How did this NL draft work out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did this NL draft work out?

10 team NL only with a 10-man bench and unlimited keepers (mine we very limited compared to most, and they are marked with an asterisk). I planned on stars and scrubs, and ended up playing it to the hilt at the auction. With this kind of offense, my draft focus ended up being to try and dominate the pitching ratios while spec on saves at the same time. Think it will work?

HITTERS COST
    C- A.Barnes 1
    1B- Rizzo 38*
    2B- C. Hernandez 12*
    3B- Frazier 1
    SS- Machado 40
    CI- Goldschmidt 42
    MI- Hampson 13
    OF- Hoskins 12*
    OF- Duggar 5*
    OF- Blackmon 35
    OF- C. Taylor 8
    OF- F. Cordero 2
    U- W. Flores 2
    U- R. Tapia 1
    Bench - Chisenhall, C.Walker, C.Ray, I.Diaz

P keepers - Flaherty 15, Mikolas 7, Pivetta 1, Hader 7, Lugo 5
    P buys - Paddack 9, S.Dominguez 2, D.Holland 1, M.Kelly 1
    P bench - Moronta, Kela, J.Hughes, Pablo Lopez, Bryse Wilson, T.Widener
    Last edited by Pauly; 03-17-2019, 10:49 PM.

No offense, but yikes. I think you will have serious R/RBI issues due to a lack of AB's. The pitching ratios should be okay if Pivetta hits (and I am not a fan), but the K's are iffy, even with the RP boost from Hader. And the saves are more or less non-existent. That looks like too many categories tanked. The steals would look questionable, too, but NL-only leagues don't have any SB's, so you should be fine with Blackmon and Hampson (even if he doesn't play that much, which I suspect). I imagine that others will like this team more--you seem to have some crucial players who are boom or bust that I am on the bust side for this year, especially Hampson and Pivetta.

Comment

Machado/Goldy/Rizzo is a pretty good starting place for an NL only. I really like your pitching buys but you really do need to find some saves. Not sure if you're going to try to compete this year but maybe you can get someone to overpay you in a consolidation trade and get 3 holes filled by trading Goldy.

Comment

It’s a workable team, pauly. Only real holes on offense are Duggar and Frazier. But the pitching is pretty brutal. Also the hitting bench is a wasteland.

Not sure I agree with cavebird about offense issues. I think you’re ok there but need pitching help. I like the idea of flipping Goldy, but would see if you can get a top SP first.

Comment

Thanks guys. After reading cavebirds comment I went back and re-checked my projections based on top three historical category targets on offense....And whether it’s steamer, the bat, or even Erickson’s shady Rotowire projections, I am hitting all the targets. In fact, rw had me top two in every category. I think Goldschmidt Rizzo Machado Hoskins Blackmon makes rostering guys like hampson flores cordero and tapia much easier! To think I thought You guys would be tearing up my pitching lol

Comment

if Paddack gets 100 MLB IP this year - or maybe even 100 total - color me shocked.

he's a very nice prospect and he goes for even more in some leagues, but the guy is on the most serious IP limit in baseball, practically. I don't get it. not even sure he pitches a lot in 2020, either.

then again, probably 5 league mates would salivate to trade for him and Alex Reyes sucked a lot of money out of many recent auctions so....

also 10-team may mean you can constantly upgrade the crappy hitting slots?
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Thanks guys. After reading cavebirds comment I went back and re-checked my projections based on top three historical category targets on offense....And whether it’s steamer, the bat, or even Erickson’s shady Rotowire projections, I am hitting all the targets. In fact, rw had me top two in every category. I think Goldschmidt Rizzo Machado Hoskins Blackmon makes rostering guys like hampson flores cordero and tapia much easier! To think I thought You guys would be tearing up my pitching lol
              I guess I focused on the holes in the offense, which are going to happen in a stars and scrubs 10-only league (Cordero, Tapia, Duggar, and Frazier all may have significant playing time issues), but maybe the stars outweigh that in this format, and runs and rbi won't be a problem---I guess I would have to see other teams in the league to get a feel for that--if everyone or most everyone has 1 or 2 guys who may or may not play, then my initial assessment was just wrong. The pitching lacks K's and saves.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                I guess I focused on the holes in the offense, which are going to happen in a stars and scrubs 10-only league (Cordero, Tapia, Duggar, and Frazier all may have significant playing time issues), but maybe the stars outweigh that in this format, and runs and rbi won't be a problem---I guess I would have to see other teams in the league to get a feel for that--if everyone or most everyone has 1 or 2 guys who may or may not play, then my initial assessment was just wrong. The pitching lacks K's and saves.
                Yep pretty much everyone has at least one part-timer or fourth OF type. I have more than most but I felt the top end outweighed it. You are 100% correct on the pitching side and I can see how the paddack pick may bite me in the ass in the short term. Hoping that hitting the top two in the pitching ratios (maybe just start all of Hader, Lugo, Dominguez and Kela/Hughes) and middling in wins and Ks will be enough to win it

Comment

Working...
                X