Please help me evalueate my pitching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I think concept is that it arbitrarily emphasizes having a 2nd pitching staff. To win the Ks/Ws categories you'd need to be starting one staff at the beginning of the week and an entirely different staff at the end. It turns your league into a pitcher streaming league.
    I've never quite understood this line of reasoning...IMO, we play this game to mirror the experience of running a big league team as closely as possible. Now I get why people don't want to do daily leagues (personally, I love it, but I have the spare time), but changing twice a week, and allowing more pitching changes seems to come closer to the real game.

Not to mention that you get to replace that guy who gets injured on Tuesday and will be out all week. Again, IMO, just a little closer to the real thing...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Especially in a league with 10 reserves and something like 7 or 8 DL spots. The amount of pitcher streaming would be crazy. Which is fine, but I'm not sure that's what everyone signed up for.
      We have daily moves and a 13 man reserve. We also have a minimum of 900 innings pitched.

I definitely stream MRs on a daily basis but i have to be careful of the innings pitched.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I've never quite understood this line of reasoning...IMO, we play this game to mirror the experience of running a big league team as closely as possible. Now I get why people don't want to do daily leagues (personally, I love it, but I have the spare time), but changing twice a week, and allowing more pitching changes seems to come closer to the real game.

Not to mention that you get to replace that guy who gets injured on Tuesday and will be out all week. Again, IMO, just a little closer to the real thing...
        I don't really agree with your premise, but just to play it out, in this format the best strategy might be having ~2 players that can play second base (seems reasonable), along with ~15 starting pitchers so that you can swap out the pitchers who already pitched at the start of the week (doesn't seem reasonable).

The pitcher streaming was called out as the issue. Major league teams don't call up a brand new pitching staff just to pitch the weekend, and then send them all back down so they can have a their normal staff M-Th. That's what this league would start to approach.

Comment

My Al only league has the best both worlds. We have weekly lineups. But allow for changes on:
          1 players placed on IL, family leave, suspension.
          2 Get sent down to minors
          3 get called up from the minors

Comment

I don't really agree with your premise, but just to play it out, in this format the best strategy might be having ~2 players that can play second base (seems reasonable), along with ~15 starting pitchers so that you can swap out the pitchers who already pitched at the start of the week (doesn't seem reasonable).

The pitcher streaming was called out as the issue. Major league teams don't call up a brand new pitching staff just to pitch the weekend, and then send them all back down so they can have a their normal staff M-Th. That's what this league would start to approach.
            Still not following the whole streaming thing (I can be fairly dense)...if you have a staff of 12 pitchers, are you saying that you'd be cutting and adding during the 2nd half of the period? Or is it just that you may be able to get another start or two by switching starters for the 2nd half of the period?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Still not following the whole streaming thing (I can be fairly dense)...if you have a staff of 12 pitchers, are you saying that you'd be cutting and adding during the 2nd half of the period? Or is it just that you may be able to get another start or two by switching starters for the 2nd half of the period?
              Depends on roster sizes. In some situations a large portion of your bench is just your "second staff". With shorter benches you may be swapping out players every week to fill that 2nd half.

But "a start or two" is vastly underselling it. Lets say you have Jacob DeGrom and he's starting on Saturday. He's now a bench player the first half of the week, and if you are trying to win the W/Ks you have a guy who starts in his place the first 1/2 of the week.

You essentially have two staffs each week, one with the guys who start m-th, the other for guys who start fri-sun. Outside of two start pitchers, who stay in both halves, you double your starts for the week.

Comment

Depends on roster sizes. In some situations a large portion of your bench is just your "second staff". With shorter benches you may be swapping out players every week to fill that 2nd half.

But "a start or two" is vastly underselling it. Lets say you have Jacob DeGrom and he's starting on Saturday. He's now a bench player the first half of the week, and if you are trying to win the W/Ks you have a guy who starts in his place the first 1/2 of the week.

You essentially have two staffs each week, one with the guys who start m-th, the other for guys who start fri-sun. Outside of two start pitchers, who stay in both halves, you double your starts for the week.
                But everyone in the league has the same set of rules to go by, so there really shouldn't be any particular advantage to a single owner. Provided that they pay attention, and isn't that the case with all decisions in roto? Some might say that you have an unfair advantage in your leagues because of your statistical analysis...That is also available to everyone, but some either choose not to use it, or simply don't have the math skills to pull it off properly.

I understand what you're saying now...it takes me a while.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

But everyone in the league has the same set of rules to go by, so there really shouldn't be any particular advantage to a single owner. Provided that they pay attention, and isn't that the case with all decisions in roto? Some might say that you have an unfair advantage in your leagues because of your statistical analysis...That is also available to everyone, but some either choose not to use it, or simply don't have the math skills to pull it off properly.
                  I'm confused, the topic we were discussing was based on your premise of "IMO, we play this game to mirror the experience of running a big league team as closely as possible". But now the goalpost moved to whether it gives any particular team an advantage.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, it's another game that you can compete in. But we've established that it is a DIFFERENT game, and that's why I'm not particularly interested in it. Why switch to a different game when standard weekly roto is a good one? And the differences aren't that interesting. They don't require significantly more skill IMO.

I understand what you're saying now...it takes me a while.
                  OK great!

Comment

I'm confused, the topic we were discussing was based on your premise of "IMO, we play this game to mirror the experience of running a big league team as closely as possible". But now the goalpost moved to whether it gives any particular team an advantage.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, it's another game that you can compete in. But we've established that it is a DIFFERENT game, and that's why I'm not particularly interested in it. Why switch to a different game when standard weekly roto is a good one? And the differences aren't that interesting. They don't require significantly more skill IMO.

OK great!
                    Not moving the goalposts, just extending the discussion to another level. But I do believe that we've reached an understanding...not agreement, but understanding.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                    X