RJEL auction analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    I was impressed that you stayed out of the Sale-DeGrom frenzy; in your situation I would have been tempted.
    There was a scenario I played out where I would have added another ace - especially with Verlander going for $46 and Cole for $44. Mainly if I went with only 1 closer and shifted some $ from offense. But Harper changed things and I wanted to stay away from dollar days in all my leagues this year (preferring the $2-3 trump). Had I not kept Carrasco I 100% would have paid up but keeping him put me on a path to not chase the top guys more or less.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      All Your Base
      1B - C Santana 26
      OF - J Upton 27
      As I mentioned in another post these 2 I thought were great buys where you got them. Not many bargains to be had but "if" Upton's knees are ok then $27 is a good $5-10 lower than I would have thought he'd go for. And Santana is a great OBP play in a strong Cleveland lineup. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
        ... preferring the $2-3 trump ...
        I don't even know if he's worth a buck. Oh, wait a minute ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
          As I mentioned in another post these 2 I thought were great buys where you got them. Not many bargains to be had but "if" Upton's knees are ok then $27 is a good $5-10 lower than I would have thought he'd go for. And Santana is a great OBP play in a strong Cleveland lineup. Well done.
          thanks; Upton's been DHing in minor lg games, so hopefully ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I like your pitching a lot.
            On the hitting side, I wonder if you wouldnt have been better off going for one of the bigger bats. I understand spreading out your $s but when $11 goes to Jorge Soler I'm not sure spreading it out actually helped.
            I think I'd like your offense a lot more with one of the big bats and switching a few of your $10-$20 players to $1-$5 guys who actually look very similar.
            fair point ... as some of those $1-5 guys went I started questioning that myself ...

Comment

I'll throw mine up here. Since I'm commish, we had a major site issue I was working on all morning, then one of our guys shows up 10 minutes late, then the site issue miraculously clears up in the delay, so it took awhile to actually start paying attention to the draft and my team and not commish issues.

I had a bunch of higher-priced keepers so I had one of the lowest bankrolls heading in. I needed 2 closers and figured I'd grab one mid-upper tier bat, then just play along.

Magnificent Bastards
              C - Realmuto 11
              1B - Rizzo 46
              2B - Odor 12
              3B - Bryant 21

SS - Profar 22
              MI - Lowrie 7
              CI - R. Guzman 4
              OF - JD Martinez 45
              OF - Gallo 7
              OF - Bader 6

OF - Brinson 5
              OF - A. Jones 4
              UT - H. Ramirez 3
              UT - R. Nunez 1
              Bench - T. Frazier 1, B. Zimmer 1, W. Calhoun 1
              MLers possibly on the way - Hampson, Hays, Hiura
              Offense $197

P - Corbin 9
              P - Berrios 9
              P - Wheeler 3

P - C. Smith 4
              P - Loaisiga 2
              P - Hader 2
              P - C. Allen 16
              P - Strickland 14
              P - Boxberger 7
              Bench - Pomeranz 1, Jeffress 1
              MLer possibly on the way - DuPlantier
              Pitching $68

Analysis - I landed the big bat, but was surprised that the bidding for Machado stopped at 45 (I thought it was a glitch, but no one mentioned anything). I would've taken him over Rizzo, but that's OK. I have little speed unless Hampson starts and Zimmer comes back healthy, but a lot of power. I have some holes on offense unless a couple of guys don't go off the cliff (Jones, Hanley). Brinson would be a nice boost if he can finally hit.

I didn't add any SPs of note, and with the bi-weekly lineups, I'm going to fall behind unless I find SPs to stream on the wire or through deals. Hopefully my lower-end closers can rack up some saves before they fall apart or I deal them away.

Comment

I agree Santana 26 and Upton 27 are great buys. I would have gone higher on Santana for his OBP, but my laptop crashed and I let it slide. Upton is pretty close to Cain, who I paid $33 for.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  we had a major site issue I was working on all morning
                  what was the site issue?

Comment

This is my second year in the league, the first year I was in rebuilding mode, so really my first year trying to draft a competitive team. I'm really struggling to adapt to an 18 team league, compared to all my previous 15/16 team leagues. Prices seem really, really high for the superstars, but yet there aren't any bargains in the mid range players. Anyway, I planned to try to get at least one closer and one good SP, and spend most of my money on hitting. Figured I could get 2-3 high end players. I ended up not following my plans, picking Ohtani didn't really help that. Anyway, here's the squad:

C Willians Astudillo C | MIN 3
                    1B Matt Adams 1B | WAS 4
                    2B Scooter Gennett 2B | CIN 8
                    3B Wil Myers 3B,OF | SD 33
                    SS Chris Taylor OF,SS | LAD 4
                    MI Jonathan Schoop 2B | MIN 11
                    CI Kyle Seager 3B | SEA 7
                    OF Michael Brantley OF | HOU 13
                    OF Matt Kemp OF | CIN 6
                    OF Brandon Nimmo OF | NYM 2
                    OF Eddie Rosario OF | MIN 7

OF Juan Soto OF | WAS 5
                    U Jason Kipnis 2B | CLE 7
                    U Eric Thames 1B,OF | MIL 6

Reserves:
                    MI Dansby Swanson SS | ATL 4
                    P Shohei Ohtani P,U | LAA 26

