Doolittle, Morrow, Strop?

Comment

Good question B Fly. I think WAS / Doolittle was a risk to begin with. Should impact Knebel bids, but then again how likely is it that MIL spends that kind of money? Personally I hope they do. Good for the game and their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            1. Jared Hughes in Cincy...with word that Reds may use Iglesias like Hader, Hughes might get his fair share of saves.

2. Reyes Moronta in SF - They seem to be grooming him to be the closer long-term. He was the closer in AAA. Melancon is terrible. Smith was good last year, but may be traded, and they seem to want to use him in other ways.
            +1 on Moronta
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

As for Kimbrel:This Knebel owner thinks (hopes) that Milwaukee is being used as a pawn to encourage the Cubs and Cardinals to spend some serious money to fix their shaky 9th inning situations. So, i think Kimbrel lands in Chicago or St Louis.

As for Hader: I think his role stays the same no matter who is closing for the Brewers.

I think Vizcaino and Iglesias keep their jobs all year if healthy. The rest of those teams are a crap shoot for saves.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post

I have Smith for a $1 and now thinking I should also get Moronta.

Comment

Good tip on Moronta.....i doubt anyone in my league will be after him, looks like a sage dollar day guy

Comment

Our auction is today. Kimbrel can’t be bid on. He will be a $100 FAAB bid later. I kinda hate that. Feel it distorts the league. Thoughts? Is there a better way to handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      Our auction is today. Kimbrel can’t be bid on. He will be a $100 FAAB bid later. I kinda hate that. Feel it distorts the league. Thoughts? Is there a better way to handle it?
                      I was thinking about this last night.

One option is to have any player not on an AL roster who has mlb service time (or exhausted rookie eligibility) available in your auction. It still protects the minor league portion, but gets rid of this ridiculous issue where free agents on opening day are treated separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I was thinking about this last night.

One option is to have any player not on an AL roster who has mlb service time (or exhausted rookie eligibility) available in your auction. It still protects the minor league portion, but gets rid of this ridiculous issue where free agents on opening day are treated separately.
                        Another option:
                        Have reserve picks- in our Al only league we can’t draft Kimbrel in the Auction but can draft him in Reserve draft. Which the first pick is who comes in 5th - so some reward for finishing high and not doing the total Dump/ tank job. Of course if he signs with the NL you lose him and wasted the pick.

Comment

Last year in our NL only league, Holland and Arietta went for $100 each. We now know that didn't work out well for those teams.

Obviously Kimbrel is a lot less risk.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                            Another option:
                            Have reserve picks- in our Al only league we can’t draft Kimbrel in the Auction but can draft him in Reserve draft. Which the first pick is who comes in 5th - so some reward for finishing high and not doing the total Dump/ tank job. Of course if he signs with the NL you lose him and wasted the pick.
                            I'm talking about making it not reserve. In recent years the top end of the reserve draft has gained value due to the potentially unsigned guys. That wasn't originally the intention of the reserve draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              I'm talking about making it not reserve. In recent years the top end of the reserve draft has gained value due to the potentially unsigned guys. That wasn't originally the intention of the reserve draft.
                              We like it but we have a lot of rules that try and curve early and huge dumping so it fills our need and rewards the person who comes in 5th . Lot of owners would rather be 5th then 4 th. Eloy signing that contract surely gave a huge pause to the league as we hadn’t seen that at the last minute in our 30 years. We have made a lot of rule changes from the original Book rules. 24 hr trade rule, keep players in season traded to NL ,freeze players traded over from NL, 1 C 2 Ut players , Sept Expansion...

Comment

Working...
                              X