Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to be proud of in Texas

Harris County (Houston metro) is reforming the bail system:

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Wow, way to go Texas! This is a good thing. Hopefully more counties follow suit.

Comment

It will be interesting.

I will quibble on one point already. I do not consider DUI to be nonviolent in the sense that they do, ie not posing a threat to the community.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        I do not consider DUI to be nonviolent in the sense that they do, ie not posing a threat to the community.
        That's not what non-violent crime means though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          That's not what non-violent crime means though.
          Perhaps I should have said physical threat. Regardless, I would not include DUI on the list.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Nice. Colorado is working on bail reform, too. Your post got me to look up the details of our two bills currently under consideration:

HB19-1225: Ends cash bail requirements for low-level traffic, petty, or municipal offenses, with a few sensible exceptions (traffic offenses involving death or injury, eluding a law enforcement officer).

HB19-1226: Requires each state judicial districts to implement a pretrial screening process and criteria for releasing certain individuals subject to no bail conditions. Also, requires that individuals be released with the least restrictive conditions possible without monetary conditions so long as they don't pose a substantial risk of danger, failure to appear in court, or obstruction of the criminal process.

These sound pretty good to me. I don't like our justice system using overbearing financial shakedowns to advance their goals.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              Nice. Colorado is working on bail reform, too. Your post got me to look up the details of our two bills currently under consideration:

HB19-1225: Ends cash bail requirements for low-level traffic, petty, or municipal offenses, with a few sensible exceptions (traffic offenses involving death or injury, eluding a law enforcement officer).

HB19-1226: Requires each state judicial districts to implement a pretrial screening process and criteria for releasing certain individuals subject to no bail conditions. Also, requires that individuals be released with the least restrictive conditions possible without monetary conditions so long as they don't pose a substantial risk of danger, failure to appear in court, or obstruction of the criminal process.

These sound pretty good to me. I don't like our justice system using overbearing financial shakedowns to advance their goals.
              esp. when one of the goals is for private correctional facilities to make more money by incarcerating more people.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                esp. when one of the goals is for private correctional facilities to make more money by incarcerating more people.
                Yeah, when they started aggressively lobbying for more expansive law enforcement and harsher sentencing, I think it woke a lot of fence-sitters up to their game.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                X