Ever seen a perfect season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever seen a perfect season?

So, I did my usual post draft recap last year (title: LV AL Draft Recap), and was in love with the squad. I followed up on the post in May, when I first hit a perfect 80pts (10 team AL 4x4). I tried not to follow up with too many posts about it, as I continued on at 80 pts for (most of) the rest of the season. I think I had a total of a couple of weeks worth of days in the middle of the season at 78-79pts. The team was sick, and everything broke right for me. Health was (generally) very good, pickups were great, players performed. It was a helluva a ride. Final roster:

C - Garver $10 (pickup)
    C - Narveaz 10 (pickup)
    1 - Olson 7 (keeper)
    3 - Ramirez 11 (keeper)
    CI - Cron 1 (drafted)
    2B - open
    SS - Semien 10 (keeper)
    MI - Mondesi 10 (pickup)
    DH - Palka 5 (pickup)
    OF - Trout 53 (drafted)
    OF - Betts 44 (drafted)
    OF - Benintendi 29 (drafted)
    OF - Castellanos 11 (keeper)
    OF - Teoscar 10 (pickup)

P - Severino 10 (keeper)
    P - Morton 1 (keeper)
    P - Paxton 6 (keeper)
    P - Glasnow 5 (pickup)
    P - Manaea 7 (drafted)
    P - Giles 8 (pickup)
    P - Leclerc 7 (pickup)
    P - Treinan 7 (keeper)
    P - Diaz 11 (keeper)

I didnt talk much about the team - with anyone - for the obvious superstitious reasons, as well as not wanting to sound overly braggadocios. But damn. 80 friggin points. Second place finished with 50. Most categories were uncontested, with the pitching ratios the only ones within shouting distance. I've never even heard about a perfect roto season being talked about before. This is a very mature league (24 seasons) and we'd never had a team hit 80 after the first week, let alone an entire season. I still havent really talked it up with league members, although the couple that I've seen since have spoken in awe and reverence. Waiting to see how it's received when we all get together for the draft.

So - have you? Have you ever seen it?

I decided sometime around June that this team was good enough to make a 3 year run, through 2020. I can keep the big three sticks together that long at current price, and have some very good moving parts around them. I had planned on extending Severino a year to keep til '20, but the injury has me scared of that. I'll bold my '19 keepers, and I plan to extend Olson to 12 ('20) to stay with the core. I've also internally debated extending Treinan and Morton, but think both are unlikely.
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Mondesi, Leclerc, Giles, Teo Hernandez, and Glasnow were WW pickups in an only league. That's sick.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

What does 2B - open mean? You did not have a 2B??

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        What does 2B - open mean? You did not have a 2B??
        I finished the year with an open slot (formerly Dozier, before NL trade). I was so far ahead in all offensive cats that it was meaningless. I had Mondesi tied to Soler $1, and was hoping that KC would activate him before the season ended, allowing me to keep both in '19.

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

How weird, I've never played in a league where you could just leave a roster spot unoccupied.

And it is hard to imagine that a pitching staff that starts Glasnow (2W), Manaea (injured all of Sept), and 4 relievers get 1st place in Wins? Something seems... off. Did the other teams in your league just give up early?

Comment

we allow for up to 2 out of 23 roster slots to be open for strategic purposes (not as of the end of the auction, but if two players go down after that).

until Sept 1, FA pickups would be 10-S2 so could be worth a wait.
            after Sept 1, that goes to 20-S2 - but players claimed on waivers remain no more than 10-S2 unless their auction price was higher (which rarely happens).
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Very cool. I came very close to a perfect season in my NBA league one year (8 total categories), but then all my PGs got hurt with around a month to go and I slipped in AST.

Comment

How weird, I've never played in a league where you could just leave a roster spot unoccupied.

And it is hard to imagine that a pitching staff that starts Glasnow (2W), Manaea (injured all of Sept), and 4 relievers get 1st place in Wins? Something seems... off. Did the other teams in your league just give up early?
                I only showed the final lineup configuration. Of course there were other lineups during the course of the season with pickups, etc.

In a league where every pickup, move, reserve, etc results in a fee, would be a bit Draconian to compel moves.

Current Lineup:

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                  In a league where every pickup, move, reserve, etc results in a fee, would be a bit Draconian to compel moves.
                  Ahhh now it makes complete sense, that's why teams didn't compete with you down the stretch. I think in a typical setup someone would have surely passed you in at least one category. But once you have a substantial lead, in your setup everyone is incentivized to basically quit, rather than paying additional money to still lose.

Argh I hate any league that charges you to play the game more and therefore encourages sitting on your hands. If anything there should be a charge for *not* making moves.

Comment

Ahhh now it makes complete sense, that's why teams didn't compete with you down the stretch. I think in a typical setup someone would have surely passed you in at least one category. But once you have a substantial lead, in your setup everyone is incentivized to basically quit, rather than paying additional money to still lose.

Argh I hate any league that charges you to play the game more and therefore encourages sitting on your hands. If anything there should be a charge for *not* making moves.
                    ^this

(Not to distract too much from the achievement, which is pretty amazing.)
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

That really wasnt the case, though. Transactions were not down from previous years. There's still a pretty fair amount of money at stake for 2nd/3rd/4th, and it's a very competitive league. Again, the only cats that were very close were pitching ratios, and they were still solidly in 1st. Wins finished 5 away, but I had already built a bit of a lead prior to that. There was no catching me in any offensive cat, or saves.

Current Lineup:

Comment

The closest I can remember is when I got 93.5/100 in a 10-team AL-only keeper back in 2012. Ended up winning by 17.5 so at the end of the year I was doing all I could to bump the categories I wasn't winning but it's pretty hard to make up ratios at the end. Mike Trout's best season was a big reason but it's funny to see the other players who really pushed me up - Coco Crisp's 39 steals, Trevor Plouffe's 24 homers, Jim Johnson's 51 saves, and somehow 12 wins with quality ratios from Ryan Dempster?! I don't even remember him pitching in the AL

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          The closest I can remember is when I got 93.5/100 in a 10-team AL-only keeper back in 2012. Ended up winning by 17.5 so at the end of the year I was doing all I could to bump the categories I wasn't winning but it's pretty hard to make up ratios at the end. Mike Trout's best season was a big reason but it's funny to see the other players who really pushed me up - Coco Crisp's 39 steals, Trevor Plouffe's 24 homers, Jim Johnson's 51 saves, and somehow 12 wins with quality ratios from Ryan Dempster?! I don't even remember him pitching in the AL
                          My best was 133/140 in 2014. I had 68/70 pitching points.

I won by 29 points.
                          Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-23-2019, 10:58 AM.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

my best was 113.5 out of 120 in 2015, winning by 16.5 points.

I see that midseason pickups Cespedes and CarGo hit a combined 43 HR in 452 AB, which helped the cause lol.
                            Brad Ziegler 30 SV, 1.85 ERA - for a buck!
                            someone named Rubby de la Rosa won 14 games, and midseason add Kershaw was ok - 1.21 ERA, 11 W in 17 starts. ooh, Greinke 1.65 ERA and 19 W for 25 units. that worked, too.

49 out of 50 in pitching, came up short only in K.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Our leagues do just that.

The bottom 4 positions in both of our 12 teamer pay a "You suck tax." $100 last place, $75 2nd last, 50 and 25. In addition last and first place get 10 keepers, 2nd last and 2nd get 11, up to the middle 2 teams who get a max of 14. This includes rookies.

The combination has been very effective in cutting down the massive dumps as well as keeping players engaged.

Comment

Working...
                              X