Pitchers:

Walker Buehler P | LAD 2 A

Yu Darvish P | CHC 20 A
                    Kevin Gausman P | ATL 7 A
                    Tyler Glasnow P | TB 6 B
                    Brandon Morrow P | CHC 11 A
                    Eduardo Rodriguez P | BOS 8 B
                    Drew Steckenrider P | MIA 8 A
                    Stephen Strasburg P | WAS 35 A
                    Julio Urias P | LAD 3 B

Reserves:
                    Andrew Miller P | STL 15 A
                    Danny Salazar P | CLE 1 A
                    Garrett Richards P | SD 3 A

Rookies who might Help:

Whitley, Soroka, Sheffield, Keller, Toussaint

I'm going to need some help on offense, hopefully some of my rookie pitchers can help out and I can deal some pitching.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Just want everyone to know that I'm not in the league anyone, so your suspicions that I was the one who was late are unfounded.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        what was the site issue?
                        We have twice-weekly lineup changes (Mon-Thurs, Fri-Sun), so I have to create the schedule, which I did the day before the draft. As our draft was before the season started, I created the 3/20-3/21 games as its own period, Period 1. I then followed suit for the next 52 periods. All is good.

Well, I get an email Sunday morning that all of our contract extensions are not being reflected in the draft room. We did the contract extensions the week before, mind you. We checked the draft room the day before and they were fine -- the league schedule must have caused the problem, and the 3/20 date must have triggered it.

I tried everything -- changing the schedule, not including the 3/20 games, going to a team page and changing the contracts manually again, sending CBS an urgent email, calling them, calling a CBS columnist I know to see if he knew anyone, etc. Then Rick says CBS probably updates their draft room software nightly, so any changes we make probably won't be reflected in the draft room anyway. I called Keith and we decided the best solution was to add in the missing $$ on that team's first auction win. Not great, but fine. Some more calls to CBS got nowhere fast. All this took about 2 1/2 hours.

Then an owner was 10 minutes late, we track him down, he gets in the room and says "hey, my salaries are accurate!" Everyone checks their teams and lo and behold, they're all correct. No idea how that happened, but the auction went off without a hitch (except for those with java issues who constantly bogged us down).

Cut to today, the teams are set. I go to set the league schedule AGAIN (keep in mind it's a pain in the ass to do and takes a good 20 minutes). And upon completion, I check my team and yep, it's showing my pre-auction team. F me! I go back to the schedule and change Period 1 from 3/20-3/31 to just 3/28-3/31, check my team, and it's back to normal.

There's a problem with their software and the 3/20-3/21 games. The software must think 3/20 is not part of the regular season and it reverts your league back to an earlier date. I've sent CBS another email and yep, still no reply.

Comment

We have twice-weekly lineup changes (Mon-Thurs, Fri-Sun), so I have to create the schedule, which I did the day before the draft. As our draft was before the season started, I created the 3/20-3/21 games as its own period, Period 1. I then followed suit for the next 52 periods. All is good.

Well, I get an email Sunday morning that all of our contract extensions are not being reflected in the draft room. We did the contract extensions the week before, mind you. We checked the draft room the day before and they were fine -- the league schedule must have caused the problem, and the 3/20 date must have triggered it.

I tried everything -- changing the schedule, not including the 3/20 games, going to a team page and changing the contracts manually again, sending CBS an urgent email, calling them, calling a CBS columnist I know to see if he knew anyone, etc. Then Rick says CBS probably updates their draft room software nightly, so any changes we make probably won't be reflected in the draft room anyway. I called Keith and we decided the best solution was to add in the missing $$ on that team's first auction win. Not great, but fine. Some more calls to CBS got nowhere fast. All this took about 2 1/2 hours.

Then an owner was 10 minutes late, we track him down, he gets in the room and says "hey, my salaries are accurate!" Everyone checks their teams and lo and behold, they're all correct. No idea how that happened, but the auction went off without a hitch (except for those with java issues who constantly bogged us down).

Cut to today, the teams are set. I go to set the league schedule AGAIN (keep in mind it's a pain in the ass to do and takes a good 20 minutes). And upon completion, I check my team and yep, it's showing my pre-auction team. F me! I go back to the schedule and change Period 1 from 3/20-3/31 to just 3/28-3/31, check my team, and it's back to normal.

There's a problem with their software and the 3/20-3/21 games. The software must think 3/20 is not part of the regular season and it reverts your league back to an earlier date. I've sent CBS another email and yep, still no reply.
                          Thanks for all your efforts ! Sounds like a real pain.
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

FYI, on with CBS now, and they are AWARE that their site is having issues with adding the 3/20-3/21 dates into Period 1. Now why that isn't posted anywhere on their site, or in the FAQs is beyond me......

Comment

As a 30 year commissioner of my Al only league those are the behind the scene issues that the rest of the members are blissfully ignorant of. I am glad I run a live Auction and do not have to put up with any computer or site issues during the draft.

Comment

FYI, on with CBS now, and they are AWARE that their site is having issues with adding the 3/20-3/21 dates into Period 1. Now why that isn't posted anywhere on their site, or in the FAQs is beyond me......
                                Now I'm feeling lucky that I stumbled into making 3/20 and 3/21 into their own week for PONY. Hopefully that won't break anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